April 2014 Moms
Options

breastfeeding till the age of 4.

PLEASE tell me I'm not being a bitch by laughing at my sister for having the intentions of breastfeeding her son till he's 4. I think that it the most ridiculous shit ever. If your kid is old enough to ask for a tit, GET HIM OFF THE TIT.
This is the reason I'm not breastfeeding my daughter. She has literally ruined it for me.
The pediatrician told her "it's really not necessary to continue to breastfeed past the age of 1"..
Am I the only one who finds this insane?

Re: breastfeeding till the age of 4.

• Options
    KatieGummowKatieGummow member
    edited January 2014
    I heard it is ideal to BF until 2 y.o. if you can manage.  I have heard cases of mom's letting their child choose when to stop.  My SIL BF until her daughter was almost 5, she told her, "you can either have a brother or sister (they couldn't get pregnant) or you can keep breast feeding.  What do you want?'  She stopped BF and they got pregnant.  

I don't think it is necessarily a bad thing until the kiddos are in school, then it makes me feel a little uncomfortable.  I will probably stop at 1.5 years old (hopefully I can make it that long!)..  Just put your baby first, please.

Edit: Spelling
    image    image    image    image

• Options
    I personally would not want to breastfeed that long. I can't wait to breastfeed my first and I really hope I can last a full year. The evidence is just very strong that it's one of the best things we can do to help our babies have a strong start. (Of course if you can't it's not the end of the world). Culturally in America we don't really accept breastfeeding in the first place much less for multiple years. Historically speaking it makes sense to do it for multiple years - it's great nutrition, cheaper, and is a (albeit not 100%) form of birth control. I'm just saying following the rule: judge not lest ye be judged yourself.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    PLEASE tell me I'm not being a bitch by laughing at my sister for having the intentions of breastfeeding her son till he's 4. I think that it the most ridiculous shit ever. If your kid is old enough to ask for a tit, GET HIM OFF THE TIT. This is the reason I'm not breastfeeding my daughter. She has literally ruined it for me. The pediatrician told her "it's really not necessary to continue to breastfeed past the age of 1".. Am I the only one who finds this insane?
    Wow, I can't even imagine nursing that long! I nursed my youngest for 14 months and that was only because HE still wanted to! I was ready to cut him off at 12 months. 
  • Options
    Lol I just don't want to breastfeed personally. It's my own decision. Whatever.
    Her just continuing to breastfeed till her child is 4 just has me in shock. I just don't understand. . A preschooler still breastfeeding .. weirds me out. Everybody tells her it's insane. I keep my comments to myself now because she isn't going to stop lol if the Dr tells her it's crazy and she still doesn't care, then she definitely isn't going to care about my opinion. I was just curious if you ladies found it as crazy
    .as we do.
  • Options
    BRBR member
    While I personally wouldn't do that, I'm in no position to judge.  There are a ton of decisions that you have to make as parents and I wouldn't want someone judging me for my decisions.  There's nothing that makes your opinion better than hers.  We all have our own opinions and have to make the choices we feel are best. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    How would my sisters business start drama here? Lol I'm simply asking if I'm the only one who finds it crazy. And everyone's entitled to their own opinion.
    I agree breastfeeding is healthier and everything but I also agree it's not for everybody. Although it would be better than I do, I'm not. I just don't want to. She didn't entirely change my decision I just feel like I found it less of a bonding moment. She does it out of laziness, which is exactly what she will tell you. I just think it's so crazy..

I personally am choosing to formula feed, I feel better about being able to monitor how much baby is getting rather than just having them latched on a nipple. Again that's MY opinion. We each have our own.
  • Options
    Is she actually planning to BREASTfeed until 4 or just provide breast milk. I have heard of some women continuing to pump for their kids. There was a lady on one of my other BMB that was BF her infant son and pumping for her older son (like 3 at the time) because he had allergies to regular milk. I wouldn't do that, but to each their own.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @Vinny424 think of all the calories you would burn!

mean_girls_35345Image and video hosting by TinyPic         PAL Sep challenge George Takei image
    Started dating in 5/9/05, Married 6/25/11
    Started TTC Feb 2013, BFP #1 3/4/13 EDD 11/10/13. MMC 4/9/13 D&C 4/22/13.
    BFP #2 7/17/13, EDD 3/29/14 ended in a CP on 7/22/13.
    BFP#3 8/19/13 EDD 5/3/14 Nerdling was born 4/29/14, welcome little one!
     All AL welcome.

image   Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    That has made me not feel as comfortable with it. The laziness fact. Breastfeeding should be a special moment between baby and mom, not just a "ugh I dont want to get up in the middle of the night so he sleeps with me and I just roll over and give him a boob" . THAT has changed my opinion on it. I guess I should have specified lol.

• Options
  • Options
    Wow. You've obviously never taken the time to learn about breastfeeding. It is physically and mentally demanding. I wasn't able to nurse past 6 months because of a surgery I had to have. I felt like making a bottle was a million times easier than bfing. Ignorant.
  • Options

Okay :)

Just to clarify, you're agreeing that you're crazy, right?

Come back OP. Share your abundant knowledge with us.

Me: 32 DH: 31.
    B/W: good. SA: good.
    November 2012: Paratubal cyst found during U/S.
    January 10, 2013: Lap removed paratubal cyst and Stage 2 Endometriosis. 
    3 cycles of Femara + TI = BFNs

June 2013: Femara 2.5 mg, Gonal F Injects 37.5 IU, Menopur, trigger + IUI = BFN

July 2013: Femara 2.5 mg, Gonal F Injects 75 IU, Menopur, trigger + IUI = BFP!!!!

Beta 1 @ 11 DPIUI = 76. Progesterone = 27.3

BFP 8/16/2013 // EDD 4/28/2014

Jordan Samuel born April 19, 2014. 6 lb, 12 oz and 18 inches long.

CLICK ME!!!11!!1111!!

• Options
    sueann911 said:
    That has made me not feel as comfortable with it. The laziness fact. Breastfeeding should be a special moment between baby and mom, not just a "ugh I dont want to get up in the middle of the night so he sleeps with me and I just roll over and give him a boob" . THAT has changed my opinion on it. I guess I should have specified lol.
    Hahaha to you calling her lazy for that. That's not lazy. That's convenient. You think she's less of a mother because she doesn't get up and prepare a bottle?
    This. Seriously, we have boobs - why not use them. Besides from everything I've heard (I'm a FTM) breastfeeding is far from easy. It might be more convenient for her now, but I'm sure it wasn't at 2wks when her nipples were cracked and sore and she was getting up every 2 hours or whatever. Let her breastfeed in peace and don't judge.
    image    image

With the possible exception of the equator, everything begins somewhere. - C.S.Lewis

• Options
    I'm thinking 6 months is long enough for me.  I'll start to expose the child to food slowly after that.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"