Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Cleaning bottles

Is it just me or do the inside of bottles never seem to get clean? Or maybe I should say rinsed thouroughly. We wash in the dishwasher and they always seem to have detergent stuck to the sides even after rinsing a bunch of times. Is there a trick to this? I have Medela bottles if that matters.
Lilypie Premature Baby tickers.
image image image. image

Re: Cleaning bottles

• Options
    That's what I suspected...boo
    image image image. image
  • Options
    We use drop ins, so the we throw out the liners...but we hand wash all out bottles and parts. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yeah, we hand wash ours. We sterilized them for their first use in the dishwasher, but now we hand wash.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
    My BFP Chart
    BFP 12/19/08 m/c 12/26/08 4 weeks 5 days BFP 10/12/12 m/c 11/19/12 9 weeks...love you forever my angel babies!
  • Options
    Yes, hand wash.
    If you haven't, get one of those baby bottle scrubbers and scrub those suckers good! That oily residue is a bitch to clean.

• Options
    With DD we got the bottle scrubbers & used dapple dish washing liquid. I still use it because I love it.

If you use the dishwasher I would dial back on detergent & use a hot water setting. Do you have soft water? I would do an extra rinse cycle too with hot water. You can also run white vinegar through an empty dishwasher occasionally. Dishwasher magic can help with residues. The current detergents on the market are phosphate free per the EPA. That means some residue can be left behind because of the chemical make up. The good news is that less is more due to higher concentrations. So a dime size in the compartment should do.

I found that hand washing was quicker & I just boiled the bottles (takes 10 minutes) & parts on the stove if I needed to sanitize.

I used to work for Whirlpool so I got the down & dirty on dishwashers. I know more than I ever wanted to. ;)

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    I agree with the rest of the girls... Hand washing is the best way to go... I always
  • Options
    I'm a weirdo and love the smell of dish soap, so I actually like hand washing all the bottles and parts every night. DH thinks I'm coconuts.
     BFP #1: 3.2.13 | EDD: 10.21.13 | Born: 10.25.13
     BFP #2: 9.9.14 | EDD 5.13.15 | MC: 9.24.14
    BFP #3: 1.4.15 | EDD 8.23.15
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Hand wash all the way.
  • Options
    Hand wash. We sterilized before we used them for the first time, but not after. I just use hot water and dish soap.
  • Options
    Try a different detergent. I like the cascade pods. Also try a rinse aid.
    image    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I have been washing by hand and boiling after every use. Do I not need to be sterilizing the bottles?? My son is 5 weeks old.
  • Options
    You really only need to sterilize before the first use
    image image image. image
  • Options
    Hand wash daily and we usually try to run through the dishwasher on the steam cycle at least once a week.

imageimage
  • Options
    I noticed a film in my bottles after using the dishwasher so I hand wash now and steam clean once a day. Not a super fun job but at least I know they're clean!
  • Options
    Hand wash with brush & normal dish soap & Then throw in microwave for
    2 1/2 minutes in a Medela steam bag. They use is the NICU & r the greatest!
  • Options
    I hand wash mine and then put them in a microwave sterilizer bag. Those bags are awesome and they are super clean after only a few minutes
  • Options
    Omg so glad I read this, I've been washing and sterilizing after every use. So glad I can just continue washing and drop the sterilizing step!!! Oh and OP get a bottle brush- you can find them at Walmart, I looked at target and grocery stores and never found one.
  • Options
    hlb622 said:

I'm a weirdo and love the smell of dish soap, so I actually like hand washing all the bottles and parts every night. DH thinks I'm coconuts.

Not weird to me. I LOVE doing the dishes around 9pm. The suds and hot water are relaxing to me and help me unwind at the end of the day. I let DH hang with the little guy if he is awake and drink a glass of wine sometimes too. Not joking, I sometimes light a candle and keep the lights dim. Ok maybe I am weird but whatevs I'm getting some cleaning done while preserving sanity! Lol
    imageimageimageimage

• Options
    Hand wash and boil a few times a week.
  • Options
    medela has bottle soap that helps dissolve stubborn milk residue, they claim even three day old dried crud, you just add 3 pumps to a gallon of warm water; let it sit for 5 min. then rinse. no scrubbing required. it works for me. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"