October 2013 Moms
Options

Preschooler Birthday Problem

My daughter's birthday party is tomorrow.  It is a playdate style party with lunch and cupcakes.  I sent out e-vites a month ago and didn't get much feedback.  So I texted people last week to see if they were coming.  The breakdown was 2 yes, 2 no, and 5 no responses.

Well, one of my yes people has to cancel (family emergency, I totally get it).  My maybes have turned into no's and my no response people are just rude and lame.  I purposefully picked this date because at a previous playdate most people said that it would work out and they would love to come.

It looks like tomorrow it is going to be my daughter, her little sister, and one friend and possibly up to 5 more kids with a parent (or two) that have not responded.  What would you do?  I feel like if it is just one friend it is no big deal, we will party on.  Would you plan for the much larger group JIC?  Would you text them one more time? 

My baby brain is making this much more difficult then it should be.

Birthday cake for you!
Charlotte 12.3.09
Madeline 6.24.11
Eleanor 9.30.13

Re: Preschooler Birthday Problem

• Options
    Plan for the people who said yes, plus 2-3 extras just in case they show up.  I wouldn't do much more than that.
    m/c 9/22/07 at 8w5d...BFP 12/23/07! DD born 9/4/2008, BFP 2/14/13...DS born 10/22/2013 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'd wing it, and let the other mom that commited know. Have party food at home for a few, but if no one shows up after an hour, take that one friend to a drop-in bounce place or something extra special.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Friend parties are so stressful! I worry that no one will come but usually people who never responded come and throw me off! We did Disbey World for DD1s birthday last year and it was much more peaceful !

I would text or call the maybes one more time.
    My 2 girls, both born on a Friday the 13th, are exactly 2 years, 2 months, 2 hours and 2 minutes apart! And Baby Boy joined us October 11, 2013! image
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    @jennlin I called the other mom and let her know.  She was super awesome about it and is bringing her husband and he is going to bring his guitar to get the girls moving.  We are both new to the area so I think she gets how hard it is since some of these friends we have only had for 6 months or so.

I was afraid to text again but I am thinking one more time won't hurt, especially because of the holiday last week.

Charlotte 12.3.09
    Madeline 6.24.11
    Eleanor 9.30.13
  • Options
    I hate when people don't rsvp. It is so rude!
    I know right?  The things is I love to cook so I pick the meal based on the amount of people coming.  I decided to go with a stew, pomegranate walnut salad and fresh homemade bread for the adults.  It will feed a lot if necessary and will freeze (the stew at least) if needed.
    Charlotte 12.3.09
    Madeline 6.24.11
    Eleanor 9.30.13
  • Options
    norbert5 said:
    I hate when people don't rsvp. It is so rude!
    I know right?  The things is I love to cook so I pick the meal based on the amount of people coming.  I decided to go with a stew, pomegranate walnut salad and fresh homemade bread for the adults.  It will feed a lot if necessary and will freeze (the stew at least) if needed.
    Yum!! 

DD1 | Jan 2009
    DD2 | June 2011
    DS1 | Oct 2013
       ADD3 | Oct 2014 (April 2001)
    DS2 | June 2016
    DS3 | Dec 2018

Due with baby blob August 2021

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    IzziesIzzies member
    edited December 2013
    I would plan in a few extra, your menue sounds amazing!! And I love love love your GIF!
    Edit due to stupid auto correct
  • Options
    The food sounds awesome! Where do you live again? I can come over tomorrow. :)
    And happy birthday to your DD!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    DD1: born 1/19/11. DD2: born 10/10/13
  • Options
    RedZee said:

Thanks, I am in Sacramento. Come on over! I picked the pomegranates myself at Thanksgiving and the walnuts came from DH's grandparent's ranch.

Charlotte 12.3.09
    Madeline 6.24.11
    Eleanor 9.30.13
  • Options
    Ugh!

I own a children's party planning business and let me tell you- RSVP's are the worst!!!!!

I always feel bad for the parents! We request a final head count the Monday before the party to plan staffing, food, favors, etc. and we build the final invoice. Without fail that number is usually off by a minimum of 2-3 kids.
    ( typically over the original count given)

We always plan on a minimum of 3 additional!

If bored, here is the fb page:
    www.facebook.com/thewhimwish

• Options
    norbert5 said:

RedZee said:

Thanks, I am in Sacramento. Come on over! I picked the pomegranates myself at Thanksgiving and the walnuts came from DH's grandparent's ranch.

I have fam in sac and we go a couple times a year :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"