Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

people wanting to feed my baby

my 8 month old is my second and everyone thought I was nuts that we didn't feed him anything except breast milk until 6 months and really no junk at all until his first birthday cake. Second time around I thought I'd be prepared, but I'm still just amazed at the things people offer him. There was a mom at the toddler group we attend that asked me if he could have a fruit roll up. Um no. He gags on puffs not ready for gummies. My mil offered me pudding the other night. No pudding is not an acceptable dinner for an 8 month old. I just don't get it, I'm not a health nut by any means, but it blows my mind the things people want to offer him. Pudding is not dinner lol. They also don't believe me that he really isn't that interested in solids much. It's a rare thing when he will finish a stage 1 size amount of puree. He weighs almost 23 1/2 lbs and is a big healthy boy for his age, so clearly I'm doing something right. Please tell me I'm not nuts and that you all get as much heck as I do from people worrying about what my baby is eating.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: people wanting to feed my baby

• Options
    You're not nuts. Others don't really give me a hard time. Just my mom who insists on purée feeding DS who is BLW and eats like a champ.
  • Options
    You're not crazy at all. This may be my biggest pet peeve when it comes to others and my kids. I don't see people's obsession with feeding other people's children. It's like they think they can win them over if they feed them or something. Drives me insane. Especially since DS1 has multiple severe food allergies. My MIL wanted to give DS1 whipped cream out of a can when he was like 10 months old... umm no. 
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I was just talking about this the other day...my grandma tried to give DD a big hunk of frosting off her finger the other day!  I was like WTF makes you think that is a good idea?!  But yes, people always want to feed her things, and I don't get it.  But at the same time, people always make comments about how crazy we are for doing BLW - "you are going to feed her THAT?!?!"  

I just don't get it.
  • Options
    Fruit roll up for an 8mo old! omg that is crazy. That is so easy for them to choke on.  I don't mind giving my dd a little taste of something (such as pudding) but not as a meal.  She loves her food and eats like a champ.  Veggies, Fruits, cereal and formula are her main source of food. I don't think you are crazy at all

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    You're not nuts!!!  I have to tell my mom no- I'm not putting butter in the carrots before I puree them and no I'm not adding sugar to the apples.  And DH and I actually don't want to do a sugary cake for DDs first birthday.  DH has a colleague who bakes on the side as a second income (she's super talented) and we've asked her to do a simple light pound cake or angel cake with a fresh whipped cream topping and lots of fresh berries when the time comes.  People think we're crazy for not wanting the sugary cake with the sugary thick frosting.  I don't want DD to get addicted to sugar.  We're also following our pedi's advice of no juice for the first five years - I want her to grow up drinking water, which is something I didn't do and now I can't stand the taste of plain water.
  • Options
    No, you're the normal one. The part that drives me nuts is when SO's mom wants to feed DS and I don't agree with it, then I get the "Well I did it when my kids were little and they're fine." I can't stand that!!!! Yes, you've raised two kids, but this one is MINE and I'll do it MY way. 
  • Options

Of course they don't believe you that your baby isn't interested in solids yet.  They feed/fed their kids sugary pudding and fruit roll ups!  Their babies probably wanted more and more and more...sugar high!!

Why would any want to introduce sugar that early?  Heck, we waited until our daughter was 8months to offer any fruit because we figured if she hasn't had sugar she isn't missing it and she'd be more willing to eat all the vegetables first. 

• Options
    Crequito said:
    You're not nuts!!!  I have to tell my mom no- I'm not putting butter in the carrots before I puree them and no I'm not adding sugar to the apples.  And DH and I actually don't want to do a sugary cake for DDs first birthday.  DH has a colleague who bakes on the side as a second income (she's super talented) and we've asked her to do a simple light pound cake or angel cake with a fresh whipped cream topping and lots of fresh berries when the time comes.  People think we're crazy for not wanting the sugary cake with the sugary thick frosting.  I don't want DD to get addicted to sugar.  We're also following our pedi's advice of no juice for the first five years - I want her to grow up drinking water, which is something I didn't do and now I can't stand the taste of plain water.
    I love that your pedi suggests this. People think it's crazy that my 2 year old have never had juice.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    mrsannie said:
    Crequito said:
    I love that your pedi suggests this. People think it's crazy that my 2 year old have never had juice.
    My SO's mother is pushing juice. It's pissing me off. We have no desire to give him juice for years!
  • Options
    My brother in law asked if she could have some of his chicken enchilada when she was almost 6 months. Then his girlfriend asked if she could have pudding.
    My DD is allergic to milk and soy. I'm terrified people will give her food. Especially at his extended family Christmas or at her birthday party.
  • Options

People asking if the baby/child can have a specific food item don't bother me -- they're asking either out of curiosity/ignorance or asking permission to give the child the item.  It's the ones who don't ask before giving the baby/child something that I'd be concerned with, especially when food allergies are involved.

On the other hand, if I was feeding my son BLW style and his grandma fed him pureed carrots instead of "real" carrots - NBD, it's what she's comfortable with and knows how to do safely.  

YBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I'm a fan of The Cloth Diaper Tech Support group on Facebook
  • Options
    People need to respect your wishes on what/when you want to feed you child. As long as they ask before giving the baby anything I dont have a problem, its the people that just take it upon themselves to give the baby food that drives me nuts!
  • Options
    YES! We EBF and gave NO solids before 6 months, and he was still a big, healthy boy! People were so surprised. Even our doctor once we hit 6 months was like "What do you mean, you haven't given him any yet?" at his 6-month appointment.

We are doing a combo of purees and table foods, and I will not give him sweets or desserts until he is a year old. I know I'm being judgmental here, but it REALLY bugs me when people give their babies junk food. I am facebook friends with a girl who had a 3 or 4 month birthday party for her son and let him smash/eat (to the extent that he could) a cupcake. Ummmm, NO.
    Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • Options
    YES! We EBF and gave NO solids before 6 months, and he was still a big, healthy boy! People were so surprised. Even our doctor once we hit 6 months was like "What do you mean, you haven't given him any yet?" at his 6-month appointment.

We are doing a combo of purees and table foods, and I will not give him sweets or desserts until he is a year old. I know I'm being judgmental here, but it REALLY bugs me when people give their babies junk food. I am facebook friends with a girl who had a 3 or 4 month birthday party for her son and let him smash/eat (to the extent that he could) a cupcake. Ummmm, NO.

4 month cake smash???? Even the 1year smash cakes kind of makes me cringe!  I get it is adorable for adults and fun for the kid...BUT all that sugar.  Soooo, much sugar!  Still not sure what we'll do for our 8 month old when she turns 1.  Maybe I'll compromise with a whipped cream angel food cake. still fun to smash but less sugar. 

• Options
    sschwegesschwege member
    edited November 2013
    Right there with you!  To me the purpose of giving kids sweets is to teach them moderation, it's a once in awhile treat right?  So why give it to kids who are too young to learn anything from it other than develop a sweet tooth?  

DD had ice cream for the first time right after she turned two and it was the sweetest thing, we took her to an ice cream shop.  She sat down, took a bite and said, "I like it!!!" with all the enthusiasm in the world.  Even now she will say that sweets are a 'once in a while' treat.  

So I'm not about withholding sweets forever, but I don't see the point of giving it to very young children or even more disgusting infants.  Why do it?  I still don't do jelly on DD's PB and J sandwiches, I use apple sauce, she doesn't know any better, why give her the sugar?!
  • Options
    Crequito said:

Butter. So many people think I'm crazy for not putting butter with his veggies. "he'll never like them unless you use butter" I don't put butter in MY veggies either. Sheesh people.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I would have agreed 100% with all of that a few months ago. I have to put dairy/soy free butter on a lot of things to increase her calories. Her pancakes are basically dropping butter sometimes and it grosses me out.
    She also had a few bites of a cupcake yesterday because we are slowly trialing eggs to check for an allergy. And the process we are doing was just easier with cake mix.
    Otherwise I would not have done either of those things
  • Options
    hdall0807 said:
    I would have agreed 100% with all of that a few months ago. I have to put dairy/soy free butter on a lot of things to increase her calories. Her pancakes are basically dropping butter sometimes and it grosses me out. She also had a few bites of a cupcake yesterday because we are slowly trialing eggs to check for an allergy. And the process we are doing was just easier with cake mix. Otherwise I would not have done either of those things
    Why not just give scrambled eggs? Cake mix for a baby... yikes.
    Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • Options
    Because she can't have milk in scrambled eggs. They dont want her doinh almknd milk or anything either. and we are following a multiple step thing to slowly add eggs, not just giving her an egg.
  • Options

I have given J two tiny licks of freash whipped cream.  And he's sipped lemonade when we were straw training, because he likes to share mommy's drink.  He probably got about 2 mouthfuls, total.  I make all his food except the puffs, and try to minimize how many he gets of those because they have some sugar in the ingredients list.  Puddings and things like that are out of the question, and I don't like the idea of having a cake for his birthday.  I might do whipped cream and berries like some other have suggested, if he's outgrown his milk protein intolerance at that point. 

I haven't had anyone suggest giving him anything ridiculous, and everyone is very respectful about only feeding him the food I've made.  I'd be shocked if I found out someone had given him butter or sugary snacks.

• Options
    My mil gave my lo chocolate pie on thanksgiving. She just turned 6 months old last week. I told her not to and she just laughed ugh her defense was that she saw my husband give her a taste of mashed potatoes so she figured we wouldn't care. Umm he's her dad first of all so he can do what he wants and second why would you give my 5 month old chocolate without asking one of us!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"