Special Needs
Options

Anyone use essential oils for their kids? Sensory, ADHD, and sleep related.

I was wondering if anyone on here has used essential oils for their kids. I have heard a lot about them recently and have spoken to some parents who have kids with ADHD and they rub a drop on their neck and it helps them concentrate or sit for activities during school. I have also heard people using them in diffusers to help with kid sleep at night instead of medications. These are essential oils that can be used topically or in a diffuser. Anyone done this and if so what was your experience?

Re: Anyone use essential oils for their kids? Sensory, ADHD, and sleep related.

• Options

Fred-what are you giving magnesium for and what have you seen improve in your child, what's the dosage. I am looking into anything that will help my guy. TIA.

• Options
    We also use magnesium (just in the way of epsom salt vs ingesting them) and it has helped. it hasn't been a cure all so if you try the oil and it helps definitely share. :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Hmm, I'll have to give magnesium a try. DD is really sensitive to smells, so I think essential oils would be a bust with DD's hypersensitive nose.
  • Options
    My kids have different issues, but we use them. We started detox baths twice a week, Epsom salts coconut oil and essential oils. We use a focus blend on their feet and a badger sleep balm. We are slowly incorporating them in our lives. I'm not convinced its a cure all or anything but I figure it can't hurt so why not try.
    To my boys:  I will love you for you Not for what you have done or what you will become I will love you for you I will give you the love The love that you never knew
  • Options
    I haven't, but I heard Melatonin supplement s help children with ADHD rest, which in turn improves rest and focus.
    photo notebook.jpg 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    bubba2b said:
    @ Toastie...what is your blend? How often do you apply? Following.
    I went to the local health store and they had Windmere oils, a lot of people swear by doterra.  It's just a mental clarity blend...basil, lemon, rosemary, peppermint, clove, cardamom, cedarwood.  I use olive oil or coconut oil as a carrier oil as I always have them and they're cheap.  Badger makes Focus balm which is citrus and ginger.  We have their calm and clarifying massage oil which is lavender and bergamot.  And their sleep balm is lavender and bergamot also.  They have a night night blend too that i haven't tried.  Since I"m just starting with oils these were more affordable than starting with doterra.  And I swear by Bach's Rescue Remedy.  DH was in a funk the other day and I slipped a dropperful in his OJ and like 20 minutes later, he was like I really feel better.   I've taken it and it's really helped me turn my mind off and fall asleep.  You can order it from amazon and it's only $11.  

I'm hoping once our debt is paid off that we can start investing in some diffusers and more oils, but this is where I started.

I use the lavender bergamot massage oil in our detox baths.  My boys have hypertonia and intellectual disability so I'm more focused on maximizing their muscle relaxation and i figure might as well try to help them focus more.
    To my boys:  I will love you for you Not for what you have done or what you will become I will love you for you I will give you the love The love that you never knew
  • Options
    Well i ended up getting a soy candle infused with lavender essential oil and it definitely helped with sleep. my son even went to bed an hour and a half earlier! she still woke up at that 1 oclock witching hour but instead of getting out of bed and playing (or screaming bloody murder if the nightlight was off) she laid there. i burned the candle for 20 more minutes and she fell back asleep shortly after. it even made me sleepy! I'm going to try that badger night night balm tonight if i can find it at walgreens since they have it advertised on their site. will let you know how it goes.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I got the young living oils starter kit and diffuse peace and calming in my sons room.  I massage peppermint oil on his belly with a carrier oil and then do coconut oil and lavendar on the rest of his body.

If he is constipated, the peppermint oil gets things moving- but other than that, I haven't seen much in terms of behavior.  It's just a fun thing to add to our routine and he asks for his massage with oils.  
  • Options
    Can you use the drug store epsom salts for the bath?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Lovenyc said:
    Can you use the drug store epsom salts for the bath?

That's all I'm using for now because we have so much of it
  • Options
    We buy oils online from Heritage Essential Oils.  They have a wonderful private Facebook page that has been a huge help to us.  Their Peaceful blend helps greatly with sleep when I diffuse it.  I haven't found anything great for the daytime but I'm working on that as funds allow.  I use the oils for all kinds of other things though - preventing illness, respiratory issues, allergies, pain control, etc.  What I like best about Heritage is that they sell sample bottles.  I always start with a sample in case we don't like it or it doesn't help with the issue we need help with. 
    Samuel  2.26.06 41w ASD/ADHD
    Eli  6.18.09 35.5w
    Silas  1.25.13 35.4w 10 days NICU, allergies/asthma, gluten intolerant

• Options
    Thanks for all the input ladies, I am going to try to epsom baths and if I do the oils and see anything I will share with you all.
  • Options
    I use oils for immune system, asthma, and his sensory. Serenity is great for anxiety, breathe works for colds asthma, and on guard is for helping ward off illness. We are very faithful with using do Terra oils even my DH and I. I know we are not to sell things but I am also a consultant if your interested.
    Baby #1 MC November 2007
    Baby #2 MC June 2008
    Baby #3 Born April 2009
    Baby #4 due date February 2015

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    I don't have any diagnoses for DS on any of his issues but he has always had awful sleep habits. Essential oils (massage and sprtiz'ed in bedroom) are somewhat helpful but nothing amazing and the results aren't consistent.

But I have been using this homeopathic remedy for a few months and though it doesn't really help him fall sleep, he sleeps much better throughout the night. Now that we have the dose ad timing right, he sleeps through the night most nights. rarely ever happened before.

https://www.hylands.com/products/hylands-4-kids-calm-’n-restful

I am going to look into magnesium now.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"