Postpartum Depression
Options

Post partum anxiety?

My DD is 10 weeks old, and I CAN NOT sleep. I either take forever to fall asleep, or when I get up in the middle of the night, I cannot fall back asleep. I just stare at the monitor afraid she is going to wake up. She recently started sleeping through the night, yet I still can't sleep. It's like I can't shut off my mind and then stress about not being able to sleep. I've been having a glass of wine (I'm not breast feeding) at night to help me fall asleep, but i know that isn't my answer. This morning I told my husband about how I can't sleep because I think about stupid stuff like organizing pictures in photo albums and he told me that this could be anxiety (he suffers from it). This got me thinking that perhaps there really is something wrong and this isn't normal new mom behavior. Any thoughts? Who do I even call to discuss this and possibly get medication...my OB? A psychiatrist? Thanks for any thoughts.

Re: Post partum anxiety?

• Options

I went through PPD and PPA after my son was born.  I started with my OB.  She prescribed anti-depressants for me initially.  After getting that under control, my OB/clinic recommended I work with my primary physician on any changes, refills, etc.

It may depend on your clinic, I don't know.  But I don't think it would hurt to start with your OB.

• Options
    I'm super new here and mainly lurk, but I went throught the EXACT same thing. I have ppd/ppa and ppocd. I started out going to a therapist and a psychiatrist. After many medication combos and changes, we settled on Trazodone. It's a mild anti-depressant, but is also prescribed for insomnia due to it's sedating effects. I take 150mg right before bed and sleep so much better. My mind still races if I have to get up with my son in the middle of the night, but it's a lot easier to fall back asleep now. I wake up a little groggy, but it's nothing a coffee can't fix! Good luck, and feel free to pm me if you want to talk or have any questions!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I also had the same problem when my son was born....couldn't stop my racing mind and could never get settled enough to actually sleep! I was up front with my family, got on medication, and really started to feel better after a couple weeks! Hang in there...you can do this....just find one person who can help you get the ball rolling (for me that was my mom who actually called the ob's office for me)!
  • Options
    Went through the same exact thing!  It is awful!!! I'm so sorry.  I was diagnosed with PPD, GAD and a little bit of OCD.  All because of having a baby.  Like another poster said, after trying several different meds I also use 100mgs of Trazodone.  Serequel is great for a racing mind, I use 50mgs of that...use to use 600mgs!!  Their are things out there to help you.  Start with your OB or PCP then move to a psychiatrist, they know more about these drugs.  

I also use to use klonopin too...life saver.  It is a benzo and I was careful with it.  
    PPD/PPA Mom...it has been super hard, but I'm making it! Slow steps...
    Mom to Carter (6), and Calianne (1).  
    Proud VBAC, natural birth, breastfeeding, cloth diapering momma!

• Options
    I go through this too. I just want to suggest therapy as an option before medication. Medication is a quick fix and often a lifesaver, but it isn't a good goal to rely on those without figuring out other coping skills.
  • Options
    I go through this too. I just want to suggest therapy as an option before medication. Medication is a quick fix and often a lifesaver, but it isn't a good goal to rely on those without figuring out other coping skills.
    Just wanted to reply by saying that I did therapy first too and still go, but I was in desperate need of a quick fix at that time.  I'm proud to say that with my therapy skills that I don't take my benzo anymore and I go without my meds at times.  I do agree that therapy is a must and in this situation she may need meds first in order to get some sleep.  Sleep is a terrible thing to constantly go without.  
    PPD/PPA Mom...it has been super hard, but I'm making it! Slow steps...
    Mom to Carter (6), and Calianne (1).  
    Proud VBAC, natural birth, breastfeeding, cloth diapering momma!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"