Special Needs

WDYT : prepping for school

Someone in my family is a special ed teacher in another district.

I asked for her advice. Knowing that DS has ADHD, i was asking her in her opinion on if we should advise them of his adhd before school started or not.

She told me to not to tell the school, so that he could be given a clean slate in kindie. She said so many kids go into kindie with all different personalities, to tell them ahead if time is not even giving him a chance in class.

She said only if they call a special one-on-one meeting requesting to assess him, should you bring up all of the testing we have done for him.

Wdyt?
photo notebook.jpg 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers 
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: WDYT : prepping for school

• Sounds like an awful idea as well as a deceptive thing to do. I would rather be proactive than reactive when it came to devising a plan to help my child succeed at school.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • See, that's how I felt in my gut. I felt doing
    that doing that would not only be unfair to DS, but to everyone else involved too. I asked her, "Wouldn't that put him in a harder position than what I know he is capable of handling, therefore causing more anxiety/stress than necessary?(sic)".

I see why she is suggesting that, however I feel its like placing someone in a surgeon position, asking them to preform surgery, when they never went to medical school. Am I wrong?
    photo notebook.jpg 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • KC_13 said:
    Sounds like an awful idea as well as a deceptive thing to do. I would rather be proactive than reactive when it came to devising a plan to help my child succeed at school.
    I agree.
    Mom to Abigail & Liliana -- Identical Twin Girls -- April 2008
    Baby #3 due September 12, 2014!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • d.fd.f member
    Yup. I shared right off the bat. He has an IEP so I couldn't have not share but I took it a step further and wrote a note detail his strengths and weaknesses. Plus strategies that had worked in the past. It was well received and set up a collaborative atmosphere when things went south for a while.

DS 09/2008

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"