Working Moms
Options

Illegal HR questions.

What are HR allowed to and not allowed to ask? I sat in an interview today and allowed the HR director to lead the interview and I felt VERY uncomfortable  with some of the questions that were asked IE do you live alone, do you have a sibling and do you get along, what are your pet peeves, how do you deal with bitchy women… I was shocked embarrassed and would have not been surprised if she had walked out. I would have. UGH So were any of these questions unethical.

Re: Illegal HR questions.

• Options
    Those sound more like personality screening questions. I'm often skeeved out by personal questions in a workplace, too. Totally NMS.

• Options
    From my understanding, it is not illegal to ask personal questions, it is illegal to make hiring decisions based on discrimination over personal information such as marital status, whether you have kids, etc. So most employers refrain from asking questions that could cause discrimination. The only question you mentioned that sounds out of line is do you live alone. Also it is very unprofessional if he actually used the term "bitchy women".
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    It is illegal to make a hiring decision based on someone being a member of a protected class. In practice, this translates to avoiding any questions which could lead to identifying someone as such. The questions themselves are not illegal, but it's bad practice, and unprofessional. 
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

• Options
    VORVOR member
    The HR director needs to take an interviewing class.  With a couple of those questions, I can see what he/she might have been getting at.  Asking about dealing w/ a "bitchy woman" is horrid, but they could have asked "Tell me about a time that you've worked w/ an employee who was particularly hard to get along with.  What did you do and how did you handle them?".
  • Options
    Right @VDR I chimed in at that point and said or tell me a time when working with someone was deemed difficult and how were you able to resolve the situation and shot the HR lady a look of horror.
  • Options
    This person does not need to be interviewing people. Totally unprofessional! If I was the candidate I would have run away. I'd def recommend following up w/someone above her before her behavior does too much damage to your company's rep.
  • Options
    This person does not need to be interviewing people. Totally unprofessional! If I was the candidate I would have run away. I'd def recommend following up w/someone above her before her behavior does too much damage to your company's rep.
  • Options
    kgrobot said:
    This is also right. I would never, ever, ever accept a job for a company whose interviewer used the term "bitchy women", ever. I would have to be realllllly desperate. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"