October 2013 Moms
Options

Bottle nipple Q- HELP!

Trying to get my LO to take a bottle and DH said she will try to latch on and then choke on the nipple. She has done it multiple times each time he has tried to offer the bottle.
We are using Tommee Tippee bottles. Are there any brands out there that have a smaller nipple? Anyone else have this issue and if so, how was it remedied? We really want her to be able to take an occasional bottle, please help!
TIA!

Re: Bottle nipple Q- HELP!

• Options
    Is she choking on the actual nipple or the flow? When you feed the bottle you should be basically holding it horizontally, and not tilted like you see people do. BF babies aren't used to the bottle flow.

We had the best success with the Playtex nursers with the latex nipple. My LO also chokes on the TT bottle flow, even though I have an overactive letdown she's used to.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
      Francesca Pearl is here!             Josephine Hope is almost 3!
  • Options
    Google Tommee Tippee nipples. This has been asked before and I found a link suggestion on TT's web site about an even slower flow than the stage 1 nipple. But I'm on mobile now and don't feel like searching. Sorry. :/
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    kimbo1216 said:

Google Tommee Tippee nipples. This has been asked before and I found a link suggestion on TT's web site about an even slower flow than the stage 1 nipple. But I'm on mobile now and don't feel like searching. Sorry. :/

I'm mobile too, sorry for the repeat question.
  • Options
    @kimbo1216, thank you! The TT site suggested a Variflow nipple that allows baby to dictate the flow rate. I'm going to go get one, as well as a Dr Brown bottle, today. Ugh, Super Saturday at Target. Not looking forward to that.
  • Options
    jgslr said:

@kimbo1216, thank you! The TT site suggested a Variflow nipple that allows baby to dictate the flow rate. I'm going to go get one, as well as a Dr Brown bottle, today. Ugh, Super Saturday at Target. Not looking forward to that.

Go to bbru, you prob won't find the drb preemie nip and variflow anywhere else. They're not used as often and target has a smaller selection with only commonly used bottles/nipples. That was just my experience.
    Thanks, I was just looking online and sure enough, they aren't carried in store. Our closest BRU is the next city over, but maybe we can find time today to go. She did end up taking 1.5oz from the bottle after she woke up from her nap, but wouldn't do more.
  • Options
    I never like the TT bottles. I always found that the nipples were too long and the baby I watched choked/gagged on them constantly.

DD#1~Emma Dawn 12/19/00 7lb 10 oz 21"
    DD#2~Daphney Mae 04/17/03 7lb 13oz 21"
    DD#3~Grace Deonea 05/20/10 8lb 2oz 21"
        DS#1~Brody Maxwell born 10/16/13 8lb 10oz 21"

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We have only bottle fed a few times, but we got a bottle with our Madela pump that we used. It is supposed to mimic the breast, meaning they actually have to suck to eat. The nipple is three pieces. It has worked great so far. Bru has them, one bottle is like $18, so we only have one. I would take a picture but I am mobile. I can take a pic when I get home...
  • Options
    We use the medela breast feeding nipples as well. He does good with the feedin but sometimes chokes when taking a break. Although he does this sometimes while BF so I think he just has my husbands wonderful gag reflex...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"