December 2013 Moms
Options

Sad, feeling my natural birth will not happen

I am a first time mom due Dec. 14 2013, and I was really hoping for a natural (med free/intervention free) birth. Presently I am in joint care between an OB and a GP, I was first referred to the OB by my family doctor and later found out (from my doula) I had a choice and that a GP who does deliveries would likely be more receptive to my natural birth plans. However the GP did want to keep the OB involved because I am considered to be high risk (weight, a large abdominal scar, and more recently my blood pressure has not been ideal). I started have Bio-Physicals weekly 2 weeks ago, the first was perfect however Monday he was breeched. I think this happened Saturday night, his movements felt weird and a little painful, at the time I had hoped it was the start of labour. The past week and a half have been very stressful and difficult personally a(illness/death in the family primarily) and I am really hoping that wasn't what caused him to flip. I do now know any details about the breech itself as I didn't know to ask at the scan and I kind of freaked out when they started talking about a C-section.
Right after the scan I went to my GP and he discussed C-sections/breech births with me and encouraged if I felt strongly about trying for a breeched birth I should speak with the OB about it. The impression he gave me was that he would not be very optimistic about their willingness to do so given my risk factors and the general attitude of OBs locally with breech birth. Tuesday I spoke with the OB and she basically dismissed even the idea of external version as she does not believe it will work for me because of weight, scar and being a first time mother. As of right now I am scheduled for a c-section on Dec. 11 (39 weeks and 4 days), but fingers are crossed he will flip himself around before then. However to make it even worst my OB will not even be doing the C-section because she is has to take a few weeks off starting the 5th for medical reasons. So next week will be my first time even meeting that OB that is scheduled to do the section.
I researched online to get some ideas about flipping him, currently we are trying downward dog yoga position, hip rotations, the inversion, breech tilt, soft music played though headphones, ice packs/hot water bottles, and motivational pep talks to baby. I am very lucky my husband is very supportive and helping me with these exercises, though he admitted he is scared of the idea of attempting a breech birth. So hopefully we can flip baby ourselves otherwise we will have to go with the C-section. There are no Chiropractors in my area who do Webster's and I am a little put off by acupuncture.
Sorry this ended up being so long, I am just feeling really down today and wanted to vent. thanks to anyone who made it this far and if you have any tips for flipping baby I would love to hear them.

Re: Sad, feeling my natural birth will not happen

• Options
    Sorry your baby hasn't flipped yet. I hope it will though. Hang in there and good luck :)
    Welcome Lily Anna!
    photo 1456712_10152106342897743_1211250038_nTB_zps917a6c9a.jpg
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    A lot of people on here have suggested spinningbabies.com

• Options
    I'm sorry. My baby just flipped. I also tried somersaults and hand stands underwater in a pool. I don't know if it helped but it's worth a try. I hope your baby decides to turn!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    mary35699  I feel you.  Due date is Monday, and if he/she doesn't come by them, I'm getting INDUCED and have to be on CONTINUOUS FETAL MONITORING... eg. tethered.  :(
  • Options
    If he flipped he can flip back. If he doesn't then you'll move to a csection because it's what's best for baby. I know it's hard to have your plans changed but in reality your labor is but a fraction of a second in the rest of your lives. Our 2nd flipped at 39.5 weeks. It does happen. FX your baby flips again.

• Options
    If he flipped he can flip back. If he doesn't then you'll move to a csection because it's what's best for baby. I know it's hard to have your plans changed but in reality your labor is but a fraction of a second in the rest of your lives. Our 2nd flipped at 39.5 weeks. It does happen. FX your baby flips again.
    This really is true. I know it may not be what you wanted, but you're no less of a mom for getting a section. It sounds like it is the best thing for your health and for LO.  Of course LO may still flip!  Don't give up hope, but keep in mind the possibility of a section.
    image  image

Lilypie - (Xzno)
    Lilypie - (WIG0)
  • Options

Thanks for the replies. I am still working on getting him to flip back and I am hoping to see if another OB will try ECB for me.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"