Baby Names
Options

Can't find anything I like better...

My OBGYN gave me the best 30th bday present ever (elective gender scan)... We found out that we are having a girl!!! I have been set on naming her Elliott Claire for 18 weeks with her NN being Ellie! Now I'm second guessing myself, but I think its more because of people's reactions to Elliott as a girl's name! Also, I have not found anything I like better!!! I know I cant worry about what others think... But, Any thoughts?!

Re: Can't find anything I like better...

• Options
    One of my childhood friends named her little girl Elliott, and it is very cute on her. Here, most will tell you they don't like it, but don't let others' opinions sway you if you love it. You will probably hear it the rest of her life, and if you care, then it will really start to get to you.
    Charlotte Lynne ~ Jan. 23, 2014

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Boy names do not belong on girls.
    This. I do love Claire though!
    Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Love: March 2010  Marriage: July 2013  Debt Free: October 2014  TTC: April 2015
     BFP: April 10, 2016 EDD: December 19, 2016 Team Blue!
    Oscar born November 20, 2016 at 35w6d

• Options
    Elliott is a great name, for a boy. For a girl there are so many better options! Eloise, Elodie, Ella, Elsa etc. I would even support just Ellie over Elliott nn Ellie, and I'm generally one to be in favor of a full name as the given name.
    My furchildren, Dorothy and Johnny :)
  • Options
    Joy2611 said:

because of people's reactions to Elliott as a girl's name!

Elliot is a BOY'S name.  Say it with me.  BOY.  B.  O.  Y.  Why are you putting a masculine name on a girl?

You do know that the Scrubs character of a female Elliot was so named because her parents wanted a boy, yes?

I think Elliot is completely absurd on a girl

I honestly thought that the women on here could play nice... Say it with me, nice, N.I.C.E! However, I guess I was wrong. I understand that I asked for opinions, however opinions can be stated in a much classier fashion. To me, Elliott sounds feminine and I would never name a potential son Elliott. Ellie is a popular first name for a girl and the sound -ette (in French) often feminizes a masculine noun or name... So, is Elliott really that masculine or is it masculine just because baby name books say so?! Elliott is also climbing in ranks to be one of the next unisex names such as Avery, Peyton, etc.

And no, I've never seen scrubs! But, I have seen Quints by Surprise (when channel surfing) and they have a beautiful little girl name Eliot!

• Options
    BulgariHeartBulgariHeart member
    edited January 2014
    because of people's reactions to Elliott as a girl's name!
    Elliot is a BOY'S name.  Say it with me.  BOY.  B.  O.  Y.  Why are you putting a masculine name on a girl?

You do know that the Scrubs character of a female Elliot was so named because her parents wanted a boy, yes?

I think Elliot is completely absurd on a girl
    I honestly thought that the women on here could play nice... Say it with me, nice, N.I.C.E! However, I guess I was wrong. I understand that I asked for opinions, however opinions can be stated in a much classier fashion. To me, Elliott sounds feminine and I would never name a potential son Elliott. Ellie is a popular first name for a girl and the sound -ette (in French) often feminizes a masculine noun or name... So, is Elliott really that masculine or is it masculine just because baby name books say so?! Elliott is also climbing in ranks to be one of the next unisex names such as Avery, Peyton, etc. And no, I've never seen scrubs! But, I have seen Quints by Surprise (when channel surfing) and they have a beautiful little girl name Eliot!

There isn't one ounce of French in the name Elliott. It most definitely doesn't end in -ette. The accent falls on the first syllable NOT the last like you are mistakenly implying. The names Juliette or Odette end in -ette. Meaning that the accent falls on the LAST syllable (-ette). Edited for clarity.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Years ago I used to really love boys' names on girls. Then I got pregnant and had a boy first, so obviously picked a boy name. Now I am pregnant with a girl and am much more inclined towards feminine names. I have a friend with 1 daughter and 2 sons. Her girl name is unisex. She regrets this now. But to each their own! If you love Eliie as a nickname I think the following names are pretty: Eleanor, Penelope, Elle
  • Options
    emilyray14emilyray14 member
    edited January 2014
    p.s. check out the Social Security Administration baby name list... Elliott and Elliot are #277 and #244, for boys. Elliott doesn't show up on the girl's list and Elliot is a mere 872nd most popular name. So, Elliott (no matter how you spell it) is still a distinctively masculine name.

ETA: For clarity.
    My furchildren, Dorothy and Johnny :)
  • Options
    Eliott is just not a good name for a girl. Anyone wh tells you it is to your face is being polite, period. I know people can be blunt on this board, but quite frankly it's sort of what you should want... People are going to candy coat their real opinions to your face most of the time. Don't do Elliott. It is horrible. Like really horrible. You have gotten some really nice suggestions from pp's, and their are literally thousands of feminine names out there. You clearly realize that others dislike it, imagine how your little girl will feel!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

My thoughts are to find another name.  Elliot is not a girl's name.  For someone so excited to have a girl, I would think you would want a feminine name.

If you like Ellie-- why not

Elosie

Eliana

Ellen

Elena

Elise

Elle

Elizabeth

Listen to what she said!
  • Options

OP-What I see you saying is that you have yet to find a name that you like for your little girl. Have you considered Claire as a first name? It is a nice name.

I can see why someone would be hesitant to use Elliott for a girl. It screams masculine to me.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I'm probably the only one here who thinks this... But, I love Eliott for a girl! It was on our list before we found out we're having a boy. Just know that not everyone is going to love your name no matter what you choose.
  • Options
    It's your daughter! If you love Elliot then name her Elliot! This board is not a great place to get positive opinions on some issues.
    <3 Delaney. 4.5.12. <3 <br> Photobucket
  • Options

It's your daughter! If you love Elliot then name her Elliot! This board is not a great place to get positive opinions on some issues.

JFC! You're going on my post-it.
    All issues should have positive opinions...
    [-X There is a reason why some things are not received well.
  • Options
    I love it!
    imageimage
  • Options
    I hate Elliott on a girl. I don't get the trend if giving girl's masculine names. However, I personally choose names for my kids that I love, regardless of what others think. So you either care about the opinion of others when it come to naming or you don't. That's your call.
  • Options
    NerdyLucyNerdyLucy member
    edited January 2014
    Honestly?  I'm not a fan. 

I really dislike Elliott on a boy, so just imagine how much I hate it on a girl.  I wouldn't name my daughter Richard, so I also wouldn't name her Elliott. 

If you ask for opinions, expect opinions. Otherwise, what's the point in even asking?

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    I like it.  Especially if you call her Ellie.
    Photoset 15 of 15

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    Yes people on here can be quite blunt. There are nicer ways to say you don't care for it. Some are just downright hostile, like you are going to name THEIR baby :). I've learned that everybody has different backgrounds and opinions and no two people are going to view a name exactly the same. I have a relative named Elliot and she goes by Ellie. If YOU like the name, who cares if others do. You probably wouldn't care for their child's name either. You go with your gut!! Really anything goes these days!
  • Options
    For me, the most nonsensical part of wanting validation for the name Elliot on a girl is that you intend to call her Ellie anyway. Just give her Ellie as a given name or one of the other numerous El- female names that are out there that PPs have suggested.

Then you and your daughter don't have people saying behind your backs all the time that it's a boys name. And a name choice that started with a TV show father's disappointment he had a daughter. That's not a name history I'd want for my daughter, Claire. We do agree on that strong-sounding, beautiful feminine choice.

And I chose not to try to write nicely. Cause I don't feel good and I'm just not in a nice mood.
  • Options
    aebutcher said:
      Really anything goes these days!
    That is not a good reason.
  • Options
    Not a huge fan of Elliott for a girl but Ellie is really cute. Maybe Elizabeth, Eleanor, Eliana would be good substitutes? 

I'm not new. I just hate The Bump. 

• Options
    I guess I'm part of the minority but I really like the name Elliot for a girl! I get that it's traditionally a boys name but to me it's really feminine anyways. Not too many people like the name I picked for my girl but I'm choosing it anyways. You have to consider that not too many who are in favor of a name will speak out but if they don't like it they will definitely say something around here. If you are that defensive about it than you're mind is mostly made up anyways.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Whoa, sorry. That's a lot of anyways.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Joy2611- you totally took the "bold" the wrong way! It was implying that people have different opinions/views/tastes on names. Not that one is right and the other's is wrong. That is a fact.
  • Options
    My daughter's name is technically masculine and I still roll my eyes at Elliot for a girl. 

Hypocrite high five!

I think it will scream 2008 down the road and your daughter, who will have to live with the frustrations it could provide, might not be thrilled about that. 

• Options
    Eh, I am not passionately against it for a girl as many here are.  I imagine this conversation could have happened fifty-so years ago for Lesley or Lyn.

Having said that, I do think it is trendy and for that reason, I wouldn't use it. 

But in the end, if you use it, I don't think it will hurt your daughter in anyway.  I meet kids and adults with all kinds of names including girls with traditionally male names.  It is what it is.  They are who they are.  If I saw a resume with Elliot on a girl, I wouldn't be phased by it at all.
  • Options
    You know what? I'm going to name my son Elizabeth! Anything goes nowadays, right? It won't phase him at all to have a traditionally feminine name! All you bishes can keep your mouths shut because you don't know anything! All that matters is that we love it! My son Elizabeth. Has a nice ring to it.
  • Options
    I don't particularly love Elliott for a girl but I do personally think its on the more feminine side. Not saying that Elliott would move over to the girls aide but Kelly, Leslie, Lynn, Quinn, Ashley and etc are all considered very much girls names now a days. Even if that's not how they started. My daughters name is Kherington. Carrington is all boy according to the world and baby books. However, I've only ever known one Kherington and that was a female. I got ridiculed up and down for it. But it was the name I loved years before I got pregnant and I wasn't budging. She has a very feminine middle name to balance it out and if she so chooses she can go by Kheri (which I hate, no matter the spelling) or even simply Kay. This is your daughter, if you love it then so be it. While its traditionally a boys name at least you're not spelling it ellyotte or something crazy like that.
  • Options
    I'm kind of in love with Elliott Claire. Super cute.
    Rainbow baby due in September!
    .image
    May Siggy Challenge - Favorite Onscreen Mom
    image  image
  • Options
    If you can't handle people being mean, don't ask the Internet for opinions. You asked for it. 

Just name her Ellie Claire. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 
    VOTE on my Name List
  • Options
    You know what? I'm going to name my son Elizabeth! Anything goes nowadays, right? It won't phase him at all to have a traditionally feminine name! All you bishes can keep your mouths shut because you don't know anything! All that matters is that we love it! My son Elizabeth. Has a nice ring to it.

You should totally do it. It's always sounded so masculine to me! Don't let the haters get you down!

:))
  • Options
    Wow you kinda got grilled on this one. Its not necessarily my style, but I don't think it's horrible by any means! Some people aren't into unisex names I can see that, mostly from the standpoint of a little girl mistakenly being called a boy time and time again. And that's what I would be concerned about, just because kids are mean and if 99%of the Elliott's in this world are boys its just going to be assumed by adults, perhaps not so nicely as been made evident in above replies. If the name is something you really love, maybe don't let it go all the way just move it to the middle for a cute pairing..... this might be easier said than done depending on the last name but its worth a shot!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"