Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Knob puzzles

At what age do little ones start knowing how to do the knob puzzles?  DS is almost 16 months, and picks up the pieces, but puts them back down in the wrong spaces.  He will put the yellow car where the green truck should go (upside down, sideways, however), and gets frustrated that they won't go in.  It frustrates me that he doesn't understand that the yellow car should match the yellow car - I love puzzles and he's just so bad at them!  I try and point it out to him and make him understand, but he doesn't seem to get it.  He then just hands me the pieces to do the puzzles.  I feel like he should have grasped the concepts to do the puzzle by now, but he hasn't.  What's everyone else's experience
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Knob puzzles

• Options
    I think it may be expecting a lot for a 16 month old to be able to do this.  My son is 18 months and puts them in the wrong places still and doesn't even have the attention span to look at the puzzle more than a minute or two.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Oh, ok thanks.  I know I shouldn't worry , but the puzzles are marketed as 12 months +, so I guess I thought most 16 month olds could do it by now. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Marketed as 12 months + I'm guessing because at that age they can pick up the pieces and manipulate them (e.g., chew on them, throw them across the room and otherwise not use them for their intended purpose), definitely not meaning that at that age, they can sit and complete the puzzle!  He's not bad at puzzles. :)
  • Options
    @mb314, is your DS able to do sorting blocks correctly?  I am kind of amused that DS (he is 14m) can't tell the shapes; it's all trial and error for him.  We recently started doing the giant knob puzzles.  All he does is pick up one piece in each hand and bang them together. :) He has zero concept of which piece goes where or in what orientation.
    TTC since 10/2008  RE consult 6/2010 Dx:Unexplaied IF

Failed multiple cycles of Clomid+TI and Clomid+IUI

3/2011 inj+IUI #1 BFP. 4/2011 missed m/c. 

Fall 2011 inj+IUI #2&3 BFN

Jan/Feb 2012 IVF#1 BFP 2/23  EDD 10/31/2012 ~~~ Halloween ~~~

Our IVF miracle, Baby Boy M, arrived on 11/8/2012!
  • Options
    Thanks everyone!  I definitely was expecting too much from him at this age. 

• Options
    You are expecting way too much.  A young toddler is still developing visual skills and making sense of the visual information bombarding him, on top of developing fine motor skills and hand-eye coordination.  Knob puzzles seem easy to us, but the board is often very busy-looking and confusing to a young toddler.  Be patient.

DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
  • Options
    My DS is not quite 16 months and for the most part he just shows me the pieces and bangs them together.  I'd say DD was about 20 months before she really got puzzles.  When in doubt, it's usually best to lower your expectations.  
  • Options
    vamomtobe said:
    Marketed as 12 months + I'm guessing because at that age they can pick up the pieces and manipulate them (e.g., chew on them, throw them across the room and otherwise not use them for their intended purpose), definitely not meaning that at that age, they can sit and complete the puzzle!  He's not bad at puzzles. :)
    This and because they aren't considered a choking hazard.  
  • Options
    My DD is 14 months and only chews on the puzzle pieces and throws them across the room. She gets mad when I do the puzzles.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    DS is 18 months and has played with puzzles for about 5 months - mostly picking up the pieces, throwing them, banging them together etc. He started putting some of them in the right places a few weeks ago.
  • Options
    BLPL101BLPL101 member
    edited January 2014
    My mom was a toddler teacher and told me to get knob puzzles with only a few pieces like 3. Too many pieces is overwhelming. My DD is a lot younger than yours....not quite 13 months and she bangs them together, chews on it and has zero idea that it's a "puzzle" lol

BabyFruit Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"