VBAC

Doing it all over again--2VBAC

I am about 9 weeks along with #3 and going down the VBAC road again. I am definitely more relaxed than last time but still worried it won't work out again. I had my first VBAC at home but because we have moved, I am looking at a hospital birth this time. I am going to the doctor that everyone in my local ICAN group raves about, and she seemed very supportive at our first appt. She said i have great odds of another VBAC and they will let me labor in the tub, etc. But I am nervous about delivering in a new place, even though the hospital is supposed to be very supportive. And nervous about what to expect with a second VBAC, primarily that it will be extremely fast--or that it won't be fast at all. I just hope I don't grow a giant baby. Another 7 pounder, please!

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Doing it all over again--2VBAC

• Yay! Congrats!!! I'm sure everything will be great for you - smaller baby or not.

I think the worries that come with a VBAC still hangs on with other VBACs. I had a great experience in the hospital, though it was with a MW group.

Good luck!!
    DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• @nosoup thanks, hearing about good hospital births is reassuring. I am seeing a family practice doc. She doesnt do c/s and has an ob/gyn back up, so in a lot of ways she is like a midwife. I have heard tons of good things about her, and a good friend of mine had a wonderful water birth VBAC with her earlier this year. So I am hopeful this won't be like my first hospital birth at all.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I also just had a great hospital experience with a supportive mw and ob/gyn group. They really considered my wishes and I was very upfront about my desires....Unfortunately my TOLAC ended in another c/s after 24+ hrs of labor, prom, and 2 1/2 hrs pushing baby became very tachycardic and was not tolerating pushing any longer...

The key is finding the supportive provider! I know mine did everything they could to try and let me get that vbac! Good luck!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • My 1st and 3rd births were homebirths (3rd baby was a VBAC) so I can understand the added stress that comes when going from a homebirth to a hospital birth.  I would just go over all the procedures she does/doesn't do and tour the hospital so you're comfortable with your surroundings.  What if she's not available, is her backup just as supportive.  Were your previous labors fast?  My 1st was 4 hours and my 3rd was 2 1/2 and now I'm pregnant with baby #4 and I've already told my midwife, I don't think I can do a 1 hour birth!  But I firmly believe your body won't do anything your not comfortable with.  With my 3rd, my body wouldn't go into labor without my midwife there.  She had a hunch I'd be going into labor in the middle of the night and knew I was so nervous about a fast labor and her not getting there on time so she offered to sleep on my couch.  While she was on her way and my mind at total ease, my body went into labor.  Best of luck! 
  • *LrCg* said:
    My 1st and 3rd births were homebirths (3rd baby was a VBAC) so I can understand the added stress that comes when going from a homebirth to a hospital birth.  I would just go over all the procedures she does/doesn't do and tour the hospital so you're comfortable with your surroundings.  What if she's not available, is her backup just as supportive.  Were your previous labors fast?  My 1st was 4 hours and my 3rd was 2 1/2 and now I'm pregnant with baby #4 and I've already told my midwife, I don't think I can do a 1 hour birth!  But I firmly believe your body won't do anything your not comfortable with.  With my 3rd, my body wouldn't go into labor without my midwife there.  She had a hunch I'd be going into labor in the middle of the night and knew I was so nervous about a fast labor and her not getting there on time so she offered to sleep on my couch.  While she was on her way and my mind at total ease, my body went into labor.  Best of luck! 
    My first labor was LONG, like 30+ hours, but it was also an induction.  So if we had waited for labor to start on its own, my body may have been more ready and it may have gone faster (or maybe not).

My second had a first stage labor of only 2 hours, and then I pushed for 3 hours.  I hear that second vaginal births go much faster, and I'm worried if I keep the 2 hour labor and then only have to push like 5 minutes, that things will go faster than I am prepared for.  But I think just anticipating the possibility of that scenario will make us more prepared, and my doctor and I talked about it some and will discuss more as it approaches.

I don't really agree that bodies don't do things we aren't comfortable with.  I've heard way too many accidentally unassisted birth stories, and stories where things went seriously wrong during pregnancy and birth.  Trust birth isn't a philosophy I subscribe to.  More like hope for the best, prepare for complications.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I too don't agree with any philosophy starting with "Women have been doing this for thousands of years" BS. Yes, we are designed to give birth. Unfortunately sometimes things go wrong. 
  • My Vbac was in a hospital and it was amazing. My entire staff of nurses and the OB were completely supportive and let me do what I wanted. I was able to labor in the tub, no IV, no pain meds they listened to me and my wants. There was one dr on call that was a jerk and I threw him out of my room and the nurses backed me up and the other dr that came in was excellent. I'm excited to have my 2nd Vbac there this summer.
    Soon to be mommy of 3!
    DS Grayson (3yrs) (Emergency Csec)
    imageDS Camden (1yr) (All natural Vbac)
    DD Isabella due 8/2/2014

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Iris, I am so thrilled for you!!!  Please feel free to PM me if you want to chat about 2VBAC stuff  :)  My 2VBAC was totally different from my first VBAC and also in a completely different birthing environment.  I haven't been on TB much until just recently, but I'm gradually coming back to my BMB and here.  Congratulations!

~Sweet Girl *8/18/08* c-section ~ Sweet Boy *12/2/10* VBAC ~ Sweet Boy *8/14/12* VBAC~ 

VBAC Birth Story    2VBAC Birth Story  

• @babyike, I was wondering if you were still around, yay! I have tons of questions. Be warned, I am probably going to send you a neurotic PM soon :)

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I just had my second VBAC and it was wonderful :)

A
    imageimageimage

M/c #1 - 10/30/07 - 5w3d, DS1 - born at 36w, M/c#2 - 12/7/09 - 5w, M/c #3 - 1/13/10 - 4w6d, 
    M/c #4 - 3/16/10 - 5w1d, DS2 -  born via VBAC at 40w3d, M/c#5 - 11/5/12 - 7w2d
    BFP #8 - 5/5/13- Looks like a sticky one! DS3 - born via epi-free VBAC at 39w1d

• I just had my second VBAC and it was wonderful :)

A
    @rowanthefrog Congrats!  That is very encouraging.  How did the length of your labor compare to your first VBAC?  What about the pushing phase?

Pregnancy Ticker
  • rowanthefrogrowanthefrog member
    edited January 2014
    iris427 said:
    I just had my second VBAC and it was wonderful :)

A
    @rowanthefrog Congrats!  That is very encouraging.  How did the length of your labor compare to your first VBAC?  What about the pushing phase?
    @iris427
    1st VBAC was 36 hrs of labor but just 3 pushes.
    2nd VBAC was 11.5 hrs of labor (epi-free.) I had maybe 20 min of involuntary "practice" pushing but once I hit 10cm it took 3 pushes again to deliver him! So much shorter :)

A
    imageimageimage

M/c #1 - 10/30/07 - 5w3d, DS1 - born at 36w, M/c#2 - 12/7/09 - 5w, M/c #3 - 1/13/10 - 4w6d, 
    M/c #4 - 3/16/10 - 5w1d, DS2 -  born via VBAC at 40w3d, M/c#5 - 11/5/12 - 7w2d
    BFP #8 - 5/5/13- Looks like a sticky one! DS3 - born via epi-free VBAC at 39w1d

• :waves to Iris:

I saw stats the other day on my local ICAN  FB page that puts the success rate of 2VBAC at 90%.  I know that stats aren't a guarantee, but I thought that might make you feel better. 

My experience with my 2VBAC was that once the doctors knew I had one under my belt, they were much more confident that I could have another, and those that weren't the most supportive the first time around were much more supportive.  There was no scheduling a RCS "just in case."  I know you're with different doctors, but hopefully you find it to be the same way. 

"Little seahorse/Floating on a primal tide/Quickening like a/Spark in a haystack side/I already love you/And I don't even know who you are" -Bruce Cockburn BabyFetus TickerLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BOOKWORMS and BUTTERFLIES
  • Ceefome said:

:waves to Iris:

I saw stats the other day on my local ICAN  FB page that puts the success rate of 2VBAC at 90%.  I know that stats aren't a guarantee, but I thought that might make you feel better. 

My experience with my 2VBAC was that once the doctors knew I had one under my belt, they were much more confident that I could have another, and those that weren't the most supportive the first time around were much more supportive.  There was no scheduling a RCS "just in case."  I know you're with different doctors, but hopefully you find it to be the same way. 

@ceefome  Thanks, this is encouraging. :)

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm just a lurker but I wanted to share my experience in case it helps. I just had my second vbac a week ago with midwives at a hospital and it went great!

My cesarean birth was due to breech, so I spent my entire second pregnancy freaked about positioning and trying to find the "perfect" place for my vbac (26 months later). I was going for a homebirth but ended up transferring to a hospital because I found out I had GBS in my urine and it wasn't a risk I was comfortable with. Labor was the same as my first - 5 hours with water breaking to start - and I pushed for 1.5 hours. Some second degree tears.

This time (19 months after my second, slight surprise!) I decided to go back to my original midwives and try to totally relax. I knew it was our last baby and so I figured if it ended in a cesarean, oh well. As my due date got closer I wanted the vbac more and more because I wanted the comparatively easy recovery. Labor with Baby girl #3 was, again, 5 hours start to finish beginning with broken waters. However, labor felt different because I felt baby descending the entire time. I felt her move down my center, felt her widening my pelvis, and then boom, felt the urge to push (I had been checked 30 minutes prior and was at 6 cm). 5 pushes and she was out! No tears! I don't know if it was being in the water or the fact that Baby 2 cleared the way, but it was awesome. My babies have been 7.4, 7, and 7.12 lbs respectively so this little one is the biggest. All 38 weekers, too.

My recovery even as to my second has been night and day because of the no tearing. I ended up with the midwife I had with my first (the one who said, "oh shit, it's a butt!) so that was some lovely closure for us all :) The birth was at 2 am, and while I was in the shower the midwife and nurses had places little electric candles everywhere - it was lovely. The only issue I had in the end with being in a hospital was the aftercare was a bit too paternalistic for us. We were ready to leave after 24 hours and they really wanted us to stay for 48 since I only had 3 hours of IV antibiotics before the birth. We ended up having to leave AMA (with our midwife's support) which was awkward but oh well.

Lots of love to you vbac mamas.
  • Can't figure out how to edit from mobile but wanted to clarify the birth of my third was 19 months later. I was worried about my body being too tired or that somehow having an effect but I don't think it did. Postpartum with three three and under is another story however...:)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"