May 2014 Moms
Options

When are you starting to count?

I've heard 26, 27, or 28 weeks. Just wondering what others are being told. I am 26 weeks, and I feel like my baby was super active last week, but this week she is Ms. Mellow. I read that activity slows down with growth spurts, but not sure. I have a Doppler and I hear her moving all around when I need reassurance. I've also read that a movement pattern should be established around this time.

Re: When are you starting to count?

• Options
    I was told to start counting at about 28 weeks by my doctor. He gave conflicting info though when I looked at my "kick counter" paper and the first week listed was 26
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    My doctor said between 26-27 weeks. Didn't really give much details to me about it though.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My doctor said between 26-27 weeks. Didn't really give much details to me about it though.
  • Options
    My doctor said 28 weeks I should start. 10 kicks an hour. 
    Follow Me on Pinterest

Lucy

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm 26 weeks, my Dr. hasn't mentioned it yet. I don't see her again until 28 weeks, so I will be at least that far along before she has me start, if at all. I didn't know this was a thing til someone posted about it a cpl weeks back. DD is very active tho, so I'm not worrying about it.

• Options
    We do kick counts at 28 weeks.

imageimageimage

• Options
    mmks said:
    Kicks?  I never did with my son.  Don't plan to do it with this one.  Sign me up for negligent mother status.
    Negligent mom here too. I don't count. I just try to stay aware of patterns. DS was a deep sleeper and would go completely still for hours at a time.

DS: 11/8/11 | 9 lb 7 oz, 22 in
    DD: 5/22/14 | 9 lb 9 oz, 21.5 in

• Options
    My OB has never mentioned it. As a FTM I'm curious the point? Just to see consistency?
  • Options
    jenb_99 said:
    mmks said:
    Kicks?  I never did with my son.  Don't plan to do it with this one.  Sign me up for negligent mother status.
    Negligent mom here too. I don't count. I just try to stay aware of patterns. DS was a deep sleeper and would go completely still for hours at a time.
    That makes three of us! If he ever stops kicking for more than a couple of hours at a time I'll worry. That's pretty unlikely since he's such a wiggle worm though 
  • Options
    My midwives don't do them. They just advise you to be aware. I went in last time to get checked out because I hadn't felt dd at all one day, so I called around 3 pm after trying all the "get baby moving" tricks. She was obviously fine, but I like that system much better than actual counts.

imageimage image

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Last time I was at my dr's appt, she said they don't really do them until 32 weeks. Id be ok if we never did that. It's just another thing for me to be hyper focused on and stressed about.

imageimage

• Options
    My OB said not until at least 28 weeks.

Mommy to my sweet boy, JG, born May 15, 2014

Baby #2 due 4/26/16!

• Options
    My OB & hospital L&D only ask you to do it if you're worried about decreased movement, but not as a routine thing to do. Most of the time it will reassure you & save you a trip to L&D.
  • Options
    My doctor also doesn't ask for me to this too much unneeded stress. If I'm worried I drink some juice and lay down until I feel movement, but no official counts!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Nora - 10.26.12

Henry - 5.9.14

• Options
    am I the only one who thinks kick counting is rediculous . this is a " newer" thing that they never used to do before and with all the worry expected mothers have why stress us more with this!? it's rare that something bad will happen this far in I just don't see the point
  • Options
    My OB doesn't make me do them. Only suggests it if you think you notice a decrease in movement.
    AVT - 12.2.11

LCT - 5.15.14 ~ 9lbs, 22.5 inches

• Options
    I was also never told to last time and don't expect to be this time.

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Just asked my midwife yesterday at my appt (I'm 26 w) and she said I don't have to. They said baby will develop a pattern by 32 weeks and ill be paying attention to that. Also was told that at 26 weeks I could go a long time without feeling him and that's perfectly normal so kick counts don't make sense just yet.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I'm at 22 weeks and his kicks are already pretty regular. He has certain times of day he is quite and then he starts drumming away in there. I've heard kick counts start at 28 weeks or so.
  • Options
    Miles2Go said:
    My midwives don't do them. They just advise you to be aware. I went in last time to get checked out because I hadn't felt dd at all one day, so I called around 3 pm after trying all the "get baby moving" tricks. She was obviously fine, but I like that system much better than actual counts.
    Yep, same here. I like this way better, as I think kick counting around the clock would just serve to increase my anxiety. 

Baby boy arriving late Spring '14

• Options
    Last time I was at my dr's appt, she said they don't really do them until 32 weeks. Id be ok if we never did that. It's just another thing for me to be hyper focused on and stressed about.

This. Plus, I have an AP so the movements are so sporadic anyways I feel like it wouldn't really work for me...
  • Options
    The point of "kick counts" is for mom to be aware of baby's movement patterns, because if there is a decrease in movement it can be a sign of distress.

You DO NOT count your baby's kicks ALL DAY LONG. Normally, you pick a time of day when you know baby is usually active; when you first wake up, while watching tv in the evening, or whenever works for you. During that time you should feel 10 kicks/movements in an hour. If it normally takes 5 mins to fell 10 kicks but then one day it takes the whole hour, that's decreased movement.

Some people like the reassurance kick counts can give, some people don't feel the need. It's a personal choice. But, it is very important to be aware of decreased movement.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 

BFP #1 Jan. 2011 - mmc Mar. 2011 
    BFP #2 Aug. 2011 - My sleeping angel Stella, born April 21, 2012 
    BFP #3 Nov. 2012 - mmc Dec. 2012
    BFP #4 April 2013 - mc May 2013
    BFP #5 Sept. 2013 - EDD 5.24.14
  • Options

am I the only one who thinks kick counting is rediculous . this is a " newer" thing that they never used to do before and with all the worry expected mothers have why stress us more with this!? it's rare that something bad will happen this far in I just don't see the point

Yes, it is rare that something bad will happen late in pregnancy, but sometimes it does. The point is to be aware of baby's movement because feeling less, is usually the first sign of distresss.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 

BFP #1 Jan. 2011 - mmc Mar. 2011 
    BFP #2 Aug. 2011 - My sleeping angel Stella, born April 21, 2012 
    BFP #3 Nov. 2012 - mmc Dec. 2012
    BFP #4 April 2013 - mc May 2013
    BFP #5 Sept. 2013 - EDD 5.24.14
  • Options
    My OB never told me to count kicks when I was pregnant with DD, never did.
  • Options
    I never did them last time (my doc never even mentioned it).  Like the other ladies say, I was just aware of what was normal.  If I hadn't felt him kick in a while, I would drink some cold water and lay down until I felt normal movement.
  • Options
    Add me to the don't do them list. My OB never mentioned them last time so I don't expect to be told to do them this time either. I thought that I had read somewhere last time that drs were getting away from kick counts. I could be making that up though. Either way, my dr just asks how I feel and if the baby has been moving much. I noticed DS's movement had slowed towards the end so he had me do a NST but everything came back fine

Anniversary 
    Congrats to my GP Sister from another mister Bruinsbabe!!

• Options
    My doctor told me to start them at my last appointment. I have tried, I swear, but by 15 minutes in I usually forget I'm supposed to be keeping track.
    Pregnancy Ticker 
    DS - 2 years old
  • Options
    I'll have to ask about this, I didn't do it with my first 2, but probably should since these two are at higher risk?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker TickerPregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    My OB hasn't mentioned it yet, but I see her at 27 weeks, so maybe then? I'm really hoping she doesn't ask me to count kicks, because I feel like it would freak me out if it wasn't average or something.

Colin is a very on-schedule mover already though, which is SO reassuring. So I will obviously be monitoring that for changes/causes for concern. He always kicks when i get up in the morning, while I'm lying in bed, then mid-morning (he's kicking like crazy right now), then between 2:30 and 3:30 is his most active time, with strongest kicks, then usually before bed he's a bit active too.

It's nice he is on a bit of a schedule so I can tell if there is difference. But that might be a bad thing later on when he slows down as he grows more.
    When Fluff Mail Arrives:
  • Options
    My schedule is too screwy with two jobs to pick a "consistent time that the baby is active" to do kick counts.  Plus the little bugger is "stage shy" and if he knows you're trying to get him to do something, he stops everything or moves away -- can't get him on the doppler at the ob's unless he's sleeping, won't kick if he feels anyone's hand on my stomach, etc, etc.  He even stopped moving when I tried to record my stomach moving from his kicks.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    jenb_99 said:
    I honestly think constant conscious counting contributes to paranoia. General awareness is just as effective but less obsessive.
    This. I already have enough anxiety as it is...no point in adding more stress by being hyper-aware of every little movement.

Me: 23 Hubby: 26
    Married: April 2011
    Son: May 2014
    Baby #2 Due: April 4th, 2016
  • Options
    jennish11 said:
    My OB told me to start at 30 weeks.  Then she told me that I'm looking for 10 movements in an hour - it can be at any time of day.

I've never heard 10 per hour - that seems like a lot since I know my little guy takes naps so there are some times during the day where he'll hardly move a tall.
    I understood this as when you feel them moving you want them to move 10 times in that hour. But if you don't feel them for a particular hour it isn't a big deal, since they could be sleeping. For example my baby moves a lot around 2-3 o'clock everyday, so this is when I would count. But maybe i am understanding this counting concept wrong.
    When Fluff Mail Arrives:
  • Options
    My OB told me to start at 26 weeks and then handed me a kick count sheet that started at week 28. Didn't realize that until I got home, so yeah, I guess I'm starting at week 28.
  • Options
    The midwives told me to start counting at about 28 weeks.  I hope they don't check my work on that.  The times I consistently feel the baby moving are when I'm putting DS down for a nap and when I'm trying to get to sleep.  Also, when I was trying to do this the first time around I was never sure how to count the crazy flailing.  If it feels like he's doing a drum solo or kickboxing, does that count as one big movement, or do I try to count each time I feel jabbed with a limb?
  • Options
    My OB didn't mention anything about this.  he just asked if I felt the baby moving around a lot.  I told him yes and that was the end of it.  If I had to do kick counts I think I'd drive myself nuts.  I already can tell when he's most active - when I'm in bed in the morning or night and when I'm relaxing for more than a few minutes or have had something particularly sugary.  I already make myself crazy when he doesn't move at those times!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    My doctor hasn't said anything to me about it yet. I'm 24 weeks. I have an anterior placenta so just started feeling movements almost everyday. As long as I feel her once I feel fine. Also, some babies are more active than others. On my babies ultrasounds, she always pretty laid back. And then some babies are little ninjas.
  • Options
    I think like PPs have said, it's less about counting kicks exactly, and more about just learning your baby's habits and recognizing when he or she is moving noticeably less than usual. I know that you aren't really supposed to do this before the third tri, because the baby still has room to hide in there until that point.

Mommy to my sweet boy, JG, born May 15, 2014

Baby #2 due 4/26/16!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"