LGBT Parenting
Options

Need help---not sleeping!

As I have mentioned before in my other posts, I have been struggling to sleep at night. I have tried benadryl but that does not work (I use to take it for my allergies so I think my body built up a tolerance) and my mother suggested hot tea, but I only like it if it is extremely sweet (so that doesn't help any).

I am at a loss and desperate for sleep and I think M might try to smother me if it keeps going as she usually wakes up eventually too.

Does anyone have anything that worked for them???

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Married to M and proud mothers to Olivia and Elise (8/19/2014) and to our fur-babies: Capone (pitbull), Jax and Atticus (cats)

Re: Need help---not sleeping!

• Options
    I strongly suggest guided meditation. SO relaxing and I almost always fall asleep!

TTC our first. Married to, and madly in love with, my beautiful wife. Living with our fur baby and enjoying 19 nieces and nephews. 
    • DW and I have been tracking, preparing, getting medical testing since January 2013.
    • First Cycle: Unmedicated ICI w/ Donor Sperm 08/02/13: BFN
    • Second Cycle: Unmedicated ICI w/ Donor Sperm 09/11/13, 09/13/13, 09/15/13: BFN
    • Third Cycle: Unmedicated ICI w/ Donor Sperm: 10/13/13, 10/15/13, 10/17/13, 10/21/13: BFN
    • January 2014: Sonohysterogram shows excellent lining & tubes have no blockages
    • Fourth Cycle:  Monitored clomid cycle  w/ ICI's at home: 1/24/14 and 1/25/14. Ovulation verified:  BFN
    • Fifth Cycle: 02/2014 Femara 5mg with ovidrel trigger CD14: BFN
    • Taking a few months off to evaluate if we want to keep trying

• Options

Not sure how comfy you are with meds, but my Midwife REPEATEDLY suggested Unisom for my insomnia.  Good luck!

Married to my amazing wife 6/12/10 
    TTC since 6/11
    Unmedicated IUI #1 - 6/28/11 - BFN
    Unmedicated IUI #2 - 7/25/11 - BFN
    Robotic Myomectomy (Fibroid Surgery) - 11/15/11
    Unmedicated IUI #3 - 4/24/12 - BFN 
    Progesterone Supported Leuteal Phase IUI #4 - 6/21/12 - BFP!!
    Baby Boy G Born 3/24/13

On to #2, are we crazy?
    IUI #1 - 11/28/14 - BFP!  Beta #1 (11DPO) 34, Beta #2 (13DPO) 101, Beta #3 (20DPO) 3043
    Ultrasound at 6w4d shows a single, fluttering heartbeat.  Say hello to Sticky Ricki!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Try Melatonin from Schiff that you can get at your pharmacy to help you sleep?
  • Options
    I second Melatonin - it's worked for me on long airplane flights :-)
  • Options
    I can sympathize -- I have had difficulty sleeping since early on in my pregnancy. I will say that I tried a bunch of things (tea before bed: made me pee even more at night; a shower before bed: didn't really do anything for me; a pregnancy pillow: it drove me crazy and ended up on the floor...). For me, my sleep has been going in cycles. I will go a week straight not sleeping hardly at all, and then I will get a little reprieve and have an OK night (still not pre-pregnancy quality sleep) for a few nights. I go from extreme hot to extreme cold at night, I seem to thrash for some reason, I think I have pregnancy-induced restless leg syndrome, I am not comfortable on either side for more than 30 minutes before I have to flip.... I don't know if any of those are the same things that you are experiencing, but I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone. I wish I could recommend a magic solution, but there isn't one that I have been able to find. If you find one -- let me know! Good luck! :)

Me - 30, My wife - 31 , Together for 10 yrs - Married August 2012

5 medicated IUIs w/ RE (March - July 2013) = BFN

Fresh IVF Cycle in September 2013 resulted in 18 mature eggs, 16 fertilized, 12 made it to day 5. Transfer of 2 Grade A blastocysts on 9/15/13, and 10 embryos in the freezer!      *****BFP on 9/25/13 - betas: @10dp5dt = 232; @12dp5dt = 465; @15dp5dt = 1,581   *********William George born June 4, 2014*********
  • Options
    Welcome to early pregnancy! :)

Melatonin is not safe for pregnancy per my naturopath, but she did recommend a magnesium drink mix (it's kinda sour like lemonade) but it helps. I'll get the name for you when I get home.

My yoga teacher suggested having just a little something to eat - I tend to go to sleep fine around 10, but wake up btw 1 and 3 and am usually up 2-3 hours. So, I'm trying to get up and just eat 1/2 an orange, a tiny bowl of cereal, etc. which has helped a lot - I'm usually back to sleep within 30 minutes. I'm trying to get up sooner vs. trying not to and laying there for 2 hours first. Duh.

Honestly, I agree too with @goalieswife that some sort of meditation can help a lot. For me, I think a lot of lack-of-sleep in the beginning was anxiety/excitement of being KU'd.
    Lil'mamaz was born on Aug 21, 2014! She's PERFECT!

It's been a long road to here...
    Me (43) and J (45) - same sex couple. And we don't feel 40+!
    June'12 - First RE Visit
    Sept. '12 - Tubes removed
    Dec. '12 - Donor Egg/Donor Sperm IVF Cycle - 4 good embies!
    Dec. '12 - Fresh transfer, BFP! EDD 8/29/13
    Mar. '13 - Missed m/c at 16w1d, baby boy stopped growing at 15w4d
    Loss due to umbilical cord clot...baby was perfect. :(
    Jul '13 - FET#1 - c/p
    Sept. '13 - FET#2 - BFN
    Dec.' 2, 2013 - FET#3 with our last chance embie - BFP!!!
    Dec' 26, 2013 - hb!!
    EDD 8/20/14 with a baby girl!
    Little S was born on 8/21/14 - 8lb, 14 oz and 20 inches long.
    We live in Seattle and used SRM for our donor egg IVF cycle

imageimageimageimage

• Options
    JGYJGY member
    edited February 2014
    ETA - I am stupid with quotes

Welcome to early pregnancy! :)

Melatonin is not safe for pregnancy per my naturopath, but she did recommend a magnesium drink mix (it's kinda sour like lemonade) but it helps. I'll get the name for you when I get home.

I specifically asked my Midwife about Melatonin and he had to look it up.  He called me immediately and said "NO!"  I wish I'd known about this special concoction that you speak of, 2Mamaz!

Married to my amazing wife 6/12/10 
    TTC since 6/11
    Unmedicated IUI #1 - 6/28/11 - BFN
    Unmedicated IUI #2 - 7/25/11 - BFN
    Robotic Myomectomy (Fibroid Surgery) - 11/15/11
    Unmedicated IUI #3 - 4/24/12 - BFN 
    Progesterone Supported Leuteal Phase IUI #4 - 6/21/12 - BFP!!
    Baby Boy G Born 3/24/13

On to #2, are we crazy?
    IUI #1 - 11/28/14 - BFP!  Beta #1 (11DPO) 34, Beta #2 (13DPO) 101, Beta #3 (20DPO) 3043
    Ultrasound at 6w4d shows a single, fluttering heartbeat.  Say hello to Sticky Ricki!

• Options
    Boo.  I had trouble sleeping pre-pregnancy and during pregnancy, but I responded well to Benadryl (which my OB was fine with me taking).  Wish I had a suggestion for you!  I do recommend going ahead and eating something if you feel hungry.  It was especially hard to get back to sleep if I felt hungry.  Cereal was also my go-to middle of the night snack while pregnant.
  • Options
    I have also mentioned in multiple posts that I do not sleep well.  I took myself off my sleeping medication about 6 months ago and started taking a melatonin mixture.  My RE didn't see to have an issue with it and didn't tell me to stop it once I got pregnant.  Now I am worried from the previous posts that it is not good for the baby.  I have had pregnant friends in the past take it and it was approved by Dr's.  I have thought about switching to Unisom as that seems to be more widely used.  I am going to talk to my RE tomorrow and probably get no sleep tonight :-(
    T & G My wife and I married 9/10/11 in Niagara Falls, NY
    HSG 12/12/12        
    #1 ICI 12/15/12              BFN on 12/29/12
    #2 ICI  1/11/13                BFN 1/28/13                       
    #3 ICI 2/11/13                 BFN

#4 ICI August 2013,  Clomid 100mg    BFN on 8/30/13 
    #5 ICI September-Clomid 100,  mg ICI 8/15 and 8/16,  BFN on 9/3
    #6 ICI October-Clomid 150 mg for 5 days   BFN 10/27
    uterine laparoscopy on 11/14-no endo or cysts
    #7 IUI December-Clomid 150mg    BFP 12/21
    12/23 Beta 51     12/26 Beta 209!
    First ultrasound on January 8th 2014-great healthy heartbeat
    Second Ultrasound January 23 (8 weeks) we got to see and hear the heartbeat
    Third Ultrasound Feb 4th(10 weeks), then will  released to OBGYN'
    It's a GIRL!
    We welcomed Adalyn Cooper Elizabeth on 8/29/14
    She was 7lbs 11oz and 19.6 inches long

Proud foster parents to two little girls ages 2.5 yrs old, M,  and 1 year old, K

• Options
    Ok! I found it - it's Cal-Mag citrate - ingredients are vitamin C, calcium and magnesium. Here's a pic of the one I have :) Sorry it's sideways! And the lime was there for photo styling. Kidding, it was just on the counter.

This was recommended to be by a naturopath no a prenatal advisory visit. She gave me a slew of natural remedies, and this was one of them!

Lil'mamaz was born on Aug 21, 2014! She's PERFECT!

It's been a long road to here...
    Me (43) and J (45) - same sex couple. And we don't feel 40+!
    June'12 - First RE Visit
    Sept. '12 - Tubes removed
    Dec. '12 - Donor Egg/Donor Sperm IVF Cycle - 4 good embies!
    Dec. '12 - Fresh transfer, BFP! EDD 8/29/13
    Mar. '13 - Missed m/c at 16w1d, baby boy stopped growing at 15w4d
    Loss due to umbilical cord clot...baby was perfect. :(
    Jul '13 - FET#1 - c/p
    Sept. '13 - FET#2 - BFN
    Dec.' 2, 2013 - FET#3 with our last chance embie - BFP!!!
    Dec' 26, 2013 - hb!!
    EDD 8/20/14 with a baby girl!
    Little S was born on 8/21/14 - 8lb, 14 oz and 20 inches long.
    We live in Seattle and used SRM for our donor egg IVF cycle

imageimageimageimage

• Options
    Thank you guys so much! I was trying to use melatonin but got a vicious "you need to stop NOW" from both my Dr and acupuncturist b/c they said it was not safe during pregnancy.

I actually might have to do the get up and eat thing. Might really help (and I LOVE cereal!) and I will definitely look up that suggestion for the Cla-Mag citrate!!!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Married to M and proud mothers to Olivia and Elise (8/19/2014) and to our fur-babies: Capone (pitbull), Jax and Atticus (cats)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"