Birthday Parties
Options

2nd Birthday Party Food question

We are having our little ones party at the little gym. The party will be from 3:30 until 5:00pm with gym time ending at 4:30 so that leaves 30 minutes for food and cake. I am trying to decide between only having snack food or if we should also order pizzas??
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: 2nd Birthday Party Food question

• Options
    Honestly, with only 30 minutes, I'd consider only doing cake.  By the time you get it cut and served there won't be much time for eating.  If you want a few other options, I'd do chips and pretzels.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I don't think you can go wrong here.  I think, with the party ending by 5, snacks alone are sufficient.  That being said, giving my kid snacks and cake at 4:30 would probably mean he wouldn't eat dinner, so personally, I would appreciate (but not expect) something more substantial.

We went to a birthday party this weekend at a kiddie place and one of the things they did, which worked really well, was to have the meal set up in the room first, and then usher the kids in.  So the table had a plate for each kid with a slice of pizza, some grapes, pretzels, and goldfish already on it.  The kids filed in and got right to eating.  I think we were in the food room for 45 minutes and that gave the kids time to eat, do cake, and play a couple games after they were done with the cake.
    June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'd say snacks are plenty...they'll be so focused on getting out there playing that they probably won't finish their food which would be a waste for you ;) Grapes...pretzels...cheese cubes...goldfish...etc (that's what I used at our son's 2nd party and the kid's ate it up!)
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I would do cake and some little snacks maybe. Ending at 5 is so early for dinner.
  • Options
    I'd do pizza. People leaving at 5 will have to deal with trying to feed sugared up hyped out kids... NO fun.
  • Options

I'd serve snacks...not pizza.  It is too early for dinner but a substantial snack will enable the parents to get the kids home without them hunger-induced meltdowns.

As a guest I would appreciate a mix of healthier snacks (as those mentioned above) far more than greasy pizza that is typically served at parties.  But I'm kind of a pizza snob so take that FWIW!  :)

• Options

Great advice all! Thank you. A friend of mine had her party at this same place and had snacks only including goldfish, fruit and cheezies and one of the other moms who is a friend and will be at mine passed the comment to me that she thought it was disgusting that they didn't have something better for the kids to eat like pizza or sandwiches....

She also thought it was crazy that they nothing for the adults.

ANy thoughts?

• Options
    I think disgusting is a little bit of a stretch...

As far as food for adults, when I host a party, I always make sure there's enough food for kids and parents, as well as food adults would like (so not just pb&j).  HOWEVER, I never expect to be fed when I go to a kid's party.  Because it's not about me, it's about the kids.  And I can always grab something later for myself. 
    June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"