Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Walking issues 16 month old

Hello,

My 16-month son had barely started walking two weeks back and then he got ear infection along with viral bronchitis. He just finished a 7 day course of antibiotics including a shot of Rocephin and doses of Omnicef.

Now, he has stopped walking and does not show any interest in walking at all. He has been crawling a lot and prefers that whenever we make him stand.

He seems to have the strength in his legs as he can pull himself up and also walk around while holding our fingers but has no desire or confidence to walk

Any one else face such an issue? Do you think this requires some sort of physical therapy? He is already 16 months old and already delayed in started walking. Just thinking if I should be concerned with this. Thanks in advance

Re: Walking issues 16 month old

• Options
    Definitely call the pedi.
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My DD definitely fell down a lot more when she had an ear infection so I know it affected her balance. Maybe he lost some of his confidence and prefers to go back to what he is used to and is good at. Or like PP said maybe there is still fluid and his balance is still off.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerAnniversary

• Options
    Meery82Meery82 member
    edited January 2014
    I could've written this post. DS did the same thing. We got tubes put in his ears back in December. He had fluid that had been in there since September. The day after surgery, he was back to walking. He now runs.
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    This is great feedback, everyone. Thanks for sharing. My kid just stood up on his own and took a few steps - I think he is still wobbly and needs confidence and the strength is coming back hopefully so he can start walking properly and for good. Thanks for the support
  • Options
    Just to ease your fears, I'm a pediatric physical therapist and 16 months is not delayed for walking. Wouldn't even blink my eyes at that one. He may just still be feeling crappy.
    <div align=
  • Options
    My son is almost 14 months and is not walking yet.  He also just started pulling himself up within the last 2 weeks.  He is in EI and they are not alarmed at all by that.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"