Chit Chat

Taking out a dog with a baby.

This question is for dog parents that don’t have a yard. How do you take your dog out if you have a baby? This may sound silly but im seriously wondering about the logistics of it. Specifically in cold weather. So if you come home from work and have to take your dog out on a leash to go to the bathroom what do you do with your baby? Do you bundle them up and baby wear them? We have a back yard now but will have to move this fall. We have a good deal now and a fenced in backyard but don’t know if we will be lucky enough to find that again. We may have to move into an apartment and will have a small baby. Im not sure what i would do when i come home from work. Thanks for your imput!

Re: Taking out a dog with a baby.

• When I had to do this at our old house, I put the baby in the swing and took the dog out. Not the most ideal situation, but it was quicker than bundling him up and attempting to wear him, which he hated with the burning passion of a thousand suns, just to let the dog go poop. When he was older, I put him in his activity center and sat him by the back door so we could see each other.
  • I usually put her in her pack n play while I take the dog out. Most of the time the baby is asleep from the ride home from daycare so that works out good for us.
  • Loading the player...
  • I live on a second floor, so there is no "checking out baby through the window/door" for me. Jealous here. Plus I just refuse to leave him alone because anxious baby.

It's ridiculous, and laughable, but here is what I've been doing for 9 months.

Hear dog cry for the door, usually during a bottle feeding or a diaper change, sometimes during a bath;
    Race to finish, get DS dressed and bundled in the winter;
    Scramble to get the carrier on. Realize I have to put a coat on, put the coat on, then re-adjust the carrier;
    The dog is now howling;
    Put the baby in the carrier, put the cover over baby and carrier;
    I can almost hear the dog pee already;
    Fumble to get boots on. Then open the dog's room's door. Yes, he has his own "safe place" away from baby. Lucky dog...
    The baby is now hot and fussing. I, on the other hand, have my hands full with trying to put that darn halti on the dog who is, by the way, seriously having a hard time holding it in;
    Finally get the Halti/leash on. Open the door, get out, try to hold the dog back, close the door, proceed to walk down all of our glorious 19 steps while baby is still fussing;
    Realize that the dog is legit peeing AS we walk down the stairs.

Repeat 3-4 times a day. I have a 50lbs 10y-o mixed mutt who is incontinent and I suspect suffers from memory loss. As a matter of fact, he will ask for the door 5 minutes after getting back inside from a 15 minute walk where he peed, pooped, sniffed butts and peed again. In the winter I have to put boots on his paws (skin condition) AND he refuses to be out more than 15 minutes at a time. I've tried getting him out longer and I had to carry him back upstairs. All 19 steps.

So, not to be a downer, but good luck. Seriously, though, it can never be as bad as this. I swear I make shit more complicated than needed on purpose.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have small dogs and they go on a pee pad. Otherwise we would be out every few hours and ain't nobody got time fo that.

image image

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"