Food Allergy
Options

Food Allergy/Elimination Diet

My son is 4 months old and has confirmed blood in stool (non-visible). His doctor ran lab work on it and is insistent that I quit ebfing because I have already cut out soy/dairy. I refuse to just give up breastfeeding so I am going to start a total elimination diet today.  I feel terrible my son has blood in his stool but why would I switch him to formula before knowing what he may be allergic to? His pediatrician says its unnatural for him to have blood in his stool and that there is nothing I can do with breastfeeding that can help him. Has anyone successfully nursed through allergies? I just want to know if there is anyone who has tips on it or can answer these questions.

I drink coconut milk anyway, is that something I have to stop as well? 
What fruits/veggies are safe?
 How long did you wait before reintroducing foods and what foods did you start with?

TIA ladies <3

Re: Food Allergy/Elimination Diet

• Options
    I started with the elimination diet on the Dr Sears site. In the beginning I ate a lot of plain baked chicken, rice, and cooked veggies. It might be a good idea to switch to rice milk for now. It took me about 2 months to figure out what I could and couldn't eat. I consulted an allergist, and she said since the amount of blood was very small and there were no weight gain issues, she thought it was worth it to adjust my diet and keep bfing. Around 10-11 months DD2 outgrew most of her food intolerances, and I continued to nurse her until she was 18 months. It turned out that DD2 had a lot more intolerances than just dairy and soy, so the elimination diet worked for us.
  • Options
    @AmyG, I agree that for most people it's enough to give up dairy/soy, and that the OP's pedi doesn't know what he's talking about.  I did have to do an elimination diet to figure out DD2's issues, and it sounded like the OP had already tried cutting out dairy and soy, and they were still having problems.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    How long have you been dairy and soy free? It takes time for those proteins to leave your and LO's systems.

The Breastfeeding board has a check in on Mondays for MSPI moms. (It's linked over here each week too). You can read past check ins at www.mspimoms.blogspot.com. The site www.mspimama.com has tons of dairy and soy free recipes.

Are you avoiding "hidden" dairy and soy as well? The FARE site has a sheet you can print with the ingredients you want to avoid.

Does your LO have any other symptoms?
    someecardscom - Im well on my way to getting absolutely nothing done today
    DD1: allergic to eggs & dairy Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    c/p 4/1/11

DD2: milk and soy protein intolerant, allergic to eggs, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, bananasBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    MSPI Moms Check-In Blog
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"