Adoption

changing an infant's name

So, we are planning on changing baby boy's name. He is almost 7mo, so I'm not sure how to go about that, or when to start. The pronunciation of his current name is fine, but the spelling is awful, and we've had a different boy name picked for ages. Any advice??

Re: changing an infant's name

• @spooko - yeah, I was kind of leaning toward that.  I think it'd be harder to use both names before switching completely anyway.

@fredalina - I love that anecdote about Char, lol.  It always makes me smile.

I'm sure I'm worried for nothing.  I'm more concerned about bonding with him properly!
  • I'd find out if there is a nick name that he's used to hearing.  Then you could keep using the nick name & introduce the new name too.
    TTC #1 9/11-12/12, 9/12 Dx: Hypothyroid + DOR (AMH .76), IUI #1 & #2 BFN's
    1/13 Decided to pursue DIA, 4/13 Home study Approved 9/13 Matched!
    10/13 DS home with us! 2/14 TPR completed  5/14 ADOPTION IS FINAL!
    3/14 Surprise BFP 11/14 DD is here!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • It really depends on the situation. For my I started calling my son his new name immediately. But his birth parents never had any contact with him. If they still have contact then some states regulate that you call the child by their birth name until TPR is done. Check with your case worker about this. Then when adoption is in process you will be asked if you are changing name and they will issue new birth certificate with you as parents and his new name as well as new SS card.
  • It really depends on the situation. For my I started calling my son his new name immediately. But his birth parents never had any contact with him. If they still have contact then some states regulate that you call the child by their birth name until TPR is done. Check with your case worker about this. Then when adoption is in process you will be asked if you are changing name and they will issue new birth certificate with you as parents and his new name as well as new SS card.

it's kind of a different situation in that he was placed voluntarily by his BM with no CPS involvement, it's an infant adoption and TPR happened before we picked him up. We decided just to call him by his new name, so we shall see!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"