April 2013 Moms
Options

Homemade Gifts

farmerpinkyfarmerpinky member
edited December 2013 in April 2013 Moms
How do you feel about homemade gifts? Do you give them? Do you hate receiving them?
If somebody thinks they're a hedgehog, presumably you just give 'em a mirror and a few pictures of hedgehogs and tell them to sort it out for themselves.-Douglas Adams

Homemade Gifts 57 votes

I love both giving and receiving them.
54% 31 votes
Don't have time/desire to make them but I like getting them.
29% 17 votes
I think it's cheap/cheesy.
3% 2 votes
SS...explain. I didn't want to make it too long. The possibilities are endless
12% 7 votes

Re: Homemade Gifts

• Options
    I love homemade gifts that are filled with love and thoughtfulness.

DS1 4.4.11. &  DS2 4.18.13
  • Options
    I was going to vote yes to both, but voted SS. I love making them and receiving them, IF they are actually something I (or the other person) would enjoy and appreciate. I don't make something for the sake of making something. I still want it to be personable and appropriate for the recipient.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    It really depends what the gift is, whether it is homemade or store-bought. If it's something personalized and thoughtful that I will really like or use, a homemade present can definitely be better than a store-bought one. However, and I know this has been brought up before so I may be beating a dead horse, but we do NOT need any more homemade blankets for the baby. I know people mean well, but a baby only needs so many blankets... especially since they can't even use them for the first 6 months to a year!
    Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • Options
    I love receiving them and the time, thoughtfulness, and attention that goes into it. However, I don't have a creative bone in my body and lack the attention span to create something and stick with it.  I'd much rather put a lot of thought into a purchase ;)
  • Options
    I agree with others, I like giving/receiving homemade gifts, but I put a lot of thought into gifts, so if I get something weird, I do not appreciate it at all.  But again, that goes with getting a gift someone gave me that was on sale super cheap on black friday, because they had to give it to someone.  Those kinds of gifts can just go away, save your money and don't bother please. 

TTC since May 2006. After 3 failed Clomid cycles, 2 failed Injectibles/IUIs, 2 failed IVFs and 1 failed FET, we moved on to adoption! 

Last ditch FET resulted in BFP, and identical twin girls!

• Options
    farmerpinkyfarmerpinky member
    edited December 2013
    kgs0505 said:

I agree with others, I like giving/receiving homemade gifts, but I put a lot of thought into gifts, so if I get something weird, I do not appreciate it at all.  But again, that goes with getting a gift someone gave me that was on sale super cheap on black friday, because they had to give it to someone.  Those kinds of gifts can just go away, save your money and don't bother please. 

I hate "obligatory gift" givers. When I worked at Motherhood Maternity we would have MILs come in and not knowing or caring about size get the cheapest item we had just so they had something for "her."

If you don't want to get something, dont. I promise they already know what you think of them and all you'll do is waste money confirming it. Yes I have told many a MIL that. Toward the end of my retail career I kinda lost it.

Anyway, the reason I started this poll is because I have been making lotions and jams/jellies, spice packs, etc. from stuff I've grown. I plan on getting heifer international donation as gifts for my husband's family (they have anything they'll ever need and like that sort of thing) but I also think they will enjoy certain items I have.

I love getting stuff like that, but I don't know still. I work really hard and don't want something I give to end up in the trash.

EDIT TO ADD I'm a certified microprocessor with a commercial kitchen and my stuff is sold retail. The stuff I would make into a gift basket isn't stuff I threw together in my home kitchen.
    If somebody thinks they're a hedgehog, presumably you just give 'em a mirror and a few pictures of hedgehogs and tell them to sort it out for themselves.-Douglas Adams
  • Options
    If it's not like cookie mixes or some form of bake mix then I probably don't want it unless it's from my LO

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker                                                                  

Baby on Board - My Blog 

Anniversary

• Options
    cece2682 said:

knitfaced said:

I love them! Here is an advent calendar that I made for my kids this year! I think it turned out so cute!

Um I'm super impressed!! How long did that take you? Sew it? How did you make little characters?
    Agree! It's awesome!! Wish I had your creativity!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"