C-sections

Stitches vs staples

Due to LO currently in a complete breech position (and very happily so), my doc has started talking about scheduling a c section. I'm doing all the research I can, as I've never thought of having one!

So, stitches vs staples. What have you had, what did you prefer? Thanks for sharing any experiences!

Jill (36) Wife to Joe (36) Mom to: Alyssa (forever 10) Jacob (10) Baby Due 12/31/13 Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Stitches vs staples

• I had staples. I was nervous about having them removed (all I could think of was the staple remover I use at school to take down bulletin boards!) but it really wasn't bad at all. They took the staples out before I even went home and just covered the incision with steri-strips. I left those on until they started falling off on their own.
    F14 January Siggy Challenge: Gym/Fitness Fails

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Neither.  Well, I had internal stitches that dissolved on their own.  But both of my previous c/s were closed with glue.  No issues at all.  I did have a reaction to the adhesive they used around the incision with my first so for my second (and again with this one) I request a "gentle prep".  If you have sensitive skin, this may be worthwhile.

• Loading the player...
  • Internal stitches and glue on the outside- I just had to remove the steri strips on my own after a week or 2.
  • I had both internal stitches and staples. The staples covered a slight tear that occurred. The staples were removed before I left the hospital. I barely felt anything as they removed them. They applied steri-strips afterward.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I had staples the first time and stitches the second two times. I liked stitches better. My scars were much thinner with stitches. (Same dr all three times.)
  • hls19 said:

Internal stitches and glue on the outside- I just had to remove the steri strips on my own after a week or 2.

This. I didn't get a choice either, just doctor's preference
  • I didn't get a choice but had stitches/glue with first two and staples with the last.  I hated the staples because they left them in a week and they started to itch the last few days before getting them out.  Plus I was terrified to get them out.  It wasn't as bad an I envisioned but I still didn't like it (I had a ton ---like 24 I think). And my scar opened slightly the day after I got my staples out. Could totally not be related though.

My OB told me that most prefer to do stitches/glue but based on the number of sections/body type/weight a number of other things they may do staples.

• I had glue and this is my incision only 2 weeks later. I couldn't be happier. (The red mark is from my mesh shorts- the incision is right below that)
    Pregnancy discovered at 12 weeks 12/2007 - D&C at 13 Weeks due to partial Ectopic pregnancy/Body rejecting pregnancy. Last Pregnancy - EDD August 2013 TTC Our first miracle baby.
  • I had stitches. I wasn't given a choice either.
  • Thanks, ladies. I meet with the doc on Monday and will definitely be speaking up about my preferences!

Jill (36) Wife to Joe (36) Mom to: Alyssa (forever 10) Jacob (10) Baby Due 12/31/13 Pregnancy Ticker

• lica001 said:

hls19 said:

Internal stitches and glue on the outside- I just had to remove the steri strips on my own after a week or 2.

this! except i left steristrips on

• I had internal stitches both times with glue on the outside and the little sterile strips on top of the glue. I think it depends on the doctor cause 13mos after I had my first son my sister had a c section and got staples. Just depends on the doctor I believe. Im hoping to get glue again for my 3rd C/S in June.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I has glue with steri-strips that supposedly dissolve but I'm 2 weeks out and they're still there. Sigh.
    **Warning: Losses and living child mentioned**
    BFP#1 1/31/12, EDD 10/6/12 Harrison Gray born sleeping @ 18w6d. You changed our lives little guy.
    BFP#2 EDD 10/29/13, C/P 2/25/13, Bye little Ish, we barely got to know you.
    BFP#3 EDD 12/21/13, Baby Boots born 11/23/13 My rainbow baby!

imageView Full Size Imageimageimage
    January PAL Siggy Challenge: Good Advice

• I have glue that is supposed to fall off in its own. 3 weeks tomorrow, and it's still on! It's lifting away in some areas, but still there.

With my first I had steri strips
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
    My BFP Chart
    BFP 12/19/08 m/c 12/26/08 4 weeks 5 days BFP 10/12/12 m/c 11/19/12 9 weeks...love you forever my angel babies!
  • I had internal stitches and then staples on the outer incision. The staples were removed at discharge from the hospital and then steri strips were applied.
  • ave1012 said:
    I had internal stitches and then staples on the outer incision. The staples were removed at discharge from the hospital and then steri strips were applied.

This with both of mine. And I didn't have any say in what was used either, although both were emergencies, so that might change things. Either way, I was fine with the staples, very easy to have removed with almost no pain, and my scar is really minimal.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Me: 32 DH: 33  High School Sweethearts  Married 5/28/2005
    DS1 born 6/5/10 at 40 weeks via emergency c-section due to fetal distress and IUGR caused by placental insufficiency
    DS2 born still 8/28/13 at 32 weeks via emergency c-section due to a complete placental abruption - cause unknown
    Baby #3 on the way, EDD 2/29/16.  Originally twins, but we said goodbye to Baby B at 8 weeks.
  • lica001 said:
    Same here with both CS.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I has glue with steri-strips that supposedly dissolve but I'm 2 weeks out and they're still there. Sigh.
    The steri-strips are suppose to dissolve? I had to take the strips off myself. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I've only had staples. They were removed before I left the hospital both times, and steri strips were applied, which I removed about a week later per my doc instructions. I certainly wasn't given a choice as to what I 'wanted', but the staples were fine. It totally grossed me out and I couldn't look at them or touch them, but they didn't hurt any more than the rest of the incision area.
  • lkf041lkf041 member
    edited December 2013
    I had staples with my 1st c.  The other 2 I had internal stitches.  I prefer the stitches and I think my scar even looked better after them.
    DS- 11/08,  DD1 - 05/10,  DD2 - 11/11

BabyFetus Ticker
  • I've had internal stitches all 3 times. I was told by my doctor that she only would use staples if the patient was on the heavier side. (not sure why?) I always assumed staples were a thing of the past, but asked her to make sure. My previous OB said the internal stitches tend to heal better/leave less of a scar. 
  • I had internal dissolvable stitches and glue on the outside. No steri-strips, though. Apparently there's one one OB at our hospital (an older fella) who uses staples; it's doctor's preference.
     BFP #1: 3.2.13 | EDD: 10.21.13 | Born: 10.25.13
     BFP #2: 9.9.14 | EDD 5.13.15 | MC: 9.24.14
    BFP #3: 1.4.15 | EDD 8.23.15
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • hls19 said:

Exactly this for me too. I didn't even know they still stapled people up!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I wasn't given a choice.  I had staples.  My doctor removed them before I left the hospital and they never caused any pain or issue. 

• I requested stitches at my two, and will again this time. With toddlers crawling on me and coughing ect I couldn't imagine having my incision open like friends of mine who've had staples
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
     Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I didn't have a choice, but at that point I didn't care. I had stiches both inside and out. I have been very pleased with my scar and recovery. My scar is very thin! Plus it didn't require me going in at one week to have staples removed. I will ask for the same doctor next time.
  • My last Ob told me staples are lazy and he even sewed my tattoo back in line! I'm so scared of staples after having a friend get hers infected. Crossing my fingers I find another who is good with a needle
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"