Multiples
Options

I need opinions! Shower Date *2nd UPDATE*

linds2417linds2417 member
edited February 2014 in Multiples
Hi everybody, So my MIL wants to have a shower for me in my DH's town which is an hour and a half drive from where I currently live. (DH would be coming along) She wants to have the shower when I'm 33 weeks which I think is too risky. I'm making my own mother have my hometown shower no later than 30 weeks. I plan on asking my Dr what she thought about it. Does anyone else think this is risky or am I just being crazy?? Also, how do I tell her no without hurting her feelings? I think the reason she wants it later is so that she has her tax refund by then.
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: I need opinions! Shower Date *2nd UPDATE*

• Options
    I wouldn't never agree to that.  With a multiple pregnancy, you should try to have everything done by 28 weeks.  There's a good chance you could be on bed rest by then, if not already delivering your babies. Tell your MIL that your OB doesn't want to you be more than 30 minutes from the hospital after 30 weeks. 
    Double the love
    photo Eastercollage_zps0735f04a.jpg
    7/30/12 - B/G twins born at 33w4d due to PPROM
  • Options
    If your dr lets you travel, just make sure she is aware of the likelihood of cancellation. If possible to do earlier, then that's probably best.

Married 8/2008. IVF with PGD March 2013.
    3/22 ER: 25R, 20M, 15F. 9 genetically normal, and 3 survived to Day 5
    3/27 ET: transferred 1 embryo, beta 9dp5dt=163, 12dp5dt=639
    4/25 1st ultrasound at 7 weeks = identical twins with heartbeats?!!!
    PPROM at 31w, delivery at 32 weeks of two beautiful girls
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    As long as you don't have complications, I would be ok with going an hour and a half out of town at 33 weeks (if your doctor OKs it). However, I am exhausted right now at 32 weeks and a shower would definitely be tough and exhausting. My biggest problem would be that there's no way to know how things will be going and there's a high likelihood that you won't be up for it or your doc says no. MIL needs to be ok with the fact that it could get cancelled. I would ask to move it up, and if it's not possible & you don't feel comfortable with it, I would play the "doctor said no" card and decline.
    Induction of mo/di twin boys scheduled for 2/24! Pregnancy Ticker}
  • Options
    Thank you ladies!! I was starting to feel guilty or like I was overreacting glad to know I'm not! 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    You're definitely not overreacting. When I was 34ish weeks DH's family had their Christmas get-together an hour away. We didn't go. Granted, I was also under orders from my MFM to come in for monitoring if I had more than 6 contractions in an hour....which I did that night. Point is, anything goes at the end....you might be feeling great, or you might not be able to get off the couch, or anything in between. When you bring it up to your MIL, approach it like you're doing her a favor b/c you'd hate for her to do all that planning just for you not to be able to attend. And feel free to blame your doctor (regardless of what your doctor actually says, kwim? ;) ) GL!
  • Options
    I had mine scheduled for 28 weeks...my water broke at 26 weeks and I was on hospital bed rest until I delivered. They did the shower anyways without me there!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Check out my blog: http://blondheimtwins.blogspot.com/

• Options
    Having mine at 25w if I can help it, but no later than 28.
  • Options
    My shower was 2 hrs away- my hostess also wanted to host it at 32 weeks- I said no.  The shower was when I was 28 weeks- and trust me I was wiped from all the traveling when I got back.
  • Options

I wouldn't agree to have it that late.  I'm having mine this Saturday and I'll be 26 weeks.  I would hate for someone to spend a bunch of money and plan a shower for me and then have something happen where I couldn't make it. 

Showers can be done inexpensively and still be nice, I wouldn't push back the shower just to wait for her tax refund.

• Options
    I am having mine at 25 weeks, granted it is a plane ride away. Locally I would want it to be less than 28 weeks for sure!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Options
    Mine are 25 and 28 weeks. My mom wanted to plan the 28 week one at 32 weeks and I politely pointed out that I'd be more comfortable (physically!) having it earlier.I wouldn't want to do 33 wks :(

• Options
    I had this problem when scheduling mine.. I wanted mine to be before 30 weeks.. I wanted only 1 or 2.. but  people insisted on having their own soo I have 5 different showers.. 2 of them were scheduled before 30 weeks.. but my shower last weekend got canceled and rescheduled for 32 weeks (stupid weather ).. I didn't want them that late but now I don't have a choice because I dont have any other dates available because of working weekends and then I have 3 other showers to work around.  I hope I don't end up on bedrest but I am almost 30 weeks soo I hope I can make it a couple more weeks!  My cervix was great today, Soo I will keep my fingers crossed!  But yes I know I will be uncomfortable and wish I could of had them earlier! Especially I like to have things ready and be prepared soo that is killing me !!
    BabyFetus Ticker

TTC SINCE 7/2010, BFP-10/2010 ended in miscarriage 11/2010 : (.....
    Progesterone level 4/2011= 11.29. SA normal. HSG normal.
    8/11 Clomid 50mg=BFN progesterone level 35,
    10/11 Clomid 50mg =BFN progesterone level 31,
    11/11 Clomid 50mg=BFN progesterone level 12,
    12/11 Clomid 50mg=Progesterone 31
    01/12-Break from meds-BFN
    Feb-cd3 blood work FSH(5), AMH(0.56) 02/12 Break....
    03/01/12-Clomid 50mg with IUI #1=BFN.
    04/01/12-Another round of clomid with IUI#2=BFN.
    5/8/12-Diagnostic Laparoscopy-found minimal endometriosis and small fibriod.
    June and July-much needed break
    August-Bravelle 75 with IUI#3- BFN
    September-Bravelle injects with IUI #4-BFP!! MC 10/7/12 : ( Sonohysterogram-Normal
    December- Bravelle(3 good follicles & E2 1252) with IUI#5 BFFN :*(
    July IVF #1- BFP! : )  Beta #1-245, #2- 703, #3- 1655, #4- 3553 YAY!  Praying and Praying this one sticks around!
                      1st U/S scheduled for Aug 23rd!  
    Twins!!
    We are having a BOY & a GIRL !!

• Options
    Hi All! I just wanted to post an update. After speaking with my Dr. who advised me to stay close to home after 30 weeks, my DH told my MIL....who offered to move it from 33 weeks to 31 weeks. She told him it was too late to have it Feb 22nd which was the original date we had all agreed upon before she asked about March 22nd and said that if March doesn't work then we can just have it after the babies are born.... ugh!!!! So now my options are 31 weeks or post babies with 2 newborns?!?! 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Why does she need that long to plan??  I figure you need two weeks max and that's really only for invites and to give people time to rsvp.  Personally I'd tell her no thanks.  Is there anyone else that would throw you a shower?
  • Options
    Jamie718 said:
    Why does she need that long to plan??  I figure you need two weeks max and that's really only for invites and to give people time to rsvp.  Personally I'd tell her no thanks.  Is there anyone else that would throw you a shower?
    I'm not sure.. at this point it seems like shes being difficult just to be difficult! My mom is throwing me a shower in my town at the 30 week mark... But my MIL insisted on doing her own separate one because a lot of DH family is elderly and wouldn't make the trip up. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Now she's being difficult. Your dr advised you against it. Why wouldn't she want to do what's best for you? She needs to calm herself down a little and be respectful of your situation.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

"To be pregnant is to be vitally alive, thoroughly woman, and undoubtedly inhabited" - Anne Buchanan
  • Options
    That's crazy! But you're also kinder than I am. I told my mother she could throw the shower anytime between 20-24w but no later. We'll be traveling 9+ hours to get there with all the stops I know I'll have to make, so I don't feel bad cutting her off. I haven't issued the same ultimatum to my MIL because they live 20 minutes away. However, I will be having a conversation with her about just how uncomfortable I'll probably be in the final weeks and that earlier is better than later.

My only advice would be to do what's best for your health and the babies. Just the fact she wants to go against your Dr.'s instructions makes me wonder about her priorities.

IVF1: 2/2/2013 - ectopic
    FET1: 11/13/2013 - BFP! TWINS!
    L U/S: 1/27, Babies measuring 14w3d
    Graduate from RE: 1/27
    EDD: 7/31/2014

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

This isn't a wedding, if invites go out this weekend, people have three solid weeks to decide if they are coming and shop for a gift.

I had my shower at 31 weeks.  I was on bedrest, at the point of exhaustion all the time. We just did it at my house.  No way in heck would I had been up to a 90 minute drive to be at a party were I was away from my recliner. 

And after babies?  You want to pack up two newborns for a 90 minute drive when they eat every 2-3 hours?  Forget it.  I'd tell her if she wants to host a shower and have you present, it must be by Feb 22 (or whatever date), or not at all, including after they are born.  If it's any later there is zero guarantee that you will be able to attend. 

FWIW - I delivered mine at 35w6d, and they were in NICU for a week.  We didn't take them anywhere but to the doctors for a couple months (then we flew cross-country because we are crazy).

TTC since May 2006. After 3 failed Clomid cycles, 2 failed Injectibles/IUIs, 2 failed IVFs and 1 failed FET, we moved on to adoption! 

Last ditch FET resulted in BFP, and identical twin girls!

• Options
    I would say "thanks but no thanks". Your MIL is totally being difficult. You can't do it before and there is no way I would do it after with 2 newborns.

imageimageimage
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    raraavis28raraavis28 member
    edited February 2014
    Yeah, you're not going anywhere w/ two newborns....and 31 weeks also isn't a great option. At that point I'd just say "thanks but no thanks." If people really want to get you gifts they can send them to you, but expecting you to show up to a party over an hour away is not the most realistic....and your doctor said no travel after 30 weeks, so that's that.

Ditto PPs; if she really wants to throw a shower, she can simplify and throw it sooner. That's what would be in your best interest, anyway, which is all that should matter.
  • Options
    You aren't being crazy, your MIL is just being difficult. I second/third/fourth saying if it can't be by X date it doesn't happen at all. End of story. My doctor actually said no long distance travel after 24-26 weeks so my family shower (7 hours away) is at 23 weeks, shower with my friends is at 27. Supposedly my ILs are throwing me a shower but they know I can't travel to them so who knows. I've not heard anything else about it so I'm ignoring it all.
    image  image
    О Привязать! Z!
    The Science Babies debuted 5/6/14 @ 34 weeks
  • Options
    Eh, I'll dissent and say that 90 minutes is not that far.  When your doctor said no travel did s/he know you were referring to a 90 minute drive?  It's not that far in distance, but it probably takes me 90 minutes to get from work to my hospital and I'm still working at 31 weeks.  I think your biggest risk at 31 or 33 weeks is if you deliver early you could miss it, but I wouldn't refuse a shower because of that possibility.
    TTC with PCOS since July 2011.
    IVF Oct/Nov 2012
    Beta #1 = 77, Beta #2 = 190, Beta #3 = 1044
    Cautiously optimistic.
  • Options
    Ok so as of today, I accepted her offer of a shower at 31 weeks. She explained to DH that she really wouldn't be able to afford one for Feb 22. So me being me I started to feel bad, I just explained that if something happens beforehand I won't be able to make it, obviously. My mothers is the week before and its pretty much the same thing if i deliver early I won't be there. Yes I wish it was closer to home or earlier in Feb and most likely I will be miserable since I'm uncomfortable every day. It just wasn't worth the fight and added stress anymore and DH really wanted to have a shower with his side of the family, even though he knows how difficult his mom is being. Thanks for all the opinions wish it could have worked more in my favor!! 
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"