April 2014 Moms
Options

Amateur research on morning sickness

HNRomanceHNRomance member
edited January 2014 in April 2014 Moms
I'm curious about if there is more to "morning" sickness than just "you have it or don't". It can't be just genetics because the women in my family are historically sick for months and I was not. Let's see what you ladies have to say! Just pick what best describes your situation.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Amateur research on morning sickness 238 votes

Sick for 2+ months and having a boy. Waited till pregnant for vitamins
11% 27 votes
Sick for 2+ months and having a girl. Waited till pregnant for vitamins.
10% 24 votes
Hardly sick or not at all with boy. Took prenatal vitamins before pregnancy
16% 40 votes
Hardly sick or not at all with girl. Took prenatal vitamins before pregnancy
17% 42 votes
Took prenatals before pregnancy and still sick as a dog regardless
30% 73 votes
Didn't do or take anything special before pregnancy and I'm a lucky bitch that had no MS!
13% 32 votes

Re: Amateur research on morning sickness

• Options
    started taking prenatal vitamins as soon as we decided we wanted to have another baby. Still got morning sickness all through first trimester and a little going into second tri. Even now I'll still get it if I don't eat often enough.

image  mean_girls_35345

DD1- 2009, M/C- 2011, M/C- 2012, DD2- 2012, DD3- 2014

• Options
    You need a SS option, cause I've had both. With DS I did nothing special (he was quite the surprise) and I was sicker than shit all of 1st tri. This time, the baby is a girl, also a big surprise (so nothing special to prep for pregnancy), and I had so few pregnancy symptoms (pretty much just a missing period) that I became irrationally concerned with the welfare of the baby until I got a doppler - ie no morning sickness. I am an only child, and my mom never got MS with me... My Oma had MS with my mom but not with my uncle...so I'm pretty sure that every pregnancy and every baby is simply different; any relation to anyone else is purely coincidence.
    Anniversary
    RTT badgeDSCN1111  Isla
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Took prenatals before sick for 2 months and having girl.
  • Options
    Took prenatals for a year before conceiving, felt nauseous until 18 weeks (and still off and on since then) but only threw up twice. Having a boy :)
    TTC #1 since August 2012 |  BFP August 17th, 2013  |    EDD April 25th, 2014
    Living with Vestibulodynia (Chronic pelvic pain)

• Options
    I took prenatals before pregnancy and I'm still sick! Way better than first tri but still there. Having a girl. My mom had no morning sickness.
  • Options

Took prenatals before sick for 2 months and having girl.

• Options
    Took prenatals for months prior to conception, never sick in this pregnancy (boy) or last (girl). My mom had twins and never had morning sickness either, just the occasional queasiness.
    Some people are just more affected by the hormones of pregnancy than others, I think.

BFP: 7/5/10   EDD: 3/13/11  Miscarriage 8/1/10 at 8 weeks

BFP: 10/30/10   EDD: 7/7/11   Born 7/11//11 7lb12oz, 20 in.

BFP: 7/30/13  EDD: 4/9/14 Born right on time on his due date! 8lb10oz, 21.5 in.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Awesome prophetic fortune cookie: Love is a present that can be given every single day you live

• Options
    KendraL86KendraL86 member
    edited January 2014
    Starting taking prenatals 2 months before. Sick multiple times a day (average of 6-10) from weeks 5-18. Started acupuncture at week 18, and, as long as I go religiously once a week, I only vomit twice a week.

Edit: I'm having a boy.
  • Options
    Didn't take anything until I got my BFP and no morning sickness. BUT, my mom said she didn't get sick until her third tri with my oldest brother, and I also know a girl who had a girl in August and also wasn't sick until her third tri. So, it could still happen.
    February Siggy Challenge: Favorite TV couple ~ Jim & Pam <3

Edolie Mae ~ April 21, 2014 <3
  • Options
    Baby was surprise so no prenatals until about 5 weeks. No morning sickness either and baby is a boy. My mom also didn't have any morning sickness, and she had all girls.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Started dating February 6, 2012
    Married June 28, 2013
    BFP August 9, 2013
    Had our first baby, Samuel Robert, on April 17, 2014!

• Options
    I've been on prenatals a for about 5y, 1.5y before my first pregnancy... Puked only with my 1st pregnancy (a loss), not even nauseous with DD, this one we are team green and I was nauseous but didn't puke.
    *Married 10.10.08*
    TTC #1 9.09 - BFP#1:2.18.10= missed m/c, D&C 4.16
    BFP#2:10.22.10=Avelin born 7.2.11
    TTC#2: 2.13 - BFP#3: 7.25.13=Kelsey born 3.31.14
  • Options
    @hordol I just have to say that every single time I see your name, I immediately read it as Hodor, from Game of Thrones. I can't help it! FWIW it's my favorite show. :)
    Anniversary
    RTT badgeDSCN1111  Isla
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    CalinAZ said:
    Took prenatals for a year before conceiving, felt nauseous until 18 weeks (and still off and on since then) but only threw up twice. Having a boy :)
    This is pretty much me, too. Although I think I was sick until around 20/21 weeks. And my nausea was debilitating, I was taking zofran every 8 hours but only threw up once.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Took prenatal a for a few months before we started trying. I was sick until week 12-13. Having a boy.

My first pregnancy I started taking prenatals when I found out I was pregnant... Never was sick or nauseous. Also a boy.
  • Options
    Took prenatals a couple months before and was nauseous all day everyday from about week 6-13. I only actually got sick 5-8 times though.... Having a girl.
  • Options
    I've been on prenatal vitamins for a year and half. I took then for 6-8 months before we got pregnant with the triplets (early Jan) and haven't stopped taking them. Never had ANY morning sickness with either pregnancy - and we're team green this time
    ~ Leah, Rachel and Gabriel were born on May 27, 2013 (23 weeks) ~ Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Didn't take anything until my BFP and I had MS from 6 weeks-24 weeks with my little boy. Yup, this is my first week without morning sickness. I still can't eat much, but hey at least my head isn't in the toilet 24/7. I don't believe any of the wife tales. Every woman is different.

• Options
    I am a FTM I started taking prenatal vitamins 6 months before getting BFP. I am 23 weeks today and I am still sick and on Zofran just to function. We are having a girl. My mother was never this sick. I'm pretty sure genetics doesn't have anything to do with MS, especially since some people are sick with one pregnancy and not another.
  • Options
    Took prenatals a few months before BFP, no morning sickness, team green.

imageimage
  • Options
    I have been nauseous the entire time, as I was with DS, and this is another boy. I take folic acid but not prenatals because they make me sicker.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I started taking vitamins when found out we were pregnant. I'm having a boy and was sick every morning for the 4 months. Then it went down to a few times a week. Now it's maybe once a week

Married 05/10/13
    Wyatt Nicholas born 04/10/14
  • Options
    I said I took prenatals and was sick as a dog even though I don't know what sick as a dog really means. I was nauseous all of the time but only threw up maybe once a week. I know a lot of people have it much worse.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Took prenatals for about 6mo before getting KU with DS1 and had zero morning sickness. I continued taking them postpartum until getting KU with DS2 and had nausea (no actual puking) until I stopped breastfeeding DS1 around 8 weeks.
  • Options
    None of those apply to me.  I took prenatals for several months before getting pregnant. I'm having a boy.  I felt sick for about 2 months (till 13ish weeks), but didn't GET sick very often.  Mostly nausea and dry heaves.
    imageDSC_9275  image

• Options
    Morgan2992Morgan2992 member
    edited January 2014
    I took prenatals for roughly 2-3 months before becoming pregnant with our little girl. I didn't experience MS until about 8-10 weeks. It continued a few weeks into my 2nd tri. I still occasionally get sick mostly from the drainage from my cold, or the motion from sex/smell of sperm.

Edt: added gender
  • Options
    JLyn821JLyn821 member
    edited January 2014
    Started taking prenatals 4 months before TTC.  TTC for 22 months before BFP.  All day m/s (nausea - only threw up 3 times) from weeks 7-15-ish.  Pregnant with a boy.  My mom only ever had occasional nausea while pg with my brother and me.
    Daisypath - RkZ5
    AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers
  • Options
    Team Green here, so can't comment on the sex correlation. I took folic acid for three months before I got pregnant, was terribly nauseous until week 13, and only started taking prenatals after that.
  • Options
    emanresu14emanresu14 member
    edited January 2014
    I was sick enough to puke until 15 weeks or so and I took prenatals for 2 years until I got my positive.

Edit: I'm having a girl.
  • Options
    I took prenatal vitamins for almost 3 years trying to get pregnant. Had major infertility treatments, I'm pregnant with boy/girl twins and I was crazy sick for 2ish months. I was also taking shots of additional hormones for the first 10 weeks of pregnancy... So there is that.

imageimageimage
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I have had two different PG's so I could not really reply to your poll.  Both times I started PNV before getting PG.  With my first PG (a boy) I had no morning sickness at all.  Second PG (a girl) I was really nauseous all day every day from weeks 6 - 11.  Never threw up but had to eat constantly to keep from feeling really ill.

• Options
    my mom had a boy and a girl and wasn't sick with either pregnancy other than a tiny bit of swirly feeling at the very beginning.  i don't know details about her vitamin usage.

i was pregnant with a boy last time and am now pregnant with a girl.  i took prenatals for a few months before i got pregnant with my son, and only just immediately before i became pregnant with my daughter this time.  i have had basically no morning sickness with either kid.
  • Options
    Took prenatals during the IVF process (~2 months prior to my BFP).  Had morning sickness weeks 6-12 (lots of nausea and food aversion but no vomiting).  I am having a girl.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"