Cloth Diapering

Preschool Cloth?

edited December 2013 in Cloth Diapering
Sorry to be such a post whore this morning.

My (almost) 5 year old has been PTed since he was 2.5 years, but still pees an ocean at night.  He's around 40 lbs.  We've been using Flip Trainers since they're the only thing that fits him.  We've tried double stuffing the inserts that came with the flips, but that was a joke,  Then we used a prefold which was usually absorbent enough, but too bulky and made gaps so he'd leak.  Now we're using a large BB stay dry insert, and while it doesn't seem totally saturated, he's still having leak issues.  For the last 3 morning's he's come into my room at 6 AM with soaked pjs and sheets.  He also leaks through a regular disposable pull up at night.  The only thing we've found to be more successful so far is the heavy duty overnight pull ups, but 1. they're freakin' expensive and 2 they're loaded with chemicals and 3. did i mention they're freakin' expensive?  He doesn't get anything to drink after 7 pm and he pees before going to bed.  He just sleeps so soundly he doesn't wake up to use the bathroom.  Any suggestions?

Re: Preschool Cloth?

• Large fuzzibunz.
    image"Lilypie">imageimage

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • My nephew is only 1.5 but he's pushing 40 lbs.  My SIL had to retire her OS diapers.  She actually bought some Kushies (the ones ordered from Costco... not the ones from Walmart) and she really likes them. 

Other than that, my Blueberry cover is my biggest one... maybe with a couple of hemp prefolds?!?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I don't know anything about the trainers, but what is he drinking before 7 pm? My brother wet the bed for quite a while and I think it was because he drank so much apple juice, which is a diuretic. They also make those bed saver things you lay down on the sheets. It wouldn't keep his pjs dry but at least the chemicals aren't right on him all night and you wouldn't have to change the sheets if you can't find another solution.
  • I don't have any advice on the diapers. But something that I know for sure is the usually when kids pee a lot at night is not because they drink to much, is because they have cold. Usually when is cold they pee more.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Are you handy with a sewing machine?  What about sewing up a large fitted?  Or seeing if you can find one on etsy?
  • edited December 2013
    Thirsties Bummis makes an XL super whisper wrap which is supposed to fit 40+ lbs. It only comes in white, but it's on clearance for $8.29 with free shipping from Sweet Bottoms Baby.

https://www.sweetbottomsbaby.com/Bummis-Super-Whisper-Wrap--Clearance_p_319.html

(edited to correct product name)
  • This sounds soo familiar!  Our daughter was PTed at 2 and all of a sudden at 5 yrs old she started bed wetting.  After pulling my hair out because of having to wash the bedding every night I caved and bought pull-ups (every kind out there including the heavy duty).  But after she was leaking in those I realized I was still having to wash the bedding AND fork out the money for the pull-ups.  And it seemed like that made the problem worse.  We even took her to the doctor to make sure everything was alright.  She was just sleeping soo hard that she wasn't waking up.  The encouragement I can give you is- one day it just completely stopped.  She gets up now in the night and goes potty where she should.  The suggestion I have is- we got disposable bed pads (same section at the store as the pull-ups).  They stick really well to the the top of the fitted sheet.  If she did pee her jammies would have to be changed but the bedding was saved.  Which I also think helped because she was aware of what had happened.  If she didn't pee we could use the pads for several nights before they would start to kind of come apart.  Hope this helps.
  • What I mean is, the body is cold, I remember my mom use to put a warm towel on my belly for me no to wake up all wet. Mm I'm not so sure but you can try using the grovia trainer, it has like an open area in the back for put more absorbency if need it, plus you can put more that one side flex panel to make it big.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Super undies are pricey but have worked well for us. They make big sizes, and DD seems really comfy in them.

Jess & Adam, married 2009, precious Audrey born in 2011. BFP 1/6/13, 6-wk MMC discovered at 9 wks 2/11/13. D&C 2/18/13, second D&C 4/23/13 for retained placenta.
    BFP 8/24/13!! EDD 5/1/14, delivered healthy and sweet Zoey Leanne on 5/5/14 by repeat c-section.
  • Do they make wool covers big enough? That might at least be a little bit less diaper-y than a regular diaper.

If he did wake up at night to go pee, would he be able to get down off the bunk bed easily enough?

• DD1 used GoodNites from about 4-6 years. We bought them at Sam's Club. She started waking up dry (or waking up to pee) when she turned 6. She was 41 lbs at 4 and I think 50 lbs at 6.

DD2 is 37.5 lbs and uses either a Flip trainer with 2 of their inserts or an Alva Big Baby diaper stuffed with a Joey Bunz premium hemp and a Sunbaby XL bamboo insert.
    Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • We are in the same boat with my now-3-year-old. Day trained and majority of naps stays dry but overnight also pees a ton first thing in the morning and soaks through all diapers disposable and cloth options and unfortunately has outgrown all the OS options. We did the flip trainers for awhile too with various inserts but had the same problem with leaking out the legs. We bought a pair of superundies for night about 2 weeks ago and so far no leaks and we stuff an extra hemp as a just in case. I told DH to buy me a 2nd.... They are super bulky but I size up quite a bit on pjs and he's comfortable since he doesn't get all wet. Good luck! I wish there were more options for these older power wetters.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I just wanted to give some encouragement. Hang in there. My almost 7 year old DS still wets the bed. I was a bed wetter, too, all the way until high school.

I agree pull-ups are expensive as all get out. And I hate that we are going to be CDing number 3, yet he's still in pull-ups. It feels wrong on so many levels.

We've discussed getting those super undies. The biggest problem though is his embarrassment. He hates spending the night away from home since he has to wear a pull-up.

We've seen several doctors about it, and they've all suggested the same thing - wake him up and take him potty. I remember my mom doing the same thing for me, and I would fall asleep on the toilet and then still wet the bed even though I fully emptied my bladder around 11pm after going to bed at 7-8. DS still wakes up wet even if we do a middle of the night run for the bathroom. He sleeps very deeply and is completely relaxed, just like his momma.

Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that you're not alone. I'm sorry I don't have any advice, though...
    BabyName Ticker
  • It's the microfiber one but the "flap" comes out and I'm able to put a Joey bunz hemp behind it. We have the xl it think though since when we did his measurements he fell into both categories so we went with the larger size.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I'm in the exact same position. 

I have tried getting him in Kawaii Goodnight heavy wetters (which were absorbent enough but too tight around his legs) and Happy Flute OS AIO (fit a little better but he'll grow out of them soon. Plus they are like diapers.)

Sick of paying for pullups too. I've tried several options but I recently stumbled upon these on Etsy and I ordered 3.

I let DS choose his patterns and I figure I can doublestuff if necessary. Haven't gotten them yet but I hope these will be the ticket. I'm CDing DS2 and DS3 is due in a couple of weeks so I'll be washing a lot anyway. What's 3 more?

A
    imageimageimage

M/c #1 - 10/30/07 - 5w3d, DS1 - born at 36w, M/c#2 - 12/7/09 - 5w, M/c #3 - 1/13/10 - 4w6d, 
    M/c #4 - 3/16/10 - 5w1d, DS2 -  born via VBAC at 40w3d, M/c#5 - 11/5/12 - 7w2d
    BFP #8 - 5/5/13- Looks like a sticky one! DS3 - born via epi-free VBAC at 39w1d

• I have no idea on the diapers since I have trouble keeping my 1 yr old from soaking through her diapers at night. 

I wet the bed as a kid for the longest time. I just slept so deeply I didn't wake up to go.  My parents used to wake me up every night and put me on the potty. I still wet the bed, but I think that helped lessen the frequency. 

You have a baby, right? Does the baby still get up at night? You could try putting your DS on the potty if you're already up with the baby.  Maybe it could teach him to wake up and go potty instead of sleeping all night. It would be a pain, but could be worth a shot.  Good luck!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"