Stay at Home Moms
Options

Homemade Cranberry Sauce - whole or jellied?

I'm making this for the first time. I usually just crack open a can of jelly. I'm just following the instructions on the back of the fresh cranberry bag. I don't normally eat it myself so I don't know which is better - whole or jellied. Which do you do? And do cranberries have pits? Like cherries?
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Re: Homemade Cranberry Sauce - whole or jellied?

• Options
    What do you mean by whole or jellied? Like, homemade or canned? I prefer homemade but they're both delicious... For me cranberry sauce is essential at Thanksgiving. They don't have pits, they're like really sore blueberries. Just follow the directions on the back of the bag... usually you just cook them down with some sugar and a bit of water. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    I've always eat canned, the jellied kind. Once I picked up a can of the whole berry kind, and I couldn't eat it . The texture was weird lol. I'm sorry I'm no help!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

What do you mean by whole or jellied? Like, homemade or canned? I prefer homemade but they're both delicious... For me cranberry sauce is essential at Thanksgiving. They don't have pits, they're like really sore blueberries. Just follow the directions on the back of the bag... usually you just cook them down with some sugar and a bit of water. 

On the bag, it says to mash the berries after cooking to make a jelly. Just not sure if whole berries is better or mashed up.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I bought the cranberries to make the real stuff. DH told me not to waste my time he only likes the can stuff. Lol, so canned stuff it is.
  • Options
    Mrs.Greg said:
    On the bag, it says to mash the berries after cooking to make a jelly. Just not sure if whole berries is better or mashed up.
    Ah. Well, they do just break apart a lot during the cooking process... I guess all I've ever had is whole, because I've never heard of a totally fine jelly like that. It'll come down to personal preference... Have a taste when it's done, see if you'd like a different texture, and if so mash those suckers :) 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    They'll sort of pop and break apart during cooking, so you'll end up with some partly intact and some mashed up. I think this is the best texture, but you can just pop them a bit more during cooking if you want a more even consistency. It's just cranberries, sugar and water cooked down so I wouldn't consider it a jelly unless you do/add something else.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I made this cranberry relish today for tomorrow and it's yummy!  If you haven't made yours yet, make this!

https://www.livestrong.com/slideshow/558551-the-10-best-thanksgiving-foods-with-a-recipe-for-each/#slide-3

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    i just put them in a pan with a can of mandarin oranges & its juice (instead of adding water), 1 or 2 peeled/chopped apples, 1 peeled/chopped pear, sugar to taste (about 1/2 cup). any or all spices to taste: cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, ginger (i use them all.) it only takes about a half hour for most of the cranberries to pop. a little more complicated but it's all stuff that's on hand. it's delicious warm or cold, and like Gastro said it's great on the leftovers sandwiches.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"