Adoption
Options

How Private were you?

I'm still very early in all of this, and planning to attend an information session this evening. How private were you with your plans to adopt? I know when many couples are trying to have children, they don't necessarily tell people, and don't announce until the 2nd trimester. It seems to me that even if you wanted to keep things quiet, with the need for recommendations and referrals, that it's hard to keep adoption private even if you really want to. I'm typically a pretty private person, and I know I'll have to field a lot of questions down the road, but I guess my question is is this process as much of an invasion of privacy as it seems like it could be, and how private or public were you with your plans to adopt? 
Road to motherhood started Jan 2014 Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

Re: How Private were you?

• Options
    We're only at the very start of the process too. I've always talked about adoption so my friends and family have all heard me mention it in the past. It's not something that would be a shock to anyone (except maybe the in-laws). We are going to wait until we've completed a home study and have a concrete plan in place before telling family and close friends. If we do pursue international adoption, we'll most likely wait until we're traveling for the first trip to make it completely public (ex: facebook public). If we go foster adopt, we would probably wait to announce once we have a placement.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We weren't completely private about it, but we didn't talk about it much either. Having people aware of the fact that we were getting licensed was very helpful, because with foster care you need to be prepared for a variety of ages (well we did, since we were open to up to three kids under the age of 6). My mom talked about it with her friends, and they were awesome about giving us old beds, dressers and such just to put out for our home study - we didn't want to spend the money on all new stuff when we had no idea what we would actually need. We had enough stuff to show DCF we were prepared for anything (except of course the girls we were ultimately placed with, life has a funny way of being like that), without spending a huge amount of money.

5/10 - Gideon 6/12 Warren
    4/11 Started adoption process for 2 siblings through DCF. 10/12 Found out we are licensed! 12/14 Brought 3 week old identical twin girls home from the hospital.  Could be at least until Summer 1015 til we know if they are forever ours
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Dr.LorettaDr.Loretta member
    edited January 2014

The process itself wasn't that invasive, but it can vary from place to place.

We had layers of privacy. My family knew from our evolution from TTC to adoption. Close friends were also in that group. The ILs found out when we picked an agency. DH's boss gave a reference, so he knew during the home study. I told my CWs when we went active, and mentioned it in our Christmas card that year. I was warned that people would it me a lot, but they more or less left me alone and celebrated when we got placed

ETA: I got a lot of invasive and insulting questions/comments when we were TTC (and not telling many people). Everything from co-workers offering me free fertility drugs to others asking if I liked children. I definitely put up a wall because I didn't want ignorant comments about adoption. Those ended up happening after placement.

• Options
    We weren't private about it. At all.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    We aren't private about it at all. I think it's good for people to talk about it to normalize it, you know? Also, I wouldn't want to miss out on a referral because I didn't say anything. Once we are matched though, I probably won't tell many people until placement. I kind of see that as the waiting until second tri. So just close friends and family.
  • Options
    Not very private. We didn't shout it out or anything but all family, friends & many coworkers knew by the time our homestudy was complete. We know two different couples that were matched through word of mouth with friends of friends. We are doing foster to adopt currently, but we didn't want to miss out on any opportunities. We would do DIA if a match just fell into our laps.
  • Options
    I'm a open book! I love to talk and was very open through my ivfs and DEgg process. And will be open with adoption as well. I have learned to not talk people's ear off about it and they don't need to know every single detail but if they ask certain questions I answer as much as they want to know! Good luck with your decision.
    Me 34 and DH 39 married in aug. 2002
    Did 5 round of clomid 2010 =BFN
     High levels of NK CELLS DX sept.2012 DOR:# 0.02 
    IVF #1 May 2012  ER 4, EF 2, ET 2 =BFN
    MINI IVF Oct.2012  Cancelled 10-27-12
    Ivf #3 Antagonist Protocol April 2013
    Shared cycle..Donor cycled in July Got 12 eggs 9 fertilized and 8 frozen!!
    DE FET #1 Sept. 3rd 2013 FIRST BFP EVER 5dp5dt
    miscarried Sept 24th at 5 weeks 5 days
    Etopic  D&C and hysterscopy Nov 5 2013
    dx with pre genetic blood clotting dec 2013
    FET #2 Jan 31st  2014 
    Miscarried for a second time again at 5 weeks 5 days
    Currently fostering to adopt an amazing little 1 year old boy..P.J!
    FET#3  is Oct 29th 2014
    BFN on fet #3
    Last and FINAL FET coming JAN 28th 2015
    Everyone Welcome

• Options
    We were very private for our first adoption, told family and close friends when we were done with home study, and other friends when our profile went active.  For the second time around, we haven't been as private, telling people we were starting the process again throughout...
  • Options
    Once we knew which adoption agency we were going to go with we began telling people. We were SO excited to be in the process! Yes, it is sort kinda not really like getting pregnant and people don't tell others when the try (typically) but No, it wasn't really like getting pregnant... adoption is a public affair, you need your support to stand with you through it. We were happy that we began talking about it with people. People tended NOT to give us unsolicited advice about trying fertility treatments, or make rude and uneducated comments, and if they did we were able to lean on our supports to help educate them on WHY it was inappropriate to say anything like that etc!

I think it is all a personal opinion. We asked our families to be a part of our adoption video so I needed them to know pretty early on that we would need their assistance! Do what ever feels natural for YOU!
    Began the Adoption process 4/2013
    Home study Approved 12/2013
    .... and the wait begins! 

• Options
    We've been pretty open with our whole journey. Our family and close friends have known for a while. We will tell co workers etc. when we go active. I think like previous posts, you should just do what feels most comfortable. After 4 plus years of working towards becoming a family, this feels pretty dang exciting!
  • Options
    We've been super open about our plans to adopt ever since we signed with an agency.  I agree that much of the adoption process has felt like an invasion of privacy, but I haven't felt that way about being public about our plans.  Whatever we choose to share has been on our own terms, which you can't say about much else with adoption.  While I've dealt with my share of stupid comments, I've found that the more open I am about sharing our journey, the more everyone around me has had an opportunity to learn about adoption.  Many people are really surprised when they hear our news and it's taken a lot of conversations to catch them up on what lead to this decision.  I can't imagine the questions I'd have to answer if they first learned we're adopting a week before we leave for China. 
    Son #1 - September '09
    Son #2 - October '11
    Son #3 - Hoping to adopt from China some time in 2014!

Our adoption journey: Talkin' 'Bout the Next Generation
  • Options
    We were more private about our process. Although our immediate family and closest friends knew. During the last few weeks before placement we started talking about things more openly. I think for me I was concerned about making the awkward phone calls or answering the questions if our placement failed.
    Blessed with 2 amazing little boys. One grew in my tummy and the other my heart.

06/30/10 my 1st son was born on my birthday. 
    TTC #2 since 05/2011 BFP- Feb 2012, EDD- 11/01/12, m/c- 03/05/12 @ 5w+4d 
    12/20/13 my 2nd son was born and placed in my arms.
    Surprise BFP- Nov 2014, EDD- 8/06/215, mc 12/24/2015 @ 8w+6d
    SURPRISE - BFP- 4/8/2105

• Options
    TripplebTrippleb member
    edited January 2014
    We were very private through TTC and continue to be as we are knee deep into adoption.  We had to tell three friends about our adoption plans. like you mentioned  we needed them for references. All three were sworn to secrecy. LOL.  I tried to pick people that weren't close to any of my family members.

Just this week we had plans to meet with an expecting mom.  She lives close enough to us that I debated whether we would tell our families at the time of birth because it would be close enough my sister and her husband could bring my parents to the hospital. After being told by the expecting mom they she really liked us and thought we were the ones, she cancelled the meeting.  I quickly decided that nope, no one was going to know until we bring the baby home. To much can go wrong.
    TTC #1 since 9/07
    Dx MFI, AMA, Endo, AMH .16
    Lap 10/09 Removed endometrioma, stage IV endo and adhesions
    Lap 2/10 Endometrioma cysts & adhesions returned.
    Ivf #1 4/10 Antagonist, ET Cancelled.
    IVF #2 2/11 A/ACP+E2V C/P
    IVF #3 6/11 Letrozole/Antagonist BFN
    IVF #4 11/11 Low stim Antagonist BFN
    Lap 3/12 Lap & Selective HSG
    Many cycles of Letrozole and LP HCG w/TI and LDN
    IVF #5 8/12 Low stim BFN
    IUI #1 10/12 BFN br> S&PAIFW
  • Options
    We let close friends and family know that we were researching and praying about it. This helped as many had helpful resources for us. OUr church even did a discovering adoption class so we could learn about all the different types of adoption, attachment, etc. Once we were sure which route we were going and who our agency was and the homestudy done, etc. Basically once we were approved, ready and on waitlists, we were more open. Kind of gentle though. I think a put a generic message on facebook about free chick -fil -a breakfast on my way to adoption class. Some people caught it, some did not. Eventually we were much more open.
  • Options
    Thank you for all the replies, this has been very helpful. Since I'm pursuing an older child adoption, I've decided I'm going to keep things relatively quiet until I'm a little further along in the process.
    Road to motherhood started Jan 2014 Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"