Stay at Home Moms
Options

Really high fat yogurt?

What do you do with it?? 

I've been eating a lot of plain yogurt lately and asked DH to pick some up for me from the store last night. Well, he brought home 11% milk fat greek yogurt! I didn't even know the percentages went that high! Sometimes I'll treat myself to a 3.5% yogurt as a dessert option, and that's fatty enough... this 11% stuff is unpleasantly rich. Plus it's plain... so it essentially tastes like butter. 

What should I do with it? I can't just eat it with fruit like I have been doing... maybe in some sort of baking? Ideas? 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Really high fat yogurt?

• Options
    I make Greek chicken and taziki (sp?) with it. Let me know if you want the recipe it is a family favorite.
  • Options
    We buy balkan style yogurt, it's 6% milk fat. Besides eating it as is, I also use it as a marinade for chicken, with some lemon juice and either oregano, salt and pepper or some chicken seasoning. Also make tzaziki, or cucumber-yogurt salad with a bit of salad and dried mint.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Good ideas! AG, do you put the yogurt on the chicken as well? I've never heard of that... if someone has a good recipe, I'd love to try it! 

• Options
    Pinned! It'll be on my meal plan for next week :)

• Options
    Well, that yogurt sounds delicious. I'd just add some fruit or honey and eat it as dessert. 
  • Options
    I make the kids homemade popsicles with a splash of oj and honey. i mix it with frozen berries from my garden. we solely by high fat yogurt--its so yummy.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I know which one you are talking about.  I give that to DD for breakfast.  She loves it.  I'm not sure when I'll be switching from that full fat to a lower fat one. 

Never! Kids (and adults) should have a diet rich in healthy fats. taking out fat takes out nutrients too. ::steps off soapbox::
  • Options
    we use it instead of sour cream on tacos/burritos, on baked potatoes, in chicken salad.

DS still gets whole milk yogurt too.
  • Options
    We/I just eat it! Sometimes with a little honey or fruit. It also makes a decent sour cream substitute for dips, on top of potatoes, etc.
  • Options
    What KC said! Full fat dairy 4evah.
    DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Options

KC_13 said:

I know which one you are talking about.  I give that to DD for breakfast.  She loves it.  I'm not sure when I'll be switching from that full fat to a lower fat one. 

Never! Kids (and adults) should have a diet rich in healthy fats. taking out fat takes out nutrients too. ::steps off soapbox::

@nosoup4u and @KC_13: I agree but then after this post I got kind of stressed out and google.  It seems like per google that I should be going to 2% milk and low fat yogurt.  However, I am currently whole milk and full fat greek yogurt it's the 11% one mentioned.  I think they are healthy fats and so I don't see an issue.  Although I'm still concerned....
    That's because some in the medical community are still dumb enough to believe healthy fats make kids obese. of course it couldn't be because kids are more sedentary and eat too much processed foods...
  • Options
    @jellybellystar, just saw this now. Here are some good links. Basically, Americans have been convinced that fat = bad, when in actuality it's carbs that are much much worse for us.

https://blog.massivehealth.com/infographics/Carbs_are_killing_you/

Gary Taubes has written two books about it (Why We Get Fat is the shorter read): https://garytaubes.com/

And here's an op-ed from Nina Planck about the benefits of whole milk. Milk with all its milk fat is a complete food, which is a good thing.
    DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"