Special Needs
Options

Any ideaa for sensory?

Ladies, just wondering what kind of things you so at home to help with sensory issues? Thanks!

Re: Any ideaa for sensory?

• Options
    typesettypeset member
    edited December 2013
    What kind of sensory issues? 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    11/10/10 The Kid
  • Options
    Yeah, a lot depends on what your LO needs.  There's a good book called "The Out of Sync Child Has Fun" that has lots of ideas for activities, and they're broken out by type of activity. 

My DD is tactile avoiding but movement-seeking, so jumping, swinging, stomping, riding her bike are all good organizing activities for her.  She likes the hula hoop, and we're working on jumping jacks and jumping rope.  Spinning is something she enjoys, but we usually have to do some heavy work to balance it out.  Sometimes I just make her help me with things like carrying grocery bags and putting away laundry.  We have a little playground right by our house, and it has a rope ladder, climbing wall, swings, and some big slides, so we go there if we need different activities.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have a seeker and an avoider so what works for one does not necessarily work for the other. You'll have to be more specific with your kiddos issues.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My sons speech therapist has what she calls a sensory box and it's like a Tupperware box with a lid and in it she put beans, squishy toys, ribbons, and the like. My son loved to feel everything even though I thought he was kind of averse to texture. We made a similar one at home and he loves it... I got a bunch of stuff from target in the party section (bouncy balls, squishy bugs, etc.) and put beans, noodles, rice in it... He loves it! He even likes to put his feet in it. Hope this maybe helps?!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

Depends on what your child is seeking or avoiding. I got really creative with my son, who is a seeker of proprioception and an avoider of vestibular. We did a blow up pool with plastic balls for ball pit (target). sensory box with rice and little scoops, toy cars etc, a bean bin (large bucket big enough for him to climb in and fill with beans), sensory box full of feathers, cotton balls, etc, pounding toy (target), trampoline, push spot on wall, bean bag for crashing, box full of different kinds of whistles, vibrating teether or toothbrush, lotion massages, weighted belt, blanket, etc. brush for brushing with joint compressions (OT needs to instruct you on this), shaving cream for textural exploration. These are some things that I did, you can be creative. Hope this helps.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"