Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Palm olein in formulas and calcium absorbtion/bone density

Wondering if anyone has opinions or counterpoints to the studies published about "significantly lower bone density" in infants fed a formula containing palm olein.

Here are two abstracts to two separate studies:

image    BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Palm olein in formulas and calcium absorbtion/bone density

• LEMSALEMSA member
    edited January 2014
    The second study had a very small
    sample, only 22 infants.

I can't tell the sample population in the first study

Also, the first study followed infants until 6 mo. The second study didn't say how long they followed infants for.

I don't think there is enough Information to say either way
  • Also, study one is milk based. Study two is non milk based. So they are not comparing the same formulas.
  • Loading the player...
  • trudibelltrudibell member
    edited January 2014
    First, don't discount the long-term effects of prenatal diet.

Second, these are two singular studies with small sample populations. It would be interesting to see further studies, but these studies alone don't make me question what I'm feeding my son (Enfamil Gentlease).  

Third, as my son approaches the one year mark, bone density will become more important, but his diet will become more varied and as his mother I will ensure that he eats a balanced diet full of calcium which promotes bone growth.  

I understand that formula is a bugaboo for some, but for others it's really the only option.  What matters is long term nutrition and diet, and formula is really only part of your child's diet for the first year.
  • I didn't mean to make it sound like all formula is bad. My son gets formula. I am questioning the brand I am feeding my son though. I do know there is not some crazy epidemic of bone density issues in infants, so its doubtful that palm olein oil makes that big an issue to calcium absorption.

I read somewhere (can't find the article now) that these two studies were interesting enough for the AAP to take notice. 
    image    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I wonder, too, about the role vitamin d supplementation might play.
    Boy 10.6.13
    Labored at freestanding birth center using hypnobirthing techniques
    Delivered via csection
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"