Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

baby learning to sit

2»

Re: baby learning to sit

• Options
    redhead610redhead610 member
    edited December 2013

huh, I'm late to this and am not going to read all the posts but I let my kids sit on their own even when they are learning.  I am not a hoverer.  To the OP, I guess he COULD do more than a bonk, like a concussion, but I think it's not likely if you've got carpet or have padded it some with a blanket of some such.  Every one of my kids toppled over without me sitting right there.  I only read a couple responses but it seemed some mamas were telling you you should have laid him down and not left him to sit on his own AT ALL.  I can't imagine hovering over my baby that much.  Babies are tough.  I would keep letting him practice without you right on top of him.  I usually sit nearby or on the couch or am off doing dishes or laundry and I figure (correctly I might add) that if baby topples I'll find him on his back or belly still playing.  Sometimes there are tears but you know, sometimes there are tears even without a fall.  Some kisses and a snuggle and they are ready to continue exploring.

NO. It is NOT safe to just let your baby fall and hit his or her head. Yes, concussions are possible. Unless you have some 6 inch tall plush carpet they can hit their head fairly hard. You cannot leave your baby, who is still learning to sit, to go do dishes! Will they sometimes just kind of roll over and not hit their head? Sure, but othertimes they won't. This is not hovering or helicoptering. This is called parenting and creating a safe environment for your child. Will they fall at some point in their childhood? Sure. But between 3-6 months old (this board), if you are out of arms reach, your baby should be laying down or strapped into a bouncy seat, swing, etc.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers 
  • Options
    To each their own.  I disagree with you.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Options

You guys are mean. Don't sit and bash someone. She just said she worded it wrong. Back off.
    Tara Leanne, my daughter is in the process of sitting up too. I'll sit there for about 45 minutes while she plays while sitting up. I just put a ton of pillows next to her and behind her. She hasn't fallen over though yet so *knock on wood*. And that was a perfectly good question. I know it seems easier to ask these moms here, but most of the time if you're a FTM, they'll just criticize every question and answer. Better off getting on babycenter.com or I read what to expect in the first year! Merry Christmas!!

Thank you- yes, I know, some people really take things too far. I do not leave my baby to sit there by himself while I walk away, I'm always right there.  Funny how all of the people I asked in person, after I explained to them what happens (which is always easier in person than on an internet forum) they all laughed at me and told me to get over it before he learns to crawl, pull himself up and walk. Oh well, let them think what they want! Thanks and Merry Christmas too :) 

I use to like coming here to ask questions and read how nice ppl are but lately, they're just downright mean.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

huh, I'm late to this and am not going to read all the posts but I let my kids sit on their own even when they are learning.  I am not a hoverer.  To the OP, I guess he COULD do more than a bonk, like a concussion, but I think it's not likely if you've got carpet or have padded it some with a blanket of some such.  Every one of my kids toppled over without me sitting right there.  I only read a couple responses but it seemed some mamas were telling you you should have laid him down and not left him to sit on his own AT ALL.  I can't imagine hovering over my baby that much.  Babies are tough.  I would keep letting him practice without you right on top of him.  I usually sit nearby or on the couch or am off doing dishes or laundry and I figure (correctly I might add) that if baby topples I'll find him on his back or belly still playing.  Sometimes there are tears but you know, sometimes there are tears even without a fall.  Some kisses and a snuggle and they are ready to continue exploring.

You aren't the sharpest tool in the shed are you? %-(
  • Options
    diana.filipidiana.filipi member
    edited December 2013
    Actually I do pretty well and am reasonably intelligent.  I am constantly around mamas and kids and I think it's way overboard the whole don't ever leave your learning-to-sit baby sitting.  To each their own.  My kids are also very independent and I attribute a lot of that to allowing them space and freedom (though with safety) to explore and learn. 

At this point, with 3 kiddos under 4 I am often doing chores or playing with one while the other 2 are doing their own things.  That includes the baby.  He's a crawler now but he still topples over.  He topples over and crawls off to play with another toy. 
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Options
    Why not put pillows ALL around so if he does fall and you're too slow, the pillows are there. Or how about a bumbo thing that buckles in?
  • Options
    petey1106 said:

I'm so late to this but @primrosemama

;)

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

• Options
    Dude. Watch your kid. You got your answers. Don't leave him unassisted until he can do it without falling over. JFC. I get it. Babies will fall. Also, "the just you wait" is being busted out. That's laughable. I never allowed my kid to sit unassisted until she actually could do it. No you "can't sit with him forever" but lay him down to get your water or pee. Yes, he could seriously injure himself falling like that. Gravity + hard surface + skull can always result in a grave injury. This is a case of common sense not being common. Use your brain!

I'm already doing what you suggested above in bold but thankyouverymuch for your most helpful advice. I remember you, you love dishing out crap advice like this which I presume is with the intention to make other mothers who aren't as perfect as yourself feel bad about themselves but sorry you won't get that from me. You do however remind me that this forum isn't the place to ask questions. I'm better off asking someone in my real life who doesn't skew things Waaaay out of proportion because I didn't word my original question right. You people just looooove to read way too much into things.  Thanks for the reminder though!

You have to remember that we only know what you tell us. We have to make assumptions based off your own words, when you don't give all the information. You've been around here long enough to know how TB works, and how people will react. Sorry people can't read your mind.
    This. 

And to answer your question the way I was going to.... 

Yes. 

That's your answer. Period. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Dude. Watch your kid. You got your answers. Don't leave him unassisted until he can do it without falling over. JFC. I get it. Babies will fall. Also, "the just you wait" is being busted out. That's laughable. I never allowed my kid to sit unassisted until she actually could do it. No you "can't sit with him forever" but lay him down to get your water or pee. Yes, he could seriously injure himself falling like that. Gravity + hard surface + skull can always result in a grave injury. This is a case of common sense not being common. Use your brain!

I'm already doing what you suggested above in bold but thankyouverymuch for your most helpful advice. I remember you, you love dishing out crap advice like this which I presume is with the intention to make other mothers who aren't as perfect as yourself feel bad about themselves but sorry you won't get that from me. You do however remind me that this forum isn't the place to ask questions. I'm better off asking someone in my real life who doesn't skew things Waaaay out of proportion because I didn't word my original question right. You people just looooove to read way too much into things.  Thanks for the reminder though!

i doubt she is out trying to make other mothers feel bad, she just calls out assholes when she sees them. Perhaps you worded it wrong (I hope) but you can certainly see why anyone would call you out for your post. I am glad you watch your baby, now learn to be faster or stop sitting that poor kid up until they are ready.
  • Options
    If I remember correctly, @primrosemama got best advice giver from A13.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"