Special Needs
Options

Nonverble, CP, Discipline Help

So, Lily is slowly finding her voice.  But, she is still relying heavily on gestures to communicate.  Because of her CP, her gestures can be clumsy and spastic at times.  Unfortunately, this can lead to people getting hurt.  She has whacked people in the face on several occasions, and yesterday, she basically clawed at my arm.  Maybe discipline isn't the right word to put here, but I'd really like to help her.  I want to make it clear that sometimes her actions hurt others, and that's not okay.  But, I realize that when she gets excited, her actions aren't always under her control.  How do I teach her to be kind, without making her feel like she is bad for something that is beyond her control?
           image      image      image

Re: Nonverble, CP, Discipline Help

• Options
    Yes.  My daughter has an Ipad with an AAC app.  We've actually been utilizing a total communications approach for a while.  But, we've been working more on verbal communication since she had her trach removed in November (the primary reason she could not talk).  She is very good at mimicking what we say (if you overlook some articulation issues).  And, we often have her 'tell' us what she wants (through the use of gestures, signing and the use of yes/no questions) and then we have her say it using her words  (which we supply).  But, that doesn't help with the initial requests (and the sometimes painful aftermath).
  • Options
    I will also note, if it makes any difference, that she often accompanies these gestures with 'words.'  Sometimes you can understand these words, sometimes you can't.  But, she does try.  I think she's just going to be one of those people who use big hand gestures when they speak.  Like mother like daughter I guess.  Lol.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I tended to overexaggerate the pain as my dd is sympathetic. then i would hand over hand gentle hands while demonstrating it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"