Secondary IF

New! Intro and question.

Hi Ladies,

I'm new and thought I'd introduce myself. I'm not 100% sure that this board is where I belong as I haven't been TTC for 12+ months, but the months are starting to add up and I definitely feel like there's something going on.

Anyways, I'm a 29 year old wife and mother of an amazing 2 1/2 year old girl named Maddie. I'm Canadian and am from the Greater Toronto Area, and I love the Toronto Blue Jays. I'm married to my high school crush (although he didn't know I existed back then), and we've got a very silly boxer named Nixon.

After having Maddie I had an IUD which was removed last Spring and we've been TTC since last summer. Before having my sweet girl my cycles were like clockwork...27 days each month. Since having the IUD removed, they've been all over the place..anywhere from 26-36 days (although mostly between 26 and 28). I don't know if the IUD is the cause of my cycle irregularities, but I really think that it's got at least something to do with it. I'm terrified that the IUD caused some problem with my fertility.

My question to you is: How long did you wait while TTC with #2 before you went to visit your doctor?  And have any of you had these same concerns post IUD?

I tried searching the forums for conversations that matched these questions (didn't want to bother anyone if they've already been answered a hundred times) but I didn't find anything specific to TTC for #2.

Thanks in advance!

Re: New! Intro and question.

• Hello! The general rule of thumb is 1 year of active, well-timed, TTC before starting up dialog with your OB. Of course if you dealt with primary infertility then I imagine a year of ttc isn't necessary. I don't have personal experience with an IUD, but I know coming off of any BC your cycles can take awhile to regulate. Are you temping/charting, using opks, etc to confirm ovulation?

Two DDs 10/08 and 08/10, no primary IF
    TTC #3 since 10/2011 - dx unexplained/weak ovulation
     3 BFN clomid + TI cycles, 5 BFN clomid/gonal f IUIs, 1 mmc IUI
    2/19/2014 IVF #1 Unexpected low E2 (oversuppressed) -> increased to max doses = 3 or 4 follicles, converting to IUI
    BFFP Saw 1 beautiful heartbeat at 6w6d, follow up u/s at 9w showed mmc. Eff this.
    NTNP 5/2014-9/2014, OPKs and TI 10/2014 - 1/2015. 
    RPL testing all normal, AFC, AMH, and FSH all normal. 
    IVF 1.2 1/22/2014 natural cycle start, AFC 28, 300 gonal f/150menopur. 
    ER 2/3/15 14R 8M 3F w/ICSI Day 5 transfer on 2/8/15 of one "Grade A+" blast and have TWO frosties! 

• Since you don't have a history of IF, you probably don't need to worry just yet.  And 26-36 days isn't actually that big of a range, so you're in okay shape there.  Are you charting at all?  If not, I highly recommend joining fertility friend dot com and reading Taking Charge of Your Fertility (you can probably get in at the library of find it on amazon for about $15).  If you haven't had any pain since removing the IUD, it's probably not the problem. 

But, if you want to go to the Dr about ttc, you should.  It's an emotional process no matter what stage you're in.  And since you're close to 30, they will probably be willing to work with you if it's been longer than 6 mos. 

But, like I said already, charting would be the first thing I would do in your shoes.  Good luck!

Happily Mrs. C 
    image  image

image Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
    start ttc #1 in Jan 2009
    dx PCOS in May 2010, begin metformin
    Two failed clomid cycles (made lining too thin)
    Started acupuncture while saving for IVF in Sept 2011
    Add herbal infusions to the mix in Dec 2011
    Hoping holistic approach works!!!

BFP on April 2012 at 11dpo
    Meepy Man born on Jan 2013 - Hip Hip Hurray!

Ready to start ttc #2 April 2013, but plan to be an extended BF'er
    Back on metformin Aug 2013
    Restart herbal infusions Sept 2013 - currently drinking nettle, oatstraw, and red raspberry leaf
    DS weaned in April 2014
    Taking a break from herbs and just riding the healthy train.  
    Planning medicated cycle end of summer.  FX I get KU before then!!!
  • Loading the player...
  • No advice on IUDs, but wanted to Welcome you and wish you luck! 

• I agree with all PPs but will add: if you can't shake the gut "feeling" something is off then I wouldn't hesitate to put a call in to the doctor in the next cycle or 2. Just phrase it that you want a pre-conception checkup done and voice your concerns.

If I've learned anything from all this is that to listen to my body and be my own advocate!

Welcome and good luck!

Me: 27 DH: 33
    Married 6 years
    Conceived DS after 4 years of MFI

TTC # 2 (not trying,not preventing ever)
    May 2013 - August 2013 Timed Intercourse = BFN
    September 2013 Timed Intercourse, Weekly Acupuncture, Herbs=BFN
    October 2013 Timed Intercourse, Weekly Acupuncture, Herbs, and "warming foods" = BFP
    Beta #1 19, Beta #2 18 Progesterone 4.6 Miscarried 11/9/13
    November 2013 - Benched, waiting for first post-loss AF.
    No longer benched per New RE/OB!
    Jan. 15 2014 - BFP. HCG 3900 - Ectopic :( 
    Jan. 16 2014 Left tube removed and D&C
    March 2, 2014 First AF

• Welcome and good luck!

BFP #1 12.24.07 - DD born @ 39w1d on 08.26.08
    BFP #2 08.04.11 - DD born still @ 37w3d on 03.25.12

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TTC #3 since May 2012

BFP #3 12.29.12 - CP @ 4w2d on 01.02.13
    BFP #4 10.17.13 - CP @ 4w2d on 10.23.13

BFP #5 04.06.14 - MMC 05.07.14

No longer trying to conceive.

image    http://oi40.tinypic.com/15czrid.jpg     image

• Thanks for the welcoming messages and the tips, ladies.

To answer your questions, I have been charting. I started charting in June which was the 36 day cycle and have continued ever since. Actually, I had just started charting mid-way through my cycle when I got PG with Maddie, so I've been obsessively comparing each month back to that one. Needless to say....not helping. For the first month or two of charting I wasn't taking it too seriously so the times were always a little off. It's only been in the last 3 cycles that I've been very careful about temping at the same time every day. However, my chart is still very spiky. Not sure what that's about.

I also did start using OPKs in Oct. I got a strong positive this month, and very near a positive in November (I was out of town on what I think was O day and I forgot to take my OPKs with me), and in October they got close but I never got a real positive. Since Sept, I seem to be Oing alternately on day 16 and 14. DOn't know what that's about either.

KC1212 - I like your suggestion of booking an appointment as a pre-conception check up. I feel like if I went in and just said that I'm concerned about my fertility I might just get a bit of an eye roll. However, phrasing it like you suggested and just discussing my concerns sounds like a better way to get my doc to listen seriously.
  • Welcome! I'm new here, too!

Good luck!

Married 12.9.06

DD born 1.6.11

TTC #2 since 7.12

• Welcome to the group! 
    b/w=FSH 15.6, AMH 0.4 surprise natural BFP on 3/12/11
    DS born via unplanned C-section at 40w6d

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"