TTC After a Loss

Hydrosonogram related

I went to the RE this week where I was given an hydrosonogram. The doctor saw something small in my uterus. He said it wasn’t a fibroid or a polyp, he really didn’t know what it was. He said if it were scar tissue, it would be waving around as the nurse pushed the fluid through.

The very next day when I saw him he went back to his uncertainty… It could be a polyp, or maybe scar tissue? I took a pregnancy test to conclude that the hormone was completely gone.

The RE suggested surgery to remove whatever is inside, when I went to my OB and told him about this, he advised me to not get surgery. Not getting surgery is my gut feeling and even though we all say something on the ultrasound, I just don’t feel concerned about it. My OB said that he was confident he got everything out when I had my D&C, he reminded me that I have had 2 perfect periods since then and I am not in pain. He doesn’t want me getting a surgery if it might not be anything wrong since it can weaken the cervix.

Also, the RE said it could just be a “flap of skin” caused by the catheter going in.

I am wondering if any ladies here had the same procedure done after getting a D&C or getting this procedure done for some other reason. Was there something in your uterus? How did you handle it?

TIA!

Re: Hydrosonogram related

• rox825rox825 member
    edited January 2014

Hi- I had a saline sonogram after my D&C before I started treatment again to make sure that there was no scar tissue.  My RE saw something and said, could be a polyp, could be lining that was disturbed from the catheter, could be scar tissue, could be retained products.  I did have a hysteroscopy to remove it because I didn't want anything there that could interfere with implantation in the future.  Turns out it was retained products, which is important to remove because it's dead tissue that can eventually lead to infection if left untreated.  I had also had a normal period after my D&C and before the sonogram, and had no indication that there was anything there.  I've had 3 hysteroscopies now done by 2 doctors for various reasons, and haven't been told at any point that they damage/weaken the cervix.  Hope that's not the case!

ETA- my RE gave me the option to do the hysteroscopy or wait and do a repeat saline sono the following cycle to see if it resolved on its own, and if not do the surgery at that point.  I just wanted to be done and move on so I opted to do it right away.  But you could check again next month?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC since Sept 2011, Unexplained IF
    Oct 12 - Jan 14: 3 clomid/TI cycles, 2 hysteroscopies, 2 IUIs, 1 BFP (MMC @ 12w), 2 more IUIs
    Feb 14: Gonal-f + IUI #5 = BFP! (EDD 11/4/14)
    Baby boy arrived 11/13/14!

• It was not a fun experience to be honest... I would hate to have another saline sonogram.

Sorry, I should explain, my OB said multiple surgery can weaken the cervix because you are stretching it.

The problem is nobody knows what it is, I kind of want to do the procedure where they stick a camera inside of you just to see what it is. I think jumping right to surgery is just extreme.
  • Loading the player...
  • The problem is nobody knows what it is, I kind of want to do the procedure where they stick a camera inside of you just to see what it is. I think jumping right to surgery is just extreme.

That's what a hysteroscopy is- they use a telescope camera through the cervix into the uterus to take a look, and then if they see something that needs to be removed they can do it at the same time.  So it can be diagnostic or operative and it's considered a surgical procedure, so probably what your RE meant.  I did a lot of research before my first, and I really don't remember reading anything about it weakening the cervix (and the REs who have done mine haven't mentioned that as a risk either).  So you could wait a cycle and check again, or if you just want to deal with it now, go for the hysteroscopy and ask for IV sedation.  It's a really easy procedure!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC since Sept 2011, Unexplained IF
    Oct 12 - Jan 14: 3 clomid/TI cycles, 2 hysteroscopies, 2 IUIs, 1 BFP (MMC @ 12w), 2 more IUIs
    Feb 14: Gonal-f + IUI #5 = BFP! (EDD 11/4/14)
    Baby boy arrived 11/13/14!

• I also wanted to add that in my ultrasound the thing in question was small and bright white. I had my hcg drawn also and the levels were at 0.

I figured if it were scar tissue I would try the natural route to dissolve it (or at least try to)
  • I also wanted to add that in my ultrasound the thing in question was small and bright white. I had my hcg drawn also and the levels were at 0.

I figured if it were scar tissue I would try the natural route to dissolve it (or at least try to)

@TwoByTwilight what do you mean by naturally dissolving scar tissue??

BFP#4 3/17/14 - rainbow Baby BOY arrived 11/10/14 !!

DX: Uterine Septum - Resection 9/5/13 || MTHFR Hetero A1298C || My Chart

image    image

• And of course my story.

I had a non-operative hysteroscopy and we saw something, initially thought septum, but it didn't have the normal appearance.

Then I had a pelvic MRI for evaluation of this WTF mystery tissue. My MRI results were normal, nothing abnormal found.

Next I had a saline-ultrasound where a septum was identified & confirmed.

My RE didn't think my septum was large & probably didn't cause my losses, so it was up to me if I wanted to remove it or not.

We decided not to remove it. So I got pg again & had a 3rd loss. During my d&c RE said he had no idea wtf was going on my ute but it was jacked up.

Then I had a operative hysteroscopy and it really did end up being a septum and much larger than any other test was suggestive of.

My advice is to be proactive. You never know what might be there and sometimes additional testing is needed to figure out exactly what's going on.

BFP#4 3/17/14 - rainbow Baby BOY arrived 11/10/14 !!

DX: Uterine Septum - Resection 9/5/13 || MTHFR Hetero A1298C || My Chart

image    image

• I had a sonohyst. done back in November and there was something obstructing the flow of the saline.  At that point I had had 3 D&C's in 13 months.  We met with a RE and did a operative hysteroscopy almost 3 weeks ago.  It was scar tissue and was removed.  I definitely have fear of having an IC if we get that far along in any pregnancy but I didn't want to take the chances of the scar tissue interfering with any future pregnancies.  My doctors know and will continue to hear about my concerns about IC so that I can be closely monitored when/if we get to that point.

Personally I would be pro-active and have the hysteroscopy prior to any future pregnancies; especially since you don't know what it is.  
    Married the love of my life June 18, 2011 -- Me (28) DH (29)
    TTC #1 since June 2012
    BFP #1 6.29.12 EDD 3.12.13 MMC discovered 8.11.12 9w5d D&C 8.15.12
    BFP #2 11.2.12 EDD 7.14.13 MMC 6w5d discovered 8w6d 2 failed rounds miso D&C 12.27.12
    BFP #3 8.5.13 EDD 4.18.14 MMC 7w4d discovered 9.25.13 at 10w6d -Trisomy 13- 1 round miso & emergency D&C 10.2.13
    RPL Testing. DX Asherman's November 2013. Low AMH (0.44) January 2014. 
    Operative Hysteroscopy January 2014 to remove scar tissue.
    BFP#4 6.18.14 EDD 3.3.15 Team Pink
    --AL always welcome--
  • Please get it checked out. It's really not worth having another loss for something that can be rather easily corrected.

I had scaring and it had to be surgically removed. After my SIS when the doctor was able to break through the scaring on my cervix it brought my period back. So, had they not seen "something" on that u/s I likely would have never known.

I know these things are scary but like my ladies @kmw08 @jap618 have already explained to you it's important to have these things looked at and corrected if need be.

Best of luck.

P.S scaring would not flap around since usually it is fixed to either side of the ute.
  • I just did the hysterscopy, in my doctors office they do a hydrosonogram in one office and a hysterscopy in another with the camera. If you need surgery you either go to the hospital or at a location of there's that perform surgery.

Anyway, I haven't updated since I was back and forth about having surgery or the camera done. Well I got the camera done today and whatever was in my uterus is now gone.

The doc said it could have been mucus or a flap from the hydrosonogram procedure. Either way, it's perfect and I'm happy I didn't go directly to surgery.

Thank you all for your input and help!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"