Postpartum Depression
Options

Ppd/life

Hi everyone...so I'm going to try to not make this too long. I developed postpartum depression at about 6 weeks after I had my son. I went to the doctor and he prescribed me Zoloft which seemed to work right away. It's been 5 days now and I am still having good and bad days.

Part of my problem is that I don't think I ever did anything right before. It was just me and my husband and I never really made breakfast or dinner and we never really packed lunches. The plan for me now is to stay at home with my son and this is something I've always wanted to do but I just feel trapped. I feel like a failure because I don't know how to grocery shop or make lunches or dinners or anything like that. I feel like an idiot. We are also really tight on money right now so I feel like that just makes it worse too because I don't want to buy any food. Sorry if this post seems all over the place I am just a mess right now...has anyone else felt like this before?

Re: Ppd/life

• Options
    TurtleMommaTurtleMomma member
    edited January 2014
    I took over all the food making and buying about 2 months ago (LO is 5mo). I did it because DH can't make healthy meals to save his life. I was never trained in any way, shape or form on cooking. Really, I just fly by the seat of my pants and get creative (and I don't mean foody-creative).

In any event, I look forward to cooking, honestly. Why? Not because I like cooking, but because I like the mini "me time" that is built in to it because DH has to watch LO while I do it. If DH complains, I ask him if he wants to make dinner (always a big "no"), and go about my business. He knows he can't have it both ways. Same concept for grocery shopping: DH watches LO for an hour so I can go out by myself. I make a list of the big items I can remember (milk, eggs, etc) but then wing it after that (back to my "get creative" comment).

I know I'm kind of rambling, but I hope I've been at least minutely helpful.

EDIT: I am also on a strict budget. I actually try and make it a game to see how much I can save (compared to the total bill). What also makes it interesting is to break the food budget into 2 parts: 2/3 for the initial grocery shopping for the week and the remaining 1/3 for anything I forget or fresh vegetables/ingredients for something I want to make.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    This is me and my husband to a tee. Before kids, we had no food in the house and ordered out every single meal. I sah too and started off easy. I make my husband a peanut butter and jelly sandwich everyday. Cheap and easy. I don't really cook dinner, but will make pasta or chicken. For breakfast on weekends, we make bacon and eggs. Start slow, it's a learning process.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Disneygeek77Disneygeek77 member
    edited January 2014
    For me, it helped to watch cooking shows.  I didn't make the food at first, I just watched and learned.  

Two of my favorite shows are America's Test Kitchen and Cook's Country on PBS.  I started watching them on a whim ( I think they were making friend chicken or something)  and eventually I was surprised how much I picked up on.  I am much more confident in my cooking ability now, but it did take some time and experimenting with recipes.  I also had to come to terms with the fact that sometimes I will mess up and we will have to throw the food away.  That's ok and instead of getting upset, I need to learn from it.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"