November 2013 Moms
Options

Tracking Feedings/Diapers

My LO is 2.5w old and I have been keeping track of everytime I change and feed him. Now that I know I change him a hundred times a day and is past his birthweight, I'm questioning why I should continue. I feed him when he shows signs and stop when he repeatedly spits out my nipple or falls asleep (after much coaxing to eat more).
Are you still keeping track? Is there a reason to keep doing it I'm missing?

Re: Tracking Feedings/Diapers

• Options
    I have never tracked anything with any of my kids. 

If you're mindful enough of their cues, and can remember what has become their normal (which, I admit, is a moving target), you'll be fine.  

Some people find tracking a useful tool, I've never had a need.
    Prudence
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Otis
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Hank 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I write down every feeding and how many diapers changed per day, also write down when I give him his medicine (zantac for acid reflux, nystatin for thrush, biogaia for digestion issues)   I wrote down everything for DD for a full year.  I like looking back and seeing when she slept, when she ate, what solids she tried and when, etc...
    January siggy challenge: winter weather fails

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I wrote everything down for the first four weeks or so, now I have a timer that I use to keep track of how long it's been since the last diaper/feeding. I tend to obsess about things so tracking everything isn't good for me. If LO was sick or acting differently though I'd definitely track until things were back to normal.
    BFP #1 1.2.12 EDD 9.15.12 :: mmc 2.22.12. / d&c 2.23.12 :: 2nd d&c 3.16.12

"there is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world"

BFP #2 2.27.13 EDD 11.8.13 Grow, baby, grow!

My Ovulation Chart

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Anniversary

image imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic image

~ all ALers welcome ~

• Options
    I track the feedings. It's mostly so I can remember how long he ate and on which side I nursed. LO is 6 weeks today, for the first couple of weeks I tracked diapers too but have stopped now.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

photo ebefb0eaa35edfa3f52813f152b6e390_zpsaa90560f.jpg

• Options
    DS was 7 weeks yesterday and I'm still tracking. I find it helpful to see his patterns. If you don't think it's useful there's no need to continue. You can always start tracking again if you decide there's a need.
  • Options
    I never tracked. I can't tell you the exact number of things, but I always went by instinct and its worked for me.

• Options
    I just track our feedings. What time and what side. It helps me to remember and to keep same really.
  • Options
    I have an app that I track with, my LO is 6 weeks and I still use it
  • Options
    I tracked diapers for the first week or two to make sure he was having enough pees and poops and I tracked feedings in my phone up until last week (7 weeks old). I now just put a hairtie on my wrist and switch it to remember which side to start with next time.
  • Options
    I still track but I don't have a mind for details...totally personal preference.
  • Options
    I only tracked for the first two weeks. However, once I go back to work and DH is caring for her during the day, he keeps a log for me (like daycare) which helps me know how much I need to pump.
    IVF, acupuncture, meditation and a miracle. 

Our sweet Valentine's Day FET.

• Options
    My LO is 5 weeks today and I track it with the Babyroo app on my iPhone. I keep track of feedings (I forget constantly last time she ate), diapers (#1 or #2), her pediatrician asks about these two things at visits. I also keep track of what time I pump, when I give her a bottle, etc. It helps me to be able to see if instead of trying to remember since some days I can barely remember my name! :-)
  • Options
    Thanks for the input ladies. I'm thinking I'll keep it up a little longer since I'm going to start pumping.
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    Louie is 5 weeks and I just track how many diapers he has everyday, it makes me feel better that I know he is eating enough, he is ebf.
  • Options
    Wow. We tracked for the first week, but DD cluster feeds, and it was just getting annoying to track every time she ate! Once she was obviously having enough wet/poopy diapers, it seemed silly to continue to track.
  • Options
    DS is right weeks and we still track. We FF so it's helpful to know when his last bottle was and how much he's getting each day. Especially at night when DH takes some feedings and I take some, it's super helpful. We probably don't need to track wet diapers, but it's also helpful to know when his last dirty diaper was. Earlier this week he was really fussy and we realized when we looked at the tracker that he hadn't pooped in over 24 hours (really long for him) so we figured that's what it was. Thankfully he worked it out himself ;-) 
    Mr. & Mrs. B, Est. 10.23.2009
    m/c: 9/06/12
    LTB: 10/23/13
    Baby B 2.0 EDD: 3/15/16

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    juliane2004juliane2004 member
    edited December 2013
    Yup, we do. Our son is 9 weeks tomorrow and we keep track still. But.... he was in the NICU for 27 days, on a feeding tube for poor feeding for 2.5 weeks, and now projectiles a lot, resulting in poor weight gain, so it's actually lucky we kept tracking it so we can refer to it if necessary.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    I tracked after she had lost too much weight early, but once we were cleared for weight gain and her next appt isn't until her 2 month appt, I quit tracking and just mentally keep track of her diapers and feedings - she eats everytime she wakes end is growing well. If we have any challenges or reason for concern, I would track again to help with diagnosis, but otherwise, just rely on her cues. I do wake to feed during the day if I need to.
  • Options
    I keep track so I could see her sleep cycles, and diaper output.

During the daytime and cluster feeds, I dont track.
    photo notebook.jpg 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I tracked until the jaundice went away. After that, I felt safe in letting him cue me as to when he needed to eat and as long as there's one poop every 24 hours or so, I'm pretty laid back about it all.

photo bannernew_zpsfb1f0d0b.jpg

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Every time I read a new post, I change my mind about whether to track or not. Thanks, though- I have some new thoughts to consider.
  • Options
    We figure it will come in useful if we ever need to call the doctor. 
    With DS1, our paediatrician never asked anything other than whether he was having a regular output, so all the tracking I did wasn't necessary -- that's what's developed our approach this time.
    photo bannernew_zpsfb1f0d0b.jpg

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"