1st Trimester

Safe brands of soap/body wash/lotion??

Hi all,

I'm reading a lot about how many ingredients in soaps, lotions, gave washes, etc are not good to use if pregnant but I haven't found any lists of specific brands that ARE safe to use and il trying to avoid standing in the toiletries aisle for 45 minutes reading labels :) Anyone have any specific brands they use that they know are safe?

Thanks!

Re: Safe brands of soap/body wash/lotion??

• The only thing I would possibly avoid would be products with salycic acid, other than that I wouldn't worry.

• jrpg884 said:

Hi all,

I'm reading a lot about how many ingredients in soaps, lotions, gave washes, etc are not good to use if pregnant but I haven't found any lists of specific brands that ARE safe to use and il trying to avoid standing in the toiletries aisle for 45 minutes reading labels :) Anyone have any specific brands they use that they know are safe?

Thanks!

You haven't found a list because there isn't reason to make one...it's safe to shower and moisturize with normal stuff while pregnant.

Vet your sources. Idiots abound and will tell you that all sorts of things are "unsafe" while pregnant.
    J13 May Siggy Challenge: People lacking in common sense raise my blood pressure.

imageimage
    DD 8/11 | DS1 7/13 | DS2 7/13
  • Loading the player...
  • Oh goodness. Where were you reading that fiction? Just use your regular stuff, it's fine.
  • Use whatever you like.

If body washes, deoderants and lotions were so dangerous to pregnant women, you'd have to sign liability waivers to buy them.

"Your truth is different from my truth, and we're both right."

TTC since March 2013. BFP 4/13/13, blighted ovum discovered 6/6/13, m/c 6/8/13.

BFP 11/10/13, EDD 7/25/13 - stick little owlet!

BabyFruit Ticker

View Full Size Image

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• I accidentally clicked on this... Then I read the subject line before it could go through and I was all like, "NOOOOOOoooooooooo!"
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • tealowl said:

I actually have been using extra night cream, because I want my baby to come out really pretty and with no wrinkles.

this reminds me of something I read once of someone trying to get plastic surgery (it was either before she conceived or while she was pregnant) so that her baby wouldn't come out with her features, specifically her nose. I didn't know plastic surgery changed up your genes too

It's a BOY

• OP, your mom (assuming), my mom, and probably a large majority of other ladies mothers on here and everywhere used regular soaps, face washes and deodorant for years and years and years. Like GM said, as long as you don't drink it you should be in the clear

It's a BOY

• Shima42Shima42 member
    edited December 2013
    OP, I sympathize.  I've read that lots of stuff from crappy shampoos can enter your body through your skin while you bathe.  There has been paraben found in breast cancer tissue (paraben is a common ingredient in deodorant and other hygiene products).  It is perfectly reasonable for you to wish to use safer products.  I am trying to use only organic products on my skin.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Shima42 said:

OP, I sympathize.  I've read that lots of stuff from crappy shampoos can enter your body through your skin while you bathe.  There has been paraben found in breast cancer tissue (paraben is a common ingredient in deodorant and other hygiene products).  It is perfectly reasonable for you to wish to use safer products.  I am trying to use only organic products on my skin

Good grief. You can read things all over the place, that doesn't make them true.
  • You can pry the sudsy scented sulfate extravaganzas I use as body wash out of my cold dead hands!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11!!111one

imageimageimage
    H e n r y  May 21, 2014

• Everything is safe - you're fine to continue using the products you always have. They are not going to have any negative effect on you or your baby.

It's just that some people *prefer* to switch to other brands, and did so even before pregnancy - this is where I'm at. :) That's why I responded to the crunchy post, since about a year ago I switched everything from shampoo to moisturizer to makeup. My rule of thumb was that I didn't want to use anything with parabens, triclosan, phthalates, sulfates, or any petrochemicals - I wasn't sure what was causing me irritation, so on advice of my dermatologist, cut them all out. 

For the most part, I pay a lot less for stuff now, especially shampoo and conditioner because I'm using baking soda and organic apple cider vinegar. I wash my face with honey, take my eye makeup off with jojoba oil, moisturizer with argan oil, etc, etc. I even found an amazing "natural" makeup brand on Etsy that is waaaay cheaper than what I was paying for the premium "natural" brands at Sephora. It's just based on what you prefer and I have come to prefer using the stuff that happens to be free of the products that were irritating my skin. 

I use "Natural" and "organic" very warily and put them in quotation marks since a lot of products are marketed as such and it means nothing - that's another thing to keep in mind. 
    Southern California
    Together for six years, married for five
    BFP 12/06/13 - EDD 8/11/14 
    BABY BOY born 8/14/14!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • JKBMA2014 said:

I actually have been using extra night cream, because I want my baby to come out really pretty and with no wrinkles.

this reminds me of something I read once of someone trying to get plastic surgery (it was either before she conceived or while she was pregnant) so that her baby wouldn't come out with her features, specifically her nose. I didn't know plastic surgery changed up your genes too

No fuckin way. Please tell me it was a joke. Please?
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Everything is safe - you're fine to continue using the products you always have. They are not going to have any negative effect on you or your baby.

It's just that some people *prefer* to switch to other brands, and did so even before pregnancy - this is where I'm at. :) That's why I responded to the crunchy post, since about a year ago I switched everything from shampoo to moisturizer to makeup. My rule of thumb was that I didn't want to use anything with parabens, triclosan, phthalates, sulfates, or any petrochemicals - I wasn't sure what was causing me irritation, so on advice of my dermatologist, cut them all out. 

For the most part, I pay a lot less for stuff now, especially shampoo and conditioner because I'm using baking soda and organic apple cider vinegar. I wash my face with honey, take my eye makeup off with jojoba oil, moisturizer with argan oil, etc, etc. I even found an amazing "natural" makeup brand on Etsy that is waaaay cheaper than what I was paying for the premium "natural" brands at Sephora. It's just based on what you prefer and I have come to prefer using the stuff that happens to be free of the products that were irritating my skin. 

I use "Natural" and "organic" very warily and put them in quotation marks since a lot of products are marketed as such and it means nothing - that's another thing to keep in mind. 
    Aside from my undying love of Dove/Olay/Caress body washes, I'm totally with you on the rest of the crunchy stuff. I see no reason to pay through the nose for a fancy face lotion that's all "Totes mcgotes natural!!!!!" with a bunch of extracts when I can just buy the "fancy" extracts directly (either straight up or in a blend). The only time I feel a "regular" product is worth it is if it has glycolic acid or retinol. I use jojoba for makeup removal & diluted tea tree for zits & occasional dermatitis. I've used raw shea, argan, apricot kernel, almond & jojoba for all of my body & face moisturizing needs for years now. I absolutely love it.

imageimageimage
    H e n r y  May 21, 2014

• Meery82 said:
    JKBMA2014 said:

Yes fuckin way. Yes yes yes! It was so long ago and I can't remember if it was a read or on the tv. But this lady thought if she got plastic surgery, her kid would have her new features. I shit you not.

It's a BOY

• JKBMA2014 said:
    Meery82 said:
    JKBMA2014 said:

Yes fuckin way. Yes yes yes! It was so long ago and I can't remember if it was a read or on the tv. But this lady thought if she got plastic surgery, her kid would have her new features. I shit you not.

Just another reason why some people shouldn't be allowed to reproduce. 8-}
  • My doctor told me to avoid Triclosan even when we were TTCing
    BFP 11/24/2012  MMC 1/21/2013 - BFP 3/29/2013  MC 4/8/2013 - BFP 4/25/2013 MC 5/6/2013 - 5/17/2013 Diagnosed with LPD - BFP 8/24/13  MC 9/6/2013
    BFP: 12/19/13  - Beta 1@11dpo: 26.8 - Beta 6@23dpo: 3,672
    Our Rainbow Son Born August 26, 2014
    Lilypie - (nueR)
    All ALers welcome!
  • What about laundry soap?!?!?! You could get really hot in your clothes thus opening you're pores to soak up all the artificial scents! ZOMG

imageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker

• Dish soap too!!!! WE EAT OFF OF THAT!!!!!!!11111!1!1!1!1!1!11!ZOMG11

• What about laundry soap?!?!?! You could get really hot in your clothes thus opening you're pores to soak up all the artificial scents! ZOMG

I use Honest Company stuff for the laundry. It's good shit.
  • Dish soap too!!!! WE EAT OFF OF THAT!!!!!!!11111!1!1!1!1!1!11!ZOMG11
    Honest Company and Seventh Generation
  • ManateearmzManateearmz member
    edited January 2014
    @meery82 That is good shit (seventh generation). I can't forgive the Honest Company for the war on Honest Toddler. ;)

I was totally joking, BTW.

Edited to add words.

• joules235 said:
    https://www.ewg.org/
    https://www.ewg.org/skindeep/

This website has a database of different bath products, cleaning products etc and rates their toxicity.

I keep it super simple. Castille soap for washing body and hair, coconut oil for moisturizing, apple cider vinegar for conditioner and I make lip balm and mascara. That's pretty much all I use.
    :::Lurking from BOTB:::

I second this. For me, I try to be as natural as possible and bring in as few chemicals to my home as possible, it's just my preference.

The EWG website rates different products on a scale of 0-10 - 0 having the fewest chemicals the cause known issues and 10 having the most. It also rates how much information is known about each chemical based on the research they have done.

All of my skin and hair products come from an Australian line called Enkido. It's awesome and very basic, but gets the job done. I also use a "clean" makeup line, use basic bar soaps versus antibacterial (which are in the process of being banned by the FDA anyways), non-aluminum deodorant and I make my own cleaning products...it's just the way I prefer to do things.

Check out the site, it's informative at least!
    TTGP December Siggy Challenge: Favorite Holiday Movie:
    ~Santa Claus is Coming to Town~

TTC #1: July 2014
    Me: 31  DH: 29
    DX (me): Inborn error of metabolism - protein restriction, metabolic formula & weekly blood tests
    DNA Results (7/1): DH is NOT a carrier for my genetic disorder! 
    7/3: Metabolic clinic gave the green light to TTC - holy crap!
  • Just use your normal stuff it's fine

• @meery82 That is good shit (seventh generation). I can't forgive the Honest Company for the war on Honest Toddler. ;)

I was totally joking, BTW.

Edited to add words.

Get out of my head. I love Honest Toddler.

Honest Toddler knows my lyfe.

• Sweet Jesus, you'll be fine. Bathe as you normally would.
  • @meery82 That is good shit (seventh generation). I can't forgive the Honest Company for the war on Honest Toddler. ;) I was totally joking, BTW. Edited to add words.

I've never read it, but I do remember hearing about what the Honest Company pulled on them. It does sound pretty asswipe-ish.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"