Pre-School and Daycare

quiet naptime activities for active boys? (4-5 yrs)

groovygrlgroovygrl member
edited January 2014 in Pre-School and Daycare
DD has not been napping at DC for some time but I have a really easy time finding things to send with her b/c she likes coloring, beading, stickers, decorating washable animals, etc.  DS has told me he'd like to do nap time activities instead of sleeping the whole time now (which would be awesome if it resulted in him finally going to bed at a reasonable hour...) but I'm stumped on what to send w/ him short of an ipad (not sending that, but it is really the only thing that he'd probably sit and do for an hour if I let him). He does not like to color or draw, he is a very antsy/move around kind of kid and I just don't know what would make him sit on a cot for that long.  They have a lego table at school already so I wouldn't want to send legos, but maybe I could get some other kind of building item that he could use? Are there any portable, quiet, appropriate single player games (other than memory) that he could play? Any other ideas?
His favorite things to play with are hot wheels/cars, magnatiles (which I like keeping at home and don't think they'd work well on a cot anyway), batman/superhero stuff... Also he loves books & at home (bedtime) would sit & read for hours if I let him but not sure it would have the same hold at school. One thing I might sned are some i spy books b/c he likes those, and I saw a suggesting of listening to books, I could maybe get a cheap portable cd player & send some books that have CDs with them, I have a few of those...oh & puzzles. hm, he would need something hard to put on his cot though.... Maybe I have more ideas than I think, lol.

Ideas welcome!  I am willing to buy a few items esp if they are things that can be reused over & over.

Re: quiet naptime activities for active boys? (4-5 yrs)

• fredalina said:
    Does the preschool not have a plan for this? Why is it your responsibility? Honestly, my kid would just plain fail.
    If the kids don't nap they have to be able to sit & play quietly in their cot area. Apparently all the boys still nap incl the ones already 5... but a lot of the girls don't and all the parents send in things like i do, or the teachers will give them coloring, worksheets, books, etc from the room. I'm sure they'd let him play w/ things already in the room I just don't know that there is anything in there that he could do solo/quietly and stay engaged in it for very long.  I don't think this is that unusual when there is a set naptime in a classroom, to have kids sit quietly & entertain themselves with some quiet activity.
  • What about hidden picture books? My DD has a quiet time bag and this is something I put in it. Also maze books.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • fredalina said:
    It's not that unusual, it's just unusual to make the parents send in the stuff to entertain the kids.
    Oh they don't make us, I just don't know what he'd have the focus/interest to do that is already in the room esp since he doesn't like the typical drawing/art type stuff, so I know if I don't provide some new things, he'll end up just sleeping the whole time and we'll never get away from the late bedtime... I made up 5 large ziplocs for DD of things to help her and they're labeled Mon-Fri and i just switch it out each day...otherwise she'd come home w/ 8 million drawings every day & I'd like her to do a little bit different things at school every day besides draw/color (since they do that outside of naptime too obviously).
  • Look and find books, HiFive magazines, Magformers/Magnatiles, or a puzzle...?

• DS LOVES his Tag Reader. Could you send that with head phones? You upload books and they can "read" and play games. He also loves dot to dots, mazes, I spy books and Where's Waldo. What about a Magna Doodle?
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • What about zootles magazines, or magnet books. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DS has a few "My Busy Books" in his quiet time bin. They have quite a few licensed character ones (DS has Cars, Planes & Thomas). It's a big book with a story and in the back is a play mat and small figurines. He almost exclusively plays with these every day during his quiet time.

Other things in his bin are the magnetic dress up boys from Melissa & Doug, stickers, Cars lace & trace, dinosaur figures, magna doodle, maze & connect the dot books, and some other random things. 

• lolonyo said:
    DS has a few "My Busy Books" in his quiet time bin. They have quite a few licensed character ones (DS has Cars, Planes & Thomas). It's a big book with a story and in the back is a play mat and small figurines. He almost exclusively plays with these every day during his quiet time.

Other things in his bin are the magnetic dress up boys from Melissa & Doug, stickers, Cars lace & trace, dinosaur figures, magna doodle, maze & connect the dot books, and some other random things. 

My kids are OBSESSED with these. There are by far, the most used toys we have. We had Thomas the Train, Cars, My Little Pony, Frozen, and DC Superheroes. They just love them.

• A friend of mine recently bought my 4 yo a book from Melissa and doug.  You 'magically color" it in with one marker and it reveals all the colors.  The theme was dinosaurs, I'm sure there are other themes.  He was really into it for a long time!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"