Toddlers: 24 Months+

What milk are you giving your 2 year old

We recently went for DS 2 year well visit and they told us to switch to skim milk.  I was very surprised and thought they would of said 1 or 2%.  What are you currently giving your toddler?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker

Re: What milk are you giving your 2 year old

• We gave our 2 year old 2% for a few months after she turned 2 but she would never finish a gallon before it went bad.  So now we just give her skim cause that is what the rest of our family drinks.  I don't think it makes that much of a difference, 2% vs 1% vs skim.  Just give him what you feel most comfortable with.
  • 2%. Our doctor is pretty ambivalent about it at this age.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Pedi said percent milk so we do 2 percent
  • My pediatrician said we could switch to skim at 2 (taking vit d previously) but i will keep him on at least 1%. (he just turned two this past weekend)
  • When he was 2 years old we switched to 2%.  He just turned 3 and we switched to 1% which is what we would choose to drink for the family. 

image image

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • As of 2 years old, 2%. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• My pediatrician said 1% or skim, we do 1%. She said the concern is not the fat content but the amount of cholesterol that they would be getting with whole milk.

• When he was 2 we went to 2%, now that he's 3 we are all on 1%.  
    image image

• DD still gets at least one nursing session a day and whole milk if she requests. DH still drinks while milk, he can't stand the taste of any other milk.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers PitaPata Dog tickers Screen Shot 2012-11-15 at 8.25.16 AM
  • Pedi said 1% or 2%.  We do 1% because that's what we drink.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We drink 2% in this house all around.
    Derek - February 2013        Caelyn April 2011
    imageimage

• We all drink skim, so that's what we switched to somewhere around 2. I nursed both DD1 and DD2 past 2 years, so I wasn't as concerned about what kind of cow's milk they were getting.
    Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • We all drink skim, so that's what we switched to somewhere around 2. I nursed both DD1 and DD2 past 2 years, so I wasn't as concerned about what kind of cow's milk they were getting.
    Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • Whole. 

My daughter is skinny and my DH and I prefer the taste of whole milk--we have a small glass at breakfast. 

She does get 2% other places---at the daycare, MIL, restaurants---we just always have whole milk. 
    My daughter is my hero.
  • mbenit4 said:
    Maybe this is an area thing. I gave mine whole milk. Pedi never said anything about switching. I am not buying separate milks. 
    This is us, but we do buy separate milks.  DH and I drink skim, the little guy has whole.  His pediatrician never said anything about switching.
    June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I asked our pedi and he said we could do anything really; he didn't seem too concerned.  He just basically said she can drink whatever you're drinking - so she gets 2% (Or 1% or skim if DH is getting groceries!).
  • Whole organic. Pedi recommends 2% starting at 2, but I see no problem with whole since that is what we use in our chai. He only has 16 oz a day.
  • At her 2 year appointment the pedi said that we could have her drink whatever milk we drink.  I was surprised, I thought we would be told to switch to 2%.  I'm happy though, it's nice not to buy two milks.
    image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• DD started on skim milk at 2.  Pedi said to switch her to whatever we are drinking.  However, she drinks 1% or 2% depending on whether we are at restaurants or other people's houses.  
  • DS turned 2 about a month ago, he's still on whole milk. He's a skinny mini, so I like the extra fat. DH likes 2% and we're actually nearly out of whole so we'll probably switch to 2% this week. I only like skim and will probably start giving him that when he's 4ish. 
    BFP #1: 3.28.11 Dx w/ PIH @ 24w DS Born @ 36w: 11.7.11 6 Days in NICU
    BFP #2: 8.31.16 Dx w/ GD @ 28w DD Born @ 36w: 4.21.17

• My DS is at the low end of normal for BMI and our pedi said to keep him on whole milk. He can't get enough milk and is still tall and thin.
  • Whole - I don't plan on switching him.  We only buy/drink whole milk, but it's mostly for cereal.  My son will have a glass with his breakfast and dinner, but he doesn't have more than 8-12oz per day in total.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • We switched DD to skim or 1% milk at 2 years of age, since that is what DH and I drink.
  • Whole. 

My daughter is skinny and my DH and I prefer the taste of whole milk--we have a small glass at breakfast. 

She does get 2% other places---at the daycare, MIL, restaurants---we just always have whole milk. 
    Me too.  Also, DS will be starting whole milk shortly and I am not buying 2 kinds of milk.  
    image   image
    We were 2 under 2, now 3 under 3!
    Team Green turned Team Pink with #1, Team Green turned Team Blue with #2, Team Green turned Team Pink again with #3
  • edited December 2013
    DD's pedi suggested whole or 2% since she is still pretty low on the weight scale at 2.  I think we did whole for about an additional 6 months then moved to 2%.  DS will be two in a few days and we just bought our first gallon of 2% for him.  I may move them to 1% in another year, time will tell. I drink skim so I like the idea of only having to buy 2 different types of milk instead of 3.  : )
  • DD is only 26lbs at 2yo so we will do whole milk for awhile. She has 2% at DC.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We do about 8 oz of WCM/day.  Everything else we would use milk for we substitute Almond milk.  He eats a ton of dairy in yogurt and cheese form.
    ~Married 11/08~
    ~TTC since 01/09~
    ~SA & B/W - 06/09 - Normal~
    ~Encouraged by OB to "just keep trying" 06/09 - 06/10 (oh, the wasted time)~
    ~HSG - 08/10 - Clear/Normal~
    ~Lapo - 01/11 - Normal~
    ~Clomid 50mg, Trigger shot, Prometrium - 01/11, 02/11, 03/11~
    ~BFN - 02/11~
    ~IUI #1 03/15/11~
    BFP 3/28/2011
    Diagnosed with GD at 28 weeks. Controlled through diet and exercise. No insulin.
    Diagnosed with Cholestasis of pregnancy @ 36 weeks.
    Delivered via C-section @ 36 weeks on 11/9/11.

TTC#2 for a few months naturally (ha!)
    ~IUI#1, Clomid, Trigger,  10/13 - BFN
    ~IUI#2, Femera, Ovidrel, 11/13

• really? we do 2%
  • 2% in our house

DD - Juliana Joan - Born October 27, 2010 - My Little Princess

BFP 1/14/13 - M/C 1/22/13 @ 5 weeks

BFP 3/20/13 - EDD 11/11/13

BabyFetus Ticker

• DD drinks organic skim and almond milk.

Hailey Jo born 1/11/2011 after successful IUI

TTC #2 Since 06/2012
    Me: 28 - PCOS w/ IR
    DH: 29

Cycle #1 
    Clomid + Ovidrel + TI = BFP

BabyFruit Ticker
  • We're giving only 2 percent now since right before turning 2 and were giving 2 percent half the time since about 1.5 because her tummy does better with it than whole. She's on the low end for weight but nothing bad, so the doc said it's better to use the 2 percent with less tummy issues than the whole milk.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • the DHA fortified whole milk mixed with soy or almond, he only drinks a cup a day and would not drink the 2% so I switched back to whole
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"