Special Needs

Frustrated: Krill Oil while Pregnant (one DD has ASD)

coffee beancoffee bean member
edited January 2014 in Special Needs
I'm currently 7 w pregnant with baby #3.  I have been researching whether I should take krill oil while pregnant to possibly reduce chances of autism.  Within 5 minutes, I find one website on autism.com that recommends it while pregnant and another (webmd) that says insufficient research has been done and avoid use. 

I asked my OB last week and he said he didn't have an opinion on it.

Sigh.

Mom to Abigail & Liliana -- Identical Twin Girls -- April 2008
Baby #3 due September 12, 2014!

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Frustrated: Krill Oil while Pregnant (one DD has ASD)

• I take a non-fish-based omega-3 supplement because it comes packaged with my prenatal vitamins. My son's ASD is linked to a genetic mutation, so I figure the die is already cast regarding kiddo two. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    11/10/10 The Kid
  • @typeset, how did you find out the source of your son's ASD?  I always think it's interesting that I have ID twin girls (same DNA), one with autism, one without.  So, that automatically rules out a genetic mutation, I guess....
    Mom to Abigail & Liliana -- Identical Twin Girls -- April 2008
    Baby #3 due September 12, 2014!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • The only thing I have heard that helps reduce the incidence of ASD in siblings is increased folic acid. My OB told me to take 4mg of folic acid for 3 months before we start trying and through the first tri. I started taking it a few weeks ago so we can start trying for number 3 in May.

DS1: 4/15/2011
    Dx: ASD, SPD and receptive and expressive speech delay at 21 months
    BFP #2: CP 5/2012
    DS2: 4/24/2013
    BFP #4: Miscarriage at 5 weeks 7/2014
    BFP #5: 8/8/2014 Due 4/20/2015 
    Its a healthy girl!!!!! 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • @typeset, how did you find out the source of your son's ASD?  I always think it's interesting that I have ID twin girls (same DNA), one with autism, one without.  So, that automatically rules out a genetic mutation, I guess....
    They did a microarray on him after he was Dx'd. 

It'll be interesting to see how the research on epigenetics unfolds. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    11/10/10 The Kid
  • If you have the MTHFR mutation (which is estimated in half the population and has been linked to autism), folic acid can actually cause problems.  You would want to take folate instead and avoid folic acid like the plague.  

Happy and Healthy nine months!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"