Babies: 6 - 9 Months

6 1/2 month old not rolling over.... should i be worried?

Should I be worried? My baby girl is 6 1/2 months old and is not rolling over. She is just so content on her back. She will roll to the side, but not from back to stomach. She holds her head up good, good with tummy time, and can sit up for up to 15 seconds on her own.  Both my boys were crawling by this point. She has her 6 month  check up in a few weeks but thought I would get some input :)

Re: 6 1/2 month old not rolling over.... should i be worried?

• Both my sons aren't/weren't big rollers. Ds2 has barely rolled. He hates tummy time and was totally content on his back. He sits up now and it very close to crawling. He also has good leg strength. I'm not worry about it. Unless you think there is something else going on, like low tone or something physical, I wouldn't worry too much. Just mention to pedi and see what he/she says. My doc wasn't concerned after seeing him.
  • My son is 7months old and hasn't rolled either way, I read it isn't a "milestone" and some babies never do. My ped said my son is probably lazy, lol! To me it's like he has no need. He can sit up unassisted like no ones business though!
  • Loading the player...
  • Mine will be 7 months on the 5th and has rolled belly to back only a couple times and never back to belly but he can sit up so I know he has the core strength.  I asked the pedi about it and she agreed he likely lacks motivation and that at this point, we're just looking for them to be learning new things that are similar and any action they take to get them toward something is in the same category i.e. rolling, scooting, crawling, sitting up with reaching etc.
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• My LO has no interest in rolling either.  He can sit up ok, so that makes me feel better about it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Collin 7.26.09   Sarah 6.18.11   Sammy 5.30.13
  • My LO rolled at 7 months. She never showed any interest in rolling and one day just did it and now it's nonstop. I know it's hard not to worry but try not to. She will roll when she's ready:-)
  • I was wondering the same thing! 6.5 month old and no rolling either.
  • Our little guy is 9 months, 7.5 months adjusted (he was a preemie) and we are in a similar situation....he will roll onto his side, and almost rolls over, but just doesn't seem to care.  I think he could do it, but he doesn't really like being on his tummy.  He sits up all the time, pretty much unassisted, and has started showing an interest in trying to crawl (and he loves when we hold him by the arms and help him stand up!).  We went to the Pedi for our 9 month appointment and she didn't seem worried....she said he looks good in all other areas (growth, eating, etc) so it's probably not something physically wrong, more just him not caring that much, lol.  So we're going to keep practicing, and not worry about it for now.  
  • My LO is 8 months today, but didn't roll over from back to tummy until 6 months.  She didn't roll over from tummy to back until I figured out how to show her how.  I watched a video of my coworker's baby (who is 4 months younger) and realized he put his arms forward.  I went home that night, pulled her arms forward, and voila! she did it!  Since then she goes both ways and acts like it is no big deal.  She still is not sitting up, but has reached her social milestones with ease.  Guide your baby and just make sure your pedi is fine with your LO's development.

Lilypie - (eoyh)

• Rhys didn't roll until after 6 months. The pediatrician wasn't worried and said that he just had no incentive to roll... like your baby, he was perfectly happy lying on his back. He eventually did start rolling and is doing just fine. Talk to your pediatrician about it, but it's probably fine. Every baby is different!
    Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • DD is 6 months and while she has rolled from tummy to back- she's done it 5 times maybe and has never done from back to tummy.  She hates tummy time- she does sit up for a few minutes at a time but this just started.  I'd just check with your pedi but all babies go at their own pace. 

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

• My 6 month baby is the same.. She won't roll over lol she does stay sitting down for a longer period of time :) there's nothing you should worry about .
  • My 7 mo only rolls from back to tummy when we're not looking and in her crib. At least I know she can roll but dang I'd like to witness it.

• Once I was told by a pedri that babies are of two kind one physically active and the other mentally active so if the baby is snatching food or any thing that is good sign ,it means baby is mentally active and rolling and sitting the baby will do sooner or later.
  • Our little guy is 9 months, 7.5 months adjusted (he was a preemie) and we are in a similar situation....he will roll onto his side, and almost rolls over, but just doesn't seem to care.  I think he could do it, but he doesn't really like being on his tummy.  He sits up all the time, pretty much unassisted, and has started showing an interest in trying to crawl (and he loves when we hold him by the arms and help him stand up!).  We went to the Pedi for our 9 month appointment and she didn't seem worried....she said he looks good in all other areas (growth, eating, etc) so it's probably not something physically wrong, more just him not caring that much, lol.  So we're going to keep practicing, and not worry about it for now.  

Sounds like my DD! She's a little younger, and we typical don't adjust her anymore, but your description sounds VERY familiar!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"