Dads & Dads-to-be

Things to do with your kids.....someday

My dad was a firefighter and he was gone a lot of the time.  When he was home, he was very quiet.  We never really did much as a family - we never went fishing, worked together in a shop..... my dad wasnt really into anything.   We did go camping once or twice but that was about it.

This is something that I would love to change when I am a father.  I would love actually go and do things with my kids.....

Most of us have tiny kids (mine is only 3 months) but I cannot wait to get mine on a motorcycle.   He is going to have to learn the strider, then a bicycle first of course and if he is a good kid and works hard at life, I would love to get him a small dirt bike..... he will have to earn the crap out of it.  Motorcycle are desert of the highest order.
     Motorcycles are such a huge part of my wife and I's life that he is going to see them every day and I long for the day when we can go for our first ride as Father and Son.... someday perhaps.

Re: Things to do with your kids.....someday

• ..........oh and I probably need a gif of some kind..... hmmmm lemme see.  This should do

• ladyjenna13ladyjenna13 member
    edited January 2014

For me it is more sports related.  I am really looking forward to coaching my son's baseball and basketball teams.  Just the little league age, not much older than that.

Fishing is also a big thing.  When I was a kid, I would go fishing with my father and grandfather, and it remains one of my greatest memories.  Fishing and hunting is huge here in this state, and there are 100's of lakes within an hour of our house, not to mention Lake Michigan.  While it is fun to go out on the big lake and fish for Chinook and Rainbows, the real action is on the smaller lakes, where Northern, Muskie and Walleye live.  Just me and the boy, sitting on a bass boat, talking about life and enjoying the summertime.  I envision that he will try his first beer on one of these outings.

And the last itme on that bucket list is taking my son out to Estes Park a few times to camp and hike all over Rocky Mountain National Park.  It is one of the most beautiful places in the United States.image

• Loading the player...
  • For me it is more sports related.  I am really looking forward to coaching my son's baseball and basketball teams.  Just the little league age, not much older than that.

Fishing is also a big thing.  When I was a kid, I would go fishing with my father and grandfather, and it remains one of my greatest memories.

And the last itme on that bucket list is taking my son out to Estes Park a few times to camp and hike all over Rocky Mountain National Park.  It is one of the most beautiful places in the United States.

thats awesome - I am quite envious.....
        sports related for sure.  Im very curious to see what he is into.  I was kind of pushed into sports but ultimately loved it, Im going to try not try to push the kid into things.
       Out here, desert racing is massively family oriented.  They have kids races every weekend, and you always see "chase dads" following their little(ish) ones out on their first desert loop....
  • A friend of mine races stock cars here in Wisconsin.  The same thing happens there during the junior races.

• A friend of mine races stock cars here in Wisconsin.  The same thing happens there during the junior races.
    thats awesome...
  • I have gaming friends and I love to game so our son will grow up being a gamer.  I am not going to push him into sports that hard.  I have no problems letting him wrestle since he will be in the upper weight classes.  I will pull him from football if in tackle football they put him on the line.  My dad's knees were seriously messed up from that and I will not let that happen to him.  My sister got shin splints from running track and cross country so I will be very cautious about what sports he joins.

It would be awesome if loves lifting weights so we can go to the gym together.  I will be roughly 54 by the time he can officially start lifting.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I can't wait to game with my boy too.  He just started watching me game last month (PS3), and he is starting to ge that the controller is making the game work on the television.  I am addicited to GTA V right now, and he loves watching me thug it out.  He laughs really loud whenever I blow up an armored truck and get away from the cops.  Am I a great dad or what??

Wife just side eyes us when she walks down to the mancave and sees that.  If my own mother ever saw me doing that with the boy she would kill me!

• Wulfgar said:
    I have gaming friends and I love to game so our son will grow up being a gamer.  I am not going to push him into sports that hard.  I have no problems letting him wrestle since he will be in the upper weight classes.  I will pull him from football if in tackle football they put him on the line.  My dad's knees were seriously messed up from that and I will not let that happen to him.  My sister got shin splints from running track and cross country so I will be very cautious about what sports he joins.

It would be awesome if loves lifting weights so we can go to the gym together.  I will be roughly 54 by the time he can officially start lifting.

There are only two sports that I will actively encourage my son to play.  Baseball and golf.  I will introduce him to all sports, and he can play those that he enjoys.  Baseball and golf are a big part of our family life, with both me and my wife getting through college on baseball/softball rides, and golf being my mistress.  We are also big Brewers fans, so baseball is on every night in our house during the summer.  He is showing strongs signs of being a lefty, just like me, and he already throws with some power and accuracy.  He is destined for tee ball in the near future.

Football is tricky.  I played football for 4 years in HS.  I certainly understand the risks involved, as I am sure that I have had a few concussions in my time go unnoticed.  I also underwent reconstructive knee surgery after blowing my ACL and MCL playing football at the age of 17.  At the same time, football taught me so many lessons about life, working hard, and being part of a team, that it would be hard for me to say no to my boy if he wanted to play.  It would be much easier if my wife would want to put her foot down about football, but she also sees the value to playing HS football.

One thing about golf, it is a great way to get a full college ride with minimal wear and tear on the body.  Another sport that teaches great life lessons too.

• I forgot all about golf, hopefully he likes that since I need a spotter when I go hit my golf balls around.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• One of the happiest days of my life will be the first time my son and I go out for a day on the links.  There is nothing better to me than a sunny, summer day in the low 80's on a golf course.  Very few things I appreciate more than a 7:00am tee time in July.

• Golf is one of the few things that my dad and I get to share.  We used to be able to surf together which was really cool because he has been at it since the 60's. 
        But as his body starts to age, he can do less and less so whenever we can, we hit up the golf course and it's always a good time.....
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"