Pregnant after IF
Options

Who did the blood sex/gender test and it was wrong?

That happened to someone on this board, right?
IF DX: DOR & Fragile X pre-mutation carrier
2011: FSH 13.3 & E 99; AMH 0.54 2nd FSH 6.2 E 40's AFC: 8
BFP from Clomid/IUI ~ Pre-e and IUGR during pregnancy ~ DS born 9/4/12
Feb./March 2013: AMH less than 0.16 (undectable) and AFC = 4;
BFP from supps ~ DS#2 due May 2014

May 2014 January Siggy Challenge:

Re: Who did the blood sex/gender test and it was wrong?

• Options
    Maybe @roeni??

<Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Married June 2011 Dx: anovulatory due to prolactinoma (1.5cmx 1.5cm in 2006)
    April 2012: MRI- questionable cyst 8mg by 12mm in pituitary ; referred to RE by Ob-gyn after amenorrhea x 4+ months, provera ineffective, low estrogen level
    cycle 1: May 2012, clomid 50mg; cycle cancelled, thin lining, no response
    cycle 2: June 2012, femara 5mg; cycle cancelled, no response
    cycle 3: July 2012, femara 7.5mg; cycle cancelled (largest folli on Cd12 & cd 16: 11, lining 4)
    Repeat MRI July 25,2012- Cyst unchanged, likely old infarction.
    Aug. 8: met with RE, move to injectables if HSG and SA normal
    Aug. 23: HSG all clear; DH- perfect
    Switched to a new RE in early Sept. IVF here we come
    Genetic testing reveals: Fragile X- Intermediate risk/grey zone.
    IVF#1: ER 11/30: 14 retrieved, 10 mature, 7 fertilized. E2 prior to trigger 5200. Decision made to freeze 6 embryos and transfer later due to OHSS.
    IVF#1.2/FET #1: estrogen injects start 1/18, FET delayed to try to thicken lining. lining 5.4mm. FET- 2/18- transferred one 3AA expanded blast. BFP 5dp5dt. Beta #1- 2/27 9dp5dt- 102.27 beta #2 3/1: 147 :(, beta #3 3/4: 268 told to stop meds and let nature take its course. requested 4th beta (3/6); Beta hell for 2 months.

FET # 2: endometrial scratch 5/6, added estrace vaginally and ASA to delestrogen and PIO. June 10- transferred one 4AA hatched embryo, BFP 4dp6dt, Beta 1 (9dp6dt) 187, Beta 2 (11dp6dt): 412; Beta 3 (15dp6dt ): 4452. U/S #1- one beautiful embryo with a heartbeat of 133 at 7 weeks.  8 weeks: heartbeat 156. EDD 2/26/2014: born 2-3-14 induced due to Pre-E and HELLP at 36w5d.

12/1: met with RE to discuss trying for #2

• Options
    curlylocks3curlylocks3 member
    edited November 2013
    I thought it was Roeni too. 

image  image
    О Привязать! Z!
    The Science Babies debuted 5/6/14 @ 34 weeks
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    RoeniRoeni member
    edited December 2013
    That was me! Btw my OB did say it could be that the other twin was a girl. At 14 weeks there should have been plenty of male chromosome...after all 2 doctors could already see boy parts!
  • Options
    Roeni said:
    That was me! Btw my OB did say it could be that the other twin was a girl. At 14 weeks there should have been plenty of male chromosome...after all 2 doctors could already see boy parts!

Thanks for the info.  It has definitely been confirmed it was wrong, though, right? 

The reason I was asking is because I got the same blood test and at Thanksgiving my SIL (who is a Nurse practictioner) said she didn't think those things were terribly accurate.  I looked it up and the true statistic is that it is only 95% at 12 weeks...which sounds good, but in reality means that 1 out of every 20 is wrong.  When you consider there is a 50/50 chance of it being right anyway, that really means that the failure rate is more like 10%.  Which is huge!!!  The 99% accuracy rate everyone sees quoted is apparently at 20 weeks...and by then you can tell on an ultrasound.  So this just makes me think I am holding off until the anatomy scan before I start decorating the nursery.

• Options
    Wow, interesting!  We had the Panorama test done at 12 weeks, but we didn't start buying anything pink until the 20 week a/s confirmed.
    BabyFetus Tickerimage
  • Options
    Hmm, we had a blood test when I was 13 weeks, but it was accurate! I thought they were all 99.9%! Interesting.
    Me 28 DH 30 Married 08-11-07 TTC since 07/11 HSG 01-21-13 Left FTB Seeing RE 1-28-13 RE 1-28-13 Both tubes blocked LAP surgery 2-15-13 Both tubes removed Started IVF #1 June 2013 Meds: BCP, Lupron, Gonal-F, Ovidrel, Medrol, Doxycycline
    Beta #1-BFP!!! HCG-55 Beta #2--111 Beta #3--2,825 Beta #4 22,031 1st U/S 7-29-13 Saw and heard our little sweet pea's heartbeat!! 109 bpm 

• Options
    As a geneticst, I feel compelled to add that chromosomal DNA doesn't always match the sex of the child. If you recall a couple years ago there was a big scandal with a female Olympic athlete turning out to be XY! It happens more than you'd think, there's a dozen ways it can come about. Also, I look at profiles ALL DAY and the XY is the hardest part to see. :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image image 

• Options
    @olookasquirrel - So if I had a Y in MY blood, does that make it more reliable? Could it be left over from my first pregnancy? Also, if my dh handled the card they put the blood sample on, could he have gotten his dna on it? I had him hold it during the nt scan.

• Options
    edited December 2013
    Well, I only hold a master's degree so take this with a grain of salt, but:

There have been studies showing that fetal cells do hang around after your original pregnancy. So if you have baby 1 then baby 2, you now have cells from you and both babies 1 & 2 in your bloodstream (they think it might why women have so many more autoimmune disorders like MS and lupus - too much foreign DNA bugging your immune system all the time). 

I wouldn't rule out a contamination event - I don't know what system you're talking about, but if it's a paper card that you spot blood on, it's possible that your husband touched it with sweaty hands and wet the paper. 

That being said: These are POSSIBLES. In a court of law, I could argue that either one of these things happened and so the evidence is invalid. Probably? No way! In both cases, the overwhelming DNA present is going to be the baby's. Otherwise, if the nurse sneezed on the cards they would be invalid, and no lab wants a system that's that unreliable. 

And I was just noting that it has been shown to happen that a baby is XY - but a girl. There's a single gene on the Y chromosome (called the SR-Y gene) that tells the testicles to become testicles. If that gene gets removed, there's nothing to tell the testicles to form and the baby stays a girl. All babies are girls by default without this signal. The same way, the SR-Y gene can move off the Y chromosome and a baby can be XX - but a boy, since the gene is there. Again - probable? Nope. Possible? Yes, in the same way winning the lottery is possible! 

I just find this stuff fascinating, I hope I'm not actually scaring anybody... 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image image 

• Options
    @olookasquirrel - You are not scaring me in the least. All you have done is confirm that I need to wait for the AS before picking out nursery furniture. ;)

I have heard of the thing about tge dna beingdiffdifferent from the genitals before. Jamie Lee Curtis has female organs and a Y chromosome.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"