June 2014 Moms
Options

What "sparks" baby movement?

babygabe614babygabe614 member
edited January 2014 in June 2014 Moms

I've seen a few people say they drink a glass of OJ or cranberry juice if they want to get baby moving. I am not feeling anything consistently yet, but just curious what "works" for everyone so far when it comes to getting the LO to move around a bit?

ETA: words

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: What "sparks" baby movement?

• Options
    For me, it's something sugary like ice cream.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Either cold or sugary.  Or both...Charlie likes ice cream :)

Married DH 7/30/11

CSC arrived 5/7/12 

CHC arrived 6/2/14

• Options

STM here so I knew what I was feeling sooner with this pregnancy but I couldn't coerce movement until recently (18wks).  What works for me is cold sugary drinks (about 15 minutues after drinking) and laying flat on my back and being very still.  Sometimes after I eat I feel little bumps around in there but not always. 

• Options
    I feel like it is very hit or miss at this point. I feel baby more in the morning usually. Sometimes eating or drinking results in movement for me and sometimes not though. It's still early to get consistent movement.
  • Options
    It seems to happen most for me when I'm really concentrating on something else or trying to sleep lol.
  • Options
    Mine seems to happen after meals... but I will definitely say ice cream almost always does the trick!  
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Mine so far happened when I STOPPED doing physical activity. It makes perfect sense, I go for a walk, I'm essentially rocking the baby to sleep. After the walk, I lay down flat (couch, bed, floor) and the bean is like "Hey what happened to the rocking!?" and wakes up. I felt her a lot last night when I first went to bed.

I've tried drinking/eating several different foods and nothing worked for me.

BabyFruit TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    When I eat a meal - doesn't matter what it is.  Sometimes I feel like I need to be still and actually concentrate on movement for me to feel it.  I never feel it when I'm moving around and not paying attention.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Mine is not consistent yet, but every time I've noticed it it's been when I've been sitting/laying in one place for a bit.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks for the tips, ladies. I always second guess whether what I'm feeling is baby or not since it's still early but I ate a cold (refrigerated) banana and some sweet caramel rice cakes about 20-25 minutes ago and felt a light "popping" feeling on my lower left abdomen just a few moments ago. I *want* to think that's baby, based on what other people have described the feeling as, but I think timing it with food/drink and making sure to sit still and concentrate has helped me feel more confident about what I'm actually feeling. :)

• Options
    My baby moves around all the time (as seen on numerous ultrasounds) but that doesn't mean that I can feel her.  I actually feel her better when I am sitting cross legged and sort of leaning over (I sit at my computer chair with my legs crossed.  Not sure why, but it works for me :)  

Soon we'll all be feeling them all the time!!
    BabyFruit Ticker

BFP 3.8.16  EDD 11.20.16

• Options
    Yesterday my boss made me a Juice/smoothie with a ton of fruit. After drinking it the kid literally felt like it was filming a Kung Fu movie in there!! It went on for 30 mins! It made me motion sick as well. This morning I had strawberries and a banana and it started kicking around again. So LO doesn't react to fake sugar like ice cream and chocolate but goes nuts with fruit.

BabyFruit Ticker
    June 2014 February Siggy Challenge - Picture of me and DH
  • Options
    Agreed that sugar of any kind is like crack to my LO - s/he goes nuts! Also when I'm super relaxed s/he seems to wake up and want to party.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I find he moves most after cold drinks (oj), after I eat and also if I'm slightly leaning over.

• Options
    Last night my kitty was sitting on my tummy purring and I'm pretty sure I felt the baby do some light kicks a few times. I think she is communicating with her big sister already :)

But then again, it could have just been gas.. ha ha
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
                      DH and I in front of our first house - Aug 2013
  • Options
    relaxing after a cold beverage or a meal usually works, I can feel some stuff when I sit at my desk at work but its not consistent yet :) I would say your popping feeling was definitely baby.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Nothing will consistantly make him/her move for me yet. I only feel movements once or twice a day, if I'm lucky. Yesterday I was singing along in the car to Soundgarden and I felt a good kick. Haha!

Pregnancy Tickerimage

• Options
    I usually feel the most after a meal, or right before bed when I am laying still. I too have been coughing a ton, and sometimes I feel quite a bit of movement after coughing. It is such a weird/cool/amazing feeling...for the first couple weeks I wasn't really sure or confident that it was baby I was feeling, but it is slowly becoming a bit more consistent, so I think that has to be it!
    February Siggy Challenge - Picture of You and DH. Us with our engagement pumpkins. DH carved each word of "Will You Marry Me" and the date 10/11/12 into five dfferent pumpkins.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    How far along are you ladies? I'm 19 weeks with no movement. I think that's okay so far (maybe this baby gets it's sleeping and lounging skills from me!) but when is the point when 'everyone' feels movement by?
  • Options
    MollySm said:
    My baby moves around all the time (as seen on numerous ultrasounds) but that doesn't mean that I can feel her.  I actually feel her better when I am sitting cross legged and sort of leaning over (I sit at my computer chair with my legs crossed.  Not sure why, but it works for me :)  

Soon we'll all be feeling them all the time!!
    I was going to say I feel it often in the afternoon when I'm sitting at my desk.  I never associated the fact that I often sit crossed legged with maybe being the reason I'm feeling it.  I'm going to have to do a test now this afternoon and sit normally and then crossed legged and see what happens. 

imageimage

• Options
    If I'm laying down flat on my back and poke my stomach I can usually get a kick or two. Early mornings are my best bet though.
  • Options
    Eating, drinking, particularly grsoefruir juice, lying down ans a poke in the belly.
  • Options
    I find it interesting how the time of day seems to vary for everyone. But I will be keeping these tips in mind, especially when things start becoming more consistent!!

• Options
    Orange juice works for this LO, or if DH is talking or playing his guitar LO goes crazy. Also, sweet stuff like a pudding cup or a soda. And pickles and ice cream work every time! (: With my last two if orange juice didn't work spicy food and Dr pepper did.
  • Options

I'm ammending my answer above. Because I treated myself to my weekly diet coke today.

15 minutes later baby started to play roller derby in there. :)

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

How far along are you ladies? I'm 19 weeks with no movement. I think that's okay so far (maybe this baby gets it's sleeping and lounging skills from me!) but when is the point when 'everyone' feels movement by?

From what I understand, some women never feel it, or feel very little. A lot depends on your anatomy, where the placenta is, how LO is positioned. I wouldn't stress just because it hasn't happened yet.

Even for those who do feel it, 20-22 weeks is not unheard of before you a) feel it and b) recognize it as baby vs. gas. :)

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I started to feel LO around 18 weeks but thought it was just gas for the longest time.  Now at 19 weeks there's no mistaking it is the baby.

I can tell you one thing that stopped movement for me.  Getting sick and then not being able to keep a thing down.  This happened yesterday and I was worried because I didn't feel LO even a little bit.  I am able to eat today and have felt LO moving again...thank goodness!

• Options
    I feel him most when I'm sitting...either at my desk at work or even in the car. When I lay down and concentrate on feeling him, I rarely do. I can't wait for it to be stronger and more consistent!
  • Options
    Mostly when I'm sitting still; however, lately when it is meal time and I haven't eaten yet.
  • Options
    LoHerrim said:

Whenever I eat, about 30 mins later. When H says something after it's been quiet for a while. Whenever I have been freaking out cuz I haven't felt it move so go lay down to use my Doppler, that is almost an instantaneous movement guarantee.

Lol you are like me w the Doppler!!!
  • Options
    That baby has got some moves! Damn.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Baby moves on his own with no enticing at this point, but he really kicks and moves if I drink something sugary (soda, OJ) or if I am laying down for bed. Nighttime seems to be his playtime.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie - (uREA)

• Options
    Well I just sat down to read some posts here with a cold diet coke in hand and LO just went nuts within a few minutes ( I'm sure it was the cold) This LO is crazy active compared to my first...she was much more laid back with gentle nudges....this one kicks like crazy. Makes me wonder of he'll be the same once he's out! :). (oh and I'm 20 week tomorrow for time reference)
  • Options
    I have an anterior placenta so her movements have been small feeling until tonight. SO was talking to me and has his hand on my belly and got the biggest kick ever!! It was purposeful for sure. I think I have a soccer player
  • Options
    misscarter87misscarter87 member
    edited January 2014
    Orange juice usually works for me..but it gives me gas afterwards :-S
  • Options

So far I have felt definite flutters twice - once while eating gummy bears and once after eating cereal, both around 9-9:30pm. Guess this kid is a night owl!

• Options
    I'm 22 weeks and still don't feel any consistent movements.  Yesterday, I barely felt anything.  Today is looking to be the same.  I think pregnancy was better when it was too early to feel anything because now my mind is a huge mess!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"