Nurseries and Baby Gear
Options

Can you use a Pack n Play instead of a crib?

A co-worker has been using a Pack N Play for his second child instead of a crib.  He knows we are trying to minimize the amount of stuff we buy because we don't have a lot of space. He told me you don't really need to buy a full size crib and can just use the pack n play.  But at some point the child must outgrow the pack n play and then you would still need something for them to sleep in, right?
Also, Baby Bargains does not recommend the newborn napper feature because it's plus and has a pillow.  So if you don't use the newborn napper, where would baby sleep in the PNP at first?
Thanks!

IF, 5 losses, 1 son, 1 on the way.
fall in love with someone Pictures Images and Photos  photo turtlejpg

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Can you use a Pack n Play instead of a crib?

• Options
    A lot of PnPs have a bassinet feature which us just a raised bottom and holds babies up to 15 lbs. We plan to use this feature in our bedroom for the first few months then transition baby to the crib in his/ her own room (our bedroom is not very close to the nursery).
    Married November 2009
    Clara, August 2014 
    Baby Boy due October 2017
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yeah, you definitely don't *have* to get a crib.  As PPs have said, the bassinet feature (just a raised bottom) works really well until they reach the weight limit or start rolling/pulling up.  Then you just lower it down & use the bottom part.

Actually we used the PNP occasionally for DS1 up until he was like 2.5 or 3 years old.  So they don't "outgrow" them very quickly at all.  By that point you could go straight to a twin bed with a side rail or a toddler bed.  

That being said, I do think DS2 sleeps more soundly in his crib than the PNP.  It could be because he's used to his crib, but I also think the mattress is just more comfortable than the PNP.  So if you plan to use it past a year, you might look into one of those padded things for the mattress.  (Not before a year as it can be a SIDS risk.)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image imageimageimage

• Options
    I would choose a mini crib rather than a pnp for long term use in a tight space. I am not a huge fan of how hard a pnp mattress is, not to mention the difficulty in cleaning if a child gets sick.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    PNP is fine instead of a crib. I would buy an extra PNP mattress though just to make it more comfy. We have the Dream on Me 3" Mattress on Amazon.

• Options
    Thanks ladies.  Another question- I've read that breathable bumpers in cribs are a no no until a certain age, but the PNP basically has mesh walls which seems like the same thing to me.  Anyone know why one would be ok and the other not?

IF, 5 losses, 1 son, 1 on the way.
    fall in love with someone Pictures Images and Photos  photo turtlejpg

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    OP, you are totally fine with a PNP as the crib. As pp mentioned, they actually sell PNP matress pads that make the crib a little more comfy. These would not be used with the full bassinet feature though. You probably are getting a PNP anyway, right? So try the PNP and if you totally hate it (I don't think you will), then you can get a crib.

Also, I would not use the newborn napper at all. Looks way too sketchy to me. Use the full basinett feature.
    IVF #1- BFP- DD 4/8/2011
    FET #1- 3BB and 3B-B
    Beta #1 (4w0d)- 504
    Beta #2 (4w4d)- 4,577
    Beta #3 (6w0d)- 78,399 HB 115 bpm
    U/S #2 7w0d- HB 155 bpm

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"