Nurseries and Baby Gear
Options

Thermometer for baby

Hello,

What type of thermometer did you end up getting to take babies temperature?  There are so many choices it is confusing about which is a good reader and which is a gimic.

Re: Thermometer for baby

• Options
    We use this one.  No need to stick anything in their butt and it works quickly.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Braun-Forehead-Thermometer/26923480
  • Options
    We have the exergyn temporal one for nervous checks and the Vicks rectal one if we need to confirm a very high temp. I'm glad we have both so I can check as often as I want, but also can make sure that I'm giving the doctor a correct temprature.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Vicks rectal. Super easy to use.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    TTC# 1 since 5/10
    Me:34 Type 1 Diabetes, Ankylosing Spondylitis, Hypothyroid DH:35 Perfect
    DX: Unexplained IF
    Many IUI's with various meds all BFFN
    IVF #1 11/11 canceled due to OHSS
    IVF #2 Feb/March 2012 ET of 2 on day 3 4/7 BFP! 5/1 u/s blighted ovum
    IVF #3 July 2012 ET of 3 on day 3 7/24 BFP!
    Healthy baby girl born at 36w4d on 3/9/13

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    TTC #2
    IVF #4 May/June 2014 ER 6/4 18R 8M 8F ET 6/9 1 blast, 2 frosties
    Beta 6/18 BFFN

FET of 2 blasts 7/24...BFP!
    Healthy baby girl born at 36w3d on 3/17/15

TTC#3
    IVF #5 June 2018- PGS planned, no surviving embryos
    IVF #6 August 2018- ET of 2 on day 3 - Chemical pregnancy
    IVF #7 August 2019-....?
  • Options
    Vicks rectal for the real thing, exergen temporal for excessive crazy FTM checks and for when he's older.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    jess9802jess9802 member
    edited November 2013
    My DS cried so hard when I took his temp with the rectal thermometer that he threw up. He wasn't crying like he was in pain; he just really hates to be messed with (he's been batting away the Exergen thermometer and screaming when we wipe his nose). It's been a long week.
  • Options

We also used a rectal thermometer up until a few months ago.  I think it gives the most accurate reading.  But now that he's a crazy person during diaper changes, we use this...

https://www.amazon.com/Braun-Thermoscan-Thermometer-Technology-IRT4520USSM/dp/B001FWXKMM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1385392729&sr=8-1&keywords=ear+thermometer

Trying for #1 since May 2010   l   DX ~ Unexplained Infertility June 2011

IUI #1&2 = BFN; IUI #3 = BFP, m/c @ 6 weeks

November '11 ~ IVF#1 ~ ER 11/18 (29R, 17F) ~ 5dt of one beautiful blast on 11/23 = BFP!!

Beta #1 9dp5dt = 116, P4 = 28 ~ Beta #2 13dp5dt = 700 ~ Beta #3 20dp5dt = 9500, P4 = 26

1st u/s 12/27 - hb of 156!! EDD 8.10.12 :)   **TEAM GREEN!**

Sweet baby boy born 8.18.12

Trying for #2

FET #1 - October '13 - c/p   l   FET #2 - December '13 - cancelled :(   l   FET #2.2 - 1.30.14 - BFN

~ More testing - hysteroscopy, endometrial biopsy & more b/w - all normal / negative~

Surprise BFP while waiting on FET #3 ~ beta #1 500; beta #2 1600; first u/s 4/3 - measuring 5w5d, no hb yet!; 2nd u/s 4/10 - hb 132, measuring 6w6d - EDD 11.29.14 :)    **TEAM GREEN!**

Beautiful baby girl born 11.24.14

• Options
    I plan to buy a couple cheap rectal ones. Even for my older kids, the forehead one is never right for us.

Married 2005, DS: 2006, DD: 2008 EDD: 4/16/14- IT'S A GIRL! Scarlett Jean
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Cheapo rectal thermometer gives the most accurate reading and most pediatricians will recommend this method. I agree with other posters, the forehead one is always wrong for us too :(  DS is 3.5 and I have had no issues taking his temp ever.

• Options
    Wow, I'm surprised so many pediatricians said rectal. We were specifically told to NOT use rectal. Both our pediatrician and the take-home instructions from the hospital LO was born at said take the temp under the armpit for newborns.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    We have the Summer Infant 3-in-1 Thermometer and have found it really useful for DD. You can choose the rectal, underarm, or mouth attachment to get a reading. I usually do the rectal because I've found its most accurate.
    Loving life!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"