Dads & Dads-to-be

Car battery

polooo27polooo27 member
edited January 2014 in Dads & Dads-to-be
I'm sure everyone here has had to replace one. How I understand it there's generally a Silver battery (2 year warranty) and a Gold battery (3 year warranty). The gold is generally $10 more. I had my battery replaced this weekend. I would have normally gone with the gold, but I had to take it to a mechanic first because the auto store thought it could be the alternator. He told me he put in Interstate batteries because he thought they were the best and it cost $10 more than a standard Gold battery. It was really convenient for him to do it as well.

Anyway, my brother-in-law was trying to convince me all batteries were the same and he just gets the cheapest one. Basically, anytime I make a purchase he acts like he knows everything and tells me I could have got something better for cheaper. I think he's usually talking out of his ass.

Short version - what is your battery of choice?

Car battery 19 votes

Silver (Cheap)
36% 7 votes
Gold +$10
26% 5 votes
Interstate or brand of choice +$10 more
15% 3 votes
Optima + $100
21% 4 votes

Re: Car battery

• Cheapest one.

If you live someplace cold and park outdoors a lot it might be worth it to go higher up.
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BhqjipgCIAAOz7H.jpg
    -My son was born in April 2012. He pretty much rules.
  • I did research this by the way, and he was basically right. 3 companies make all the batteries and they're all basically the same. Interstate just gets more attention because of reputation and some people do really think they are the best.

The more you know.

• Loading the player...
  • I read you want a higher Cold Crank if you're someplace cold. Cold Crank was 590 for all the batteries I saw. Not sure about the Optima but those things are a couple hundred. No thank you.

• RatpastaRatpasta member
    edited January 2014
    you get what you pay for IMHO.  I have more education in motorcycle batteries but in general motorcycle engine have much higher compression and require significantly more cranking power than normal car engines (Diesel's are different of course).
        Let a cheap, conventional battery sit for a few months and it will be totally flat.  Let a modern, solid fuel battery sit for 10 years and it will crank like new.

Personally, I dont want to wonder if my vehicle is going to start when Im out here....

For cars?  Middle of the road is probably best.  The guy that works across the hall from me told me the other day that he just waits until about a week before the warranty is up on his battery and he just takes it in to have it replaced and he says they never test it, just give him a new one!

:))
  • I usually buy the higher cold cranking batteries.  Since I live in Ohio, I need a battery that can turn over the engine in -20°F weather.  I have in the past got the el cheapo batteries from Wal Mart but had no luck with them.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I would think that for extreme temps, people would go with a sealed, solid fuel battery..... the prices can get kind of ridiculous but they are more reliable and much safer.
         Im pretty spoiled on the west coast, never really having to deal with things such as this..... and going from garage to garage....
  • I typically aim middle of the road.
  • I think Silver, Gold, and Interstate would all be considered middle of the road. Here, there are only about 2 months that are really really cold, and even then it usually stays above 0F. I never did find anything that really compared the middle grade batteries (not optima)
  • Interstate might get all those props because they are big time sponsors for Joe Gibbs Racing and they have a NASCAR event every year at Arlington.

Here it is all about cold cranking.  I have an Interstate in my car, and the newer car has an AGM (Absorbent Glass Mat).  It is smaller and it is supposed to last the lifetime of the vehicle. That is all I know about the new battery technology.

• Interstate might get all those props because they are big time sponsors for Joe Gibbs Racing and they have a NASCAR event every year at Arlington.

Here it is all about cold cranking.  I have an Interstate in my car, and the newer car has an AGM (Absorbent Glass Mat).  It is smaller and it is supposed to last the lifetime of the vehicle. That is all I know about the new battery technology.

Yeah, reputation and advertising gets Interstate a lot of attention. I never knew much about batteries. Just always went to the auto store and they put a new one in and never gave it a second thought. Then the mechanic said he considered Interstate to be the best, and really, as a mechanic you have to think something is the best. Then my brother-in-law had a 5-minute battery spfill when I told him this. I just thought, I don't care, my car is fixed.
  • I didn't read Optimas are junk, but that they're for cars with a large system. I would never buy an Optima, but for a different reason. Did your husband say why they're junk though? Just curious.

• And why does he like the gold over the silver? I had a hard time figuring out what the difference was besides the warranty. I asked the guy at the auto parts store and he just said they're better, but not why.
  • My husband builds race/street cars as a hobby. Optimas are junk, dont pay the over inflated price. Interstate batteries are basically the same as the gold. He ALWAYS runs the golds, has never had an issue with cold start, cranking, loss of power at acceleration, or it holding a charge when running a 220amp alternator with dual electric fans (typical car alternators are 60-85amp).

we need more ladies over here talking cars!

^:)^
  • The optimas fail quicker, and wont recharge even on a 24hr slow trickle. Hes never had one last more than a month. They are made of a spiral cell, if one fails the whole battery is bad. We are also in AZ so the heat effects them just as cold would.

From my understanding the difference is the amount of power the battery puts out at starting, lighting, and ignition.

:-O

well need more I Tells ya!!!
  • So I get to leave work early yesterday, and I figure I can get a few beers and a round of GTA V in before the wife and kid get home.  I am flying home in my 200 Grand Cherokee, hit a pothole, and a few blocks later I start to hear a low whining noise that is quickly intensifying.  Soon, I get a check guage light on my dash, and a check battery on my center console.

Shit, I am still a long way from home, a long way from my regular garage, and gaming time is ticking away here, man!!  Get on my phone, find the nearest garage, and make it there.  By this time, I know it is belt-related, just not certain if it is the belt, pulley or idler.

Turns out to be the pulley and idler.  $185.

This is the LAST WINTER I am driving this car!  It has gotten us through many years, and many home jobs, but I am DONE! These little items of winter time are starting to add up in the wallet.  Screw that, time for a second car note next fall! 

• I have NO IDEA!!! And I also had noooo idea car batteries contained water! My battery needed water and DH was not home. I'm 30 and got scolded by my dad. He made me go outside with him and "water" my battery! I now have basic oil and car battery knowledge thanks to my dad!
    imageimageimage
    As soon as I saw you, I knew an adventure was going to happen - Winnie the Pooh

Married 8/22/09
    Pregnancy 1- EDD 11/21/10 NMC @ 6 weeks
    Pregnancy 2 - Rainbow DS born 1/15/11
    Pregnancy 3 - EDD 5/2/14 NMC @ 6 weeks 9/4/13
    Pregnancy 4 - EDD 6/11/14 BO @ 9 weeks D&C 11/8/13
     AF arrived 12/18/13
    BENCH IS BURNED 2/2014
    TTA until May/Jun
    WOW!!! I'm pregnant!!! BFP 6/8/14 Rainbow on the way EDD 2/14/15
    If there ever comes a day where we can't be together, keep me in your heart, I'll stay there forever -
    Winnie the Pooh

imageimage
    BabyFruit Ticker

• So I get to leave work early yesterday, and I figure I can get a few beers and a round of GTA V in before the wife and kid get home.  I am flying home in my 200 Grand Cherokee, hit a pothole, and a few blocks later I start to hear a low whining noise that is quickly intensifying.  Soon, I get a check guage light on my dash, and a check battery on my center console.

Shit, I am still a long way from home, a long way from my regular garage, and gaming time is ticking away here, man!!  Get on my phone, find the nearest garage, and make it there.  By this time, I know it is belt-related, just not certain if it is the belt, pulley or idler.

Turns out to be the pulley and idler.  $185.

This is the LAST WINTER I am driving this car!  It has gotten us through many years, and many home jobs, but I am DONE! These little items of winter time are starting to add up in the wallet.  Screw that, time for a second car note next fall! 

you know that's a Chrysler product, right.... and not one with a very good track record.....

• That year, not so much.  The 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee we have is straight dope. 

• polooo27polooo27 member
    edited February 2014
    mrsmechanic1 - That makes me feel better. I basically paid $10 more for the Interstate over the Gold. The $10 was worth it for the convenience, plus he was my normal mechanic. I'd feel bad having him diagnose it and then not give him the work over 10 bucks. Oh, and he didn't charge my for diagnostic either, he said over the phone that would be 30 bucks.
  • polooo27 said:
    mrsmechanic1 - That makes me feel better. I basically paid $10 more for the Interstate over the Gold. The $10 was worth it for the convenience, plus he was my normal mechanic. I'd feel bad having him diagnose it and then not give him the work over 10 bucks. Oh, and he didn't charge my for diagnostic either, he said over the phone that would be 30 bucks.
    Nah, for the convenience of not having to go somewhere else, $10 is totally worth it.  At least to me.  Just be glad it wasn't an alternator problem.  That shit's ridiculous!  It's nice to have someone that can do labor for me for free.  MH probably doesn't feel that way...

The auto places here put in batteries for free. They probably just make money off the part. I only went to my mechanic because they thought it was the alternator, but told me to get a 2nd opinion. I was looking at $550 if that was the case. $200 for the part and $350 for labor. So yeah, I was glad it was only the cost of a battery. I can handle that.
  • @mrsmechanic1 - I tend to agree. They are only good for so much. Free battery testing is one of those, but I guess it's still not perfect because their read out said alternator and my mechanic said battery after looking at it for 2 minutes. Now that I know my mechanic will do free battery testing as well I'll probably skip the auto places from here on out. Unless it's a weekend, in this case it happened to be a Saturday.

• That year, not so much.  The 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee we have is straight dope. 
    I know the GC has topped unreliable lists for quite a long time as Chrysler has tried to get its shit together.  They have improved a bit for sure but since Fiat bought them, I don't think much has improved as three of the top 10 least reliable listed here are Chrysler products....

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2012/10/most-and-least-reliable-new-cars-by-brand/index.htm

I dont have a ton on personal experience driving them but I can say that the PT Cruiser is probably the worst car I have ever driven.  I have no idea what the hell they were thinking when they built that pile or....whatever it is
  • I just want to add that every web page I go to now has a battery advertisement.
  • Ratpasta said:
    That year, not so much.  The 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee we have is straight dope. 
    I know the GC has topped unreliable lists for quite a long time as Chrysler has tried to get its shit together.  They have improved a bit for sure but since Fiat bought them, I don't think much has improved as three of the top 10 least reliable listed here are Chrysler products....

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2012/10/most-and-least-reliable-new-cars-by-brand/index.htm

I dont have a ton on personal experience driving them but I can say that the PT Cruiser is probably the worst car I have ever driven.  I have no idea what the hell they were thinking when they built that pile or....whatever it is

Mercedes is very big in their design and manufacture now.  The transmission is Benz product, and the new engine build is very, very sweet.  Have not had one problem with the 2013.  A lot has changes with Jeep, and Chrysler is pretty much relegated to dealership role with this car.

https://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/Jeep_Grand-Cherokee/2013/ 

• Ratpasta said:
    That year, not so much.  The 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee we have is straight dope. 

Mercedes is very big in their design and manufacture now.  The transmission is Benz product, and the new engine build is very, very sweet.  Have not had one problem with the 2013.  A lot has changes with Jeep, and Chrysler is pretty much relegated to dealership role with this car.

https://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/Jeep_Grand-Cherokee/2013/ 

I heard the Benz pulled out, is that not true?  If it is true I can see them moving in a better direction just as long as they dont try to engineer themselves out of business like Mercedes is doing now..... same as BMW
  • I had a chrysler 300, biggest pile of shit car. 6 dead lifters at just 4yrs old. Who needs 2 sets of lower control arms, chrysler, 2nd set they call a tension rod thats held in by bushings that literally disintegrate after the first year, you guessed it also not warrantied eventho the part has been remade by them.

Regarding parts store mechanics, there has been several times my husband has proven one and his manager wrong when trying to sell other customers parts they didnt need.

Jesus.... that's a horror story right there...... one year and it needed bushings?  I would have gone postal.
        The wife and I took a bit of a chance last year when we bought a Passat TDI.  I had never had a diesel before and it was the first run of cars off the line at the new plant in Tennessee but it's been bulletproof so far.  *knock knock*  plus we liked the idea that we were actually paying American workers for our car.
        That dammed thing will take four adults very comfortably with the AC on, a jam-packed trunk full of crap 700 miles on one tank of fuel and get 45 mpg in the process.  It's absolutely amazing.

• polooo27polooo27 member
    edited February 2014
    MiracleBByE - Wonder if your husband was in the store I was in. The print out said alternator and the employee thought maybe it was. A customer was asking questions about the numbers listed and he thought it was the battery. Customer turned out to be right.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"