VBAC
Options

Vbac with a big baby?

This is my first post here.

I just recently found out I'm pregnant with #2 and my doctor said I'm a good candidate for a vbac. However, my first was 9lb9oz and she said she'll do an ultrasound when the time gets closer to get the baby's weigh, but said it won't happen if I have another 9lb+ baby. I'm part of a Facebook group and I've seen a couple moms vbac with 9lb baby's.
Any mommas here have a successful vbac with a large baby?

Re: Vbac with a big baby?

• Options
    I did, but my first was 8lb 4oz, so we weren't expecting a large one. I refused all sizing/late ultrasounds (it's what started me down the path to a CS with DS1), so it was a surprise he was so big.

It sounds like your OB is worried already. Is it possible to look around and see if others would be more supportive?
    DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Options
    I had a VBAC in August. My first babe was 10lbs1/2oz and was a section due to me not progressing.

I hated the experience and was set on a VBAC this time around. I had a midwife and no size ultrasounds were done - which was great. She did tell me that she didn't feel like a big baby. Lol. Fast forward to my labour. At home, natural and 14 hours long. This LO was 10lbs2oz. You can do it. Don't let an OB tell you that you can't bc of a possible big baby :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank you ladies! I have been looking at a few other place. Looking mostly for a midwife now, I think they will be the most supportive and sucsessful . I will for sure refuse the late ultrasound as well!

@CourtJack wow, 10lbs this is definitely encouraging! With my first the told me 2 days before I was induced that he probably was low 7lbs.
  • Options
    FWIW, my VBAC baby was also over 10 lbs. @MAPrincess (who posts on this board) had a big baby w her CS, and had a smaller second baby as a VBAC. Good luck with your search!
    DS1 - Feb 2008

• Options
  • Options
    My first was 10lbs1oz, and my second and third (both VBACs) were 9lbs3oz and 8lbs12oz. They both came out easily, and my doctors never gave any indication that their size might hinder a VBAC attempt.
  • Options
    I would do some research both ways before deciding. Most stats say that a vbac carries a 1% risk (that would be 1 out of every 100 vbacs) of uterine rupture. These usually do not end well for mother or baby as both can bleed out within 5-15 mins of that occurring.
  • Options
    I just had a successful VBAC of a 9lb. 8oz baby last week, after a C section for failure to progress.  You can do it, and do not let yourself  scared or intimidated by strangers or some medical staff.  Read the actual studies on VBACs, which quote the incidence of rupture for natural births as low as .02%.  Good luck!
  • Options
    fsumomfsumom member
    edited March 2014
    I'm worried about this too.  My DD was 8lbs15oz and I'm being told that if this one, a boy, is measuring big, they'll want to schedule a repeat c-section.  I'm considering switching practices if that's the case as the research I've done states a big baby isn't necessarily cause for a repeat c-section.  I need to find out what their definition of 'big' is as one person on my local iCan facebook group stated she was told by someone that the practice I go to considers anything over 8lbs to be big, and I find that absurd.  The practice I go to has midwives.
    ~Jessica~ 

• Options
    fsumom said:
    I'm worried about this too.  My DD was 8lbs15oz and I'm being told that if this one, a boy, is measuring big, they'll want to schedule a repeat c-section.  I'm considering switching practices if that's the case as the research I've done states a big baby isn't necessarily cause for a repeat c-section.  I need to find out what their definition of 'big' is as one person on my local iCan facebook group stated she was told by someone that the practice I go to considers anything over 8lbs to be big, and I find that absurd.  The practice I go to has midwives.
    I would definitely look into this further, since everything I've seen indicates that the baby's estimated size is not a legitimate reason to do a c-section. Among other reasons, ultrasound measurements can be really off, so their ability to accurately diagnose a "big baby" is probably pretty low. Good luck!
  • Options
    Macrosomia has two definitions, it can be over 8lbs 13 oz, or over 10lbs.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Large_for_gestational_age
    @fsumom, go w your gut, find someone else. Good luck!
    DS1 - Feb 2008

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"