Eco-Friendly Family

Cleaning Products

I am looking for cleaning products that aren't harmful to baby.  I have tried some of the Babyganics but was wondering if anyone uses something else?

Re: Cleaning Products

• Household cleaning products or baby soap and shampoo?
    ~TerpNicole~  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • If you're referring to household cleaning products, we just use baking soda (for scrubbing purposes) and white vinegar (I just keep a spray bottle of 50/50 water and vinegar). Vinegar is great to clean toys with as well.

1 miracle Earth baby and 5 Angel babies

~All welcome~

• Loading the player...
  • cleaning products
  • I've completely fallen in love with vinegar and lemon.  I have a gallon canning jar that I fill with juiced lemon peels then pour white vinegar to cover and let it sit for a couple days.  The aroma is just so clean and wonderful.  Lemon oil from the peels helps because it has antibacterial properties.
  • Hi! I'd like to add a specific to this question please :) I'm already in the vinegar/baking soda camp for cleaning but any suggestions for stone countertops and flooring (i.e. granite, marble, limestone..etc)? I've read that vinegar causes etching and degrades the finish on stone, sometimes badly enough that the surface has to be professionally sealed again :( Anyone heard of this? What do you use that's safe? TIA

• I use all Melaleuca products.  I loved them so much I started working for them lol  Great stuff
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • In response to MommyPhx, the Honest Co. floor cleaner is really good, and gentle on finished floors.
    Code snippet: HTML, Used for websites, email and some forums. Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • @ jamu: Thanks for the tip, I'll check it out!

• My H used to use Pine Sol (ugh) before our son was born. I told him I felt like I was going to get lung cancer every time we mopped and that we had to find something less harsh before baby came, breathing that in and crawling on the floors. We tried Method almond floor cleaner and love it.
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Hi! I'd like to add a specific to this question please :) I'm already in the vinegar/baking soda camp for cleaning but any suggestions for stone countertops and flooring (i.e. granite, marble, limestone..etc)? I've read that vinegar causes etching and degrades the finish on stone, sometimes badly enough that the surface has to be professionally sealed again :( Anyone heard of this? What do you use that's safe? 

For counter tops have you tried a mixture of water and Dr Bronners? I soak some cut up rags in a mixture then use them as wipes for counters and messes. it works great and Bronners isn't harsh. Don't know much about granite though!

• Vinegar is very acidic so at a 50/50 mix, it will easily cut through a lot of coatings such as furniture polish or granite sealant.  The sealant they put on granite has a life cycle and I think this mix might remove it quicker.  I use a 10:1 water/vinegar mix with a few drops of lemon.  This cleans most areas up well and makes me more comfortable about the finishes I am cleaning.
    Hi! I'd like to add a specific to this question please :) I'm already in the vinegar/baking soda camp for cleaning but any suggestions for stone countertops and flooring (i.e. granite, marble, limestone..etc)? I've read that vinegar causes etching and degrades the finish on stone, sometimes badly enough that the surface has to be professionally sealed again :( Anyone heard of this? What do you use that's safe? TIA

• schnookeeschnookee member
    edited January 2014
    My H used to use Pine Sol (ugh) before our son was born. I told him I felt like I was going to get lung cancer every time we mopped and that we had to find something less harsh before baby came, breathing that in and crawling on the floors. We tried Method almond floor cleaner and love it.
    @Meery82 Check out EWG cleaning guide. Pretty sure the method floor cleaner is pretty toxic. If I remember correctly it was graded an F. I was using the method wood for good dusting spray and just looked it up on there and it's pretty bad too. Aussan floor cleaner got a good grade and I'm going to check out the honest co.
  • Hi! I'd like to add a specific to this question please :) I'm already in the vinegar/baking soda camp for cleaning but any suggestions for stone countertops and flooring (i.e. granite, marble, limestone..etc)? I've read that vinegar causes etching and degrades the finish on stone, sometimes badly enough that the surface has to be professionally sealed again :( Anyone heard of this? What do you use that's safe? TIA

I use a spray bottle filled with 1/4 alcohol (to disinfect), 3/4 water, a drop or two of a dish soap (to help lift dirt), and a couple drops of essential oil for scent of you please!

Works wonderfully!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"