Natural Birth
Options

DH/SO at Hynpobirthing Classes?

Hi Ladies,

A little background - I've always wanted a natural birth since I was young.  Last December/January DH and I got pregnant with spontaneous triplets.  Was told a C Section was our only route, and we figured we more than likely wouldn't have more kids after the trips.  In May, we ran into major complications and I went into labor at 23 weeks.  I delivered our girls naturally - they were breech, but were only 1lb and 1 & 6oz (respectively) but then because of all the emotions, I asked for an epidural in case I ended up delivering our boy that day.  I'm glad I did because Gabe was stillborn and not sure I could've endured the physical pain knowing he had already passed.

Sorry that was so long!

Fast forward to this pregnancy - one baby, so far we're doing good!  I REALLY want a natural birth but I'm starting to scare myself because the last time I was in labor, it wasn't a good experience/outcome.  I've been looking into hypnobirthing and really think it's the way to go.

My question - how important is it that DH is at the classes?  He travels some for work and he's already scheduled to be out of town week 2 (of the 5 weeks).

TIA, ladies!  Any advise/support you can offer would be appreciated!
~ Leah, Rachel and Gabriel were born on May 27, 2013 (23 weeks) ~ Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: DH/SO at Hynpobirthing Classes?

• Options
    First let me say, I am so sorry for your losses!  

To answer your question I think that would probably vary based on the person.  I think for DH and I it would have been fine had he missed one or more classes.  DH liked Hypnobirthing and was fully supportive, but we did very little in terms of practicing together and when the big day came I really just went within myself and didn't really depend on him for the Hypnobirthing piece.  I mean I was so glad he was there of course and he was helpful in other ways, reminded me to drink, gave me a cool washrag for my face, etc.  So again it just sort of depends, but I don't think you will learn anything in one class that you couldn't share with him later on.  Hope this helps!  
  • Options
    MrsP7309MrsP7309 member
    edited January 2014
    I'm so sorry for your loss.

I used Hypnobirthing, and DH needed to be out of town for one class. Our instructor asked us to come to her other session (which ran concurrently) that week, because the week he was out of town was the week where the birth partner learned hands on techniques to help in labor. Other couples in our class would bring in a doula or other support person if their spouse had to miss a week.

I'd say ask the instructor if there's make up session, and what (s)he recommends if your H can't make a class. Good luck!

ETA: I just saw you said week 2. That was the week my DH missed. If your class goes the same way mine did, it's the hands on class, and my instructor called it the most important one for the birth partner. I'd ask the instructor for guidance before sending in a deposit on the class.
    Married July 3, 2009 | Furbaby Trevor July 15, 2009 | Furbaby Darcy May 15, 2010 | BFP August 14, 2012 | DD April 18, 2013
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks ladies!!  I'll be sure to ask when scheduling.
    ~ Leah, Rachel and Gabriel were born on May 27, 2013 (23 weeks) ~ Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    sschwege said:

DH liked Hypnobirthing and was fully supportive, but we did very little in terms of practicing together and when the big day came I really just went within myself and didn't really depend on him for the Hypnobirthing piece.  I mean I was so glad he was there of course and he was helpful in other ways, reminded me to drink, gave me a cool washrag for my face, etc.

I could see my birth going the same way in this regard. We will see, our test is coming up any day now!

OP I'm sorry for your loss. In regards to your question...My hubby got a lot out of the class but your H can either make up the class or you can share with him what he missed. GL!!!
  • Options
    what a heartbreaking birth you experienced. i share with you all my love. 

i teach HypnoBirthing and i encourage mothers to bring a companion to each class. ideally, that companion will be the main support person on your birthing day. however, this isn't always possible. i've taught moms with deployed partners, single moms and moms whose partners work out of state. in those cases, sometimes mom brought a good friend or other family member. in one instance, mother came to all the regular classes, and also booked a private "crash" course where I was able to teach her DH all of the partner-supported techniques and strategies/tips for supporting his partner through labor in a few hours. in another instance, mom brought her doula to class each week and her DH when he was in town. 

i think the most important thing if your DH cannot come and he is your primary support person for birth is to go over the materials from class with him. this will help in two ways: as you review each class w/him, you reinforce the lessons for yourself; and b) obv your DH gets to learn too!

when you are considering instructors, ask them each what how they might be able to accommodate you. i just had a mom ask this recently (actually, maybe it was you? her DH was missing 2 of the 5 classes too! wouldn't that be funny if we've already connected!)

Lindsey
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Our instructor offered one-on-one (two) catch up and refresher classes for a small fee. That might be a good option for any classes he misses.
    Boy 10.6.13
    Labored at freestanding birth center using hypnobirthing techniques
    Delivered via csection
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"